Sep 032015

September 3, 2015  Posted by at 8:47 am Finance Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , ,  3 Responses »
Debt Rattle September 3 2015

• Syrians are the Famine Irish of the 21st Century (Glavin) • Shocking Images Of Drowned Syrian Boy Show Tragic Plight Of Refugees (Guardian) • Family Of Drowned Syrian Boy Had Been Rejected By Canada For Refugee Status (NP) • Germany Targets Billions in Refugee Aid by Late September (Bloomberg) • Italy Revives Border Checks (Deutsche Welle) • European Police ‘Scarier Than ISIS Terrorists’ (Finian Cunningham) • The End Of A Flawed Globalisation (Guardian) • Devaluation Strengthens China’s Hand at

Read More...
Sep 022015

September 2, 2015  Posted by at 2:56 pm Finance Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,  2 Responses »
Give All Refugees A Free Ticket To Brussels

A few days ago, I joked to Nicole that Paddypower should by now have a bet open on how much longer the Schengen open border treaty will be valid in Europe. Didn’t check if they actually had one, mind you. But it can’t be long anymore, so it wouldn’t be a big money maker even if it existed. I give it a few days at most. Italy just announced it wants guards at Brennero, one of its main border posts

Read More...
Sep 022015

September 2, 2015  Posted by at 8:52 am Finance Tagged with: , , , , , , , , ,  1 Response »
Debt Rattle September 2 2015

• Global Stock Markets Begin September With More Losses (Guardian) • Central Banks To Dump $1.5 Trillion FX Reserves By End 2016 -Deutsche (Reuters) • Investors Wake Up To Emerging Market Currency Risk (FT) • IMF’s Lagarde Sees Weaker Than Expected Global Economic Growth (Reuters) • 2015: The Year China Goes Broke? (Gordon G. Chang) • China Risks An Economic Discontinuity (Martin Wolf) • Alibaba Is the Canary in China’s Coal Mine (Pesek) • China Turns Up Heat On Market

Read More...
Sep 012015

September 1, 2015  Posted by at 9:15 am Finance Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,  4 Responses »
Debt Rattle September 1 2015

• European Efforts to Stem Migrant Tide Sow Chaos on Austria-Hungary Border (WSJ) • Trains Carrying Refugees Reach Germany As EU Asylum Checks Collapse (Reuters) • Hungary Shuts Down Rail Traffic For Westward-Bound Refugees (AP) • The Refugee Crisis Reveals What We Have Become (Martin Sandbu) • Icelanders Call On Government To Take In More Syrian Refugees (Guardian) • Preparing For A Potential Economic Collapse In October (Jeff Thomas) • China PMI Shrinks, Sending Stocks Lower (FT) • Beijing’s Incompetence

Read More...
Aug 312015

August 31, 2015  Posted by at 8:41 pm Finance Tagged with: , , , , , ,  4 Responses »
Nicole Foss Talks Energy, Psychology, Collapse and The Future

Nicole Foss recently participated in a live Google Hangouts (not Skype. I’m told) ‘forum’ discussion at the Doomstead Diner site that also included among others, Gail Tverberg, Steve Ludlum, Norman Pagett and Ugo Bardi. Apologies for the fact that I haven’t watched the videos yet and I’m getting the details as I go, so my info will be a bit sketchy. I’ll run this in episodes. Today’s post contains episode 4. Previously, I posted episode 2 and 1, Nicole Foss

Read More...
Aug 312015

August 31, 2015  Posted by at 10:48 am Finance Tagged with: , , , , , , ,  3 Responses »
Debt Rattle August 31 2015

• China Stocks Extend Biggest Selloff Since 2008 on Rescue Doubts (Bloomberg) • Beijing Abandons Large-Scale Share Purchases (FT) • If the Options Market Is Right, China’s Stock Rescue Is Doomed (Bloomberg) • China Punishes 197 Over Stock Market And Tianjin ‘Rumours’ (BBC) • Families Of China’s ‘Disappeared’: Country Is Place Of ‘Fear And Panic’ (Guar.) • Two Big Winners From China’s Big Slowdown (Pesek) • Jackson Hole Questions Inflation Mastery Sought by Draghi & Co. (Bloomberg) • Looting Made

Read More...
Aug 312015

August 31, 2015  Posted by at 8:48 am Finance Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , ,  9 Responses »
The Real Refugee Crisis Is In The Future

Perhaps Angela Merkel thought we didn’t yet know how full of it she is. Perhaps that’s why she said yesterday with regards to Europe’s refugee crisis that “Everything must move quickly,” only to call an EU meeting a full two weeks later. That announcement show one thing: Merkel doesn’t see this as a crisis. If she did, she would have called for such a meeting a long time ago, and not some point far into the future. With the death

Read More...
Aug 302015

August 30, 2015  Posted by at 10:41 am Finance Tagged with: , , , , , , , , ,  No Responses »
Debt Rattle August 30 2015

• Why We Need To Lie To Ourselves About The State Of The Economy (Satyajit Das) • Fed, ECB, BOE Officials All Say They See Inflation Rising (Bloomberg) • Central Banks Can’t Save Markets From A Crash, And Shouldn’t Try (Guardian) • On Second Thought, China Slowdown Will Hit Global-Growth Outlook (Bloomberg) • How To Make Sense Of China (Elizabeth C. Economy) • China Falters, And The Global Economy Is Forced To Adapt (NY Times) • China Premier Li Says

Read More...
Aug 302015

August 30, 2015  Posted by at 7:24 am Finance Tagged with: , , , , ,  1 Response »
Nicole Foss Talks Energy Industry Issues and Oil Price Collapse

Nicole Foss recently participated in a live Skype ‘forum’ discussion at the Doomstead Diner site that also included, among others, Gail Tverberg, Steve Ludlum, Norman Pagett and Ugo Bardi. Apologies for the fact that I haven’t watched the videos yet and I’m getting the details as I go, so my info may be a bit sketchy. And so is the order the episodes come in here. I understand episode 3 is not even available yet. I’ll run this in episodes.

Read More...
Aug 292015

August 29, 2015  Posted by at 12:15 pm Finance Tagged with: , , , ,  2 Responses »
Nicole Foss Talks Economics At The End Of The Age Of Oil

Nicole Foss recently participated in a live Skype ‘forum’ discussion at the Doomstead Diner site that also included among others, Gail Tverberg and Ugo Bardi. I declined to participate, too many cooks and all that, and seeing how long this thing went on, I have no doubt that was a good decision. Even if my absence obviously reduced the potential charm and entertainment value considerably. I’ll run this in episodes. Today’s post contains the first. Part II- Economics at the

Read More...