A world terrified by impotent ghosts from the past

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum A world terrified by impotent ghosts from the past

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

June 1909. Toledo, Ohio. “The lobby, Hotel Secor.” I cackled with glee upon realizing that this empty-looking time exposure was in fact crowded with s
    [See the full post at: A world terrified by impotent ghosts from the past]

YesMaybe

I don’t know, this seems somewhat incoherent. The main line you’re pushing is that we shouldn’t be stuck on figures from the past whose ideas have proven to be false, such as Keynes, Marx, Friedman, Hayek, etc. But then you suggest Tolle, who is influenced by Buddhism. Now, the Buddha lived 2500 years ago. So what you’re saying isn’t that we should forget about past thinkers. But then what it comes down to is saying that the Buddha’s teachings are correct and eternal, whereas Marx’s or Hayek’s aren’t. Now, this might very well be true. But aren’t you just telling Hayek’s true believers “the people I like to read are right, the people you like to read are wrong”?

I’ll emphasize I’m not defending any of the authors you’re dissing. But it seems that they way you’re framing the whole article is off somehow. My apologies if I’m misunderstanding it.

Ken Barrows
    Participant

What are the underlying assumptions about the possibility of growth (net of debt)? If one thinks (and I do), that this is history, then these old thinkers are indeed passe. All sorts of great ideas could emerge as to how to prosper in a non-growth world. If growth is only prevented by a lack of oil drilling, then the above mentioned thinkers will do.

I’ve read a bunch more of John’s articles on The Slog since we cross posted a couple of articles on DD and the Slog.

First off, John’s main focus appears to be the shenanigans underway by the Political class in Europe and even moreso on his own home turf of the UK. He is definitely anti-conspiracy theory, so his spin is closer to that of TAE than it is to DD. Stylistically John’s stuff appealed to me because he Rants a LOT, and he is a funny guy overall.

The thing I have not been able to elucidate so far in Slog Theory is exactly where John stands with respect to monetary theory, which is at the crux of all the Political problems in Eurotrashland. He doesn’t like Pols on either side of line, but I don’t know what if any kind of monetary solution he favors here.

The main thing though that interferes here with good comunication is that John doesn’t seem to participate much in the commentary even on the Slog itself, so getting an answer to any questions you might have about one of his posts doesn’t seem to happen too often. Reason for this I suspect is that he consumes himself writing an ENORMOUS amount every day of original posting on The Slog. He puts out long and involved posts twice a day most of the time.

Anyhow, regardless of all of that this article is a good one as a broad overview of problems occurring on the other side of the Pond, and The Slog is a good read.

RE
    https://www.doomsteaddiner.com

Buddha and Tolle – living in the “here” and “now”: learning from our past mistakes, but not dwelling on them; looking forward to a bright future, but not getting locked into a particular route (being flexible, realizing some things will work out and some won’t).

Keynes, Hayek, Marx, Friedman – set in stone, inflexible. Disciples (i.e. Krugman) are too locked into a particular model, and when that model is no longer working, they can’t give it up.

YesMaybe, I think that’s what the author meant.

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

Dig Dirt

I like it. I think it is fundamentally important to have a metaphysical framework from which you can at least arrive at peace within yourself, and comment/analyze from there. Sounds like he is doing that.
    I remember this guy Kenneth Wapnick saying in a podcast many years ago that Jesus was sort of saying (with regards to the world) “you don’t try and irrigate the desert, you just leave”. Buddha was sort of saying the same thing with his ‘ the world is a funky mind-hole hologrammy thing and don’t get attatched’ andgle. It seems that it’s sort of the same with the whole capitalism/centralized/globalized thingy. It’s is great to talk about and to a lesser or greater degree we can’t escape it as individuals but you gotta turn away from it a bit in terms of waiting for it to get better. That means to me putting energy/money into local and home economies, paying down debt and all that permaculture TAE stuff we crap on about here. Having said that, watching it all unfold and trying to predict the permutations of the whole thing is kinda rivetting (is that my attachment talking?)
    I think he was giving a bit of a “rant of compassion” in a way.
    I’m suggesting we act and behave as ethically as we can without taking any of it too seriously – Row row row your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily merrily, life is but a dream.

jal
    Participant

A few words can go a long way.

I’m suggesting we act and behave as ethically as we can without taking any of it too seriously – Row row row your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily merrily, life is but a dream.

B)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.