Debt Rattle Sep 19 2014: Scotland and the Spirit of Our Time

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Sep 19 2014: Scotland and the Spirit of Our Time

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Christopher Helin Star auto on steep grade, San Francisco 1922 The quote of the day today must be this one from Belgian EU Trade Commissioner Karel De
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Sep 19 2014: Scotland and the Spirit of Our Time]

Professorlocknload
    Participant

” We ourselves don’t grasp the spirit of our time.”

Oh yes we do, some of us, at least. The spirit of the day is driven by fear of what happens without the perceived security of the nanny state. Liberty has been long ago traded for that security. As I observe masses lining up in front of Apple stores today, to gleefully voluntarily purchase the latest Leviathan issued personal tracking device, I realize how effective Bread and Circuses are as an incentive to fall in line behind Pied Pipers.

Even a California secession ballot initiative has been stopped in it’s tracks by state election regulators. “Vote Counters” if you will. But of course, it can’t be allowed to gain enough traction to proceed to the point of needing to adjust the outcome of an election, for seasonal factors, mind you. Or maybe political hedonics?

Again, any government big enough to give you what you want, is big enough to take everything you have,,,including your right to choose. Just as the militarized police believe they have been granted consent to pump 25 rounds into a “suspect”, the very government they work for has now assumed (rightly so?) it has absolute consent of the “governed” to wrest control from them for their own good.

So, continue scampering off to the polls, begging the state to allow you to pull the levers in bought and paid for, predetermined outcome, elections. By doing so, are you not simply reinforcing the consent you have granted your masters to select and screen the limited choices offered you?

Somehow, I don’t think the phrase ” The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants” had anything to do with asking permission to register to vote.

Buy, hey, turn in that gun and “we” will grant you safe passage.

Ken Barrows
    Participant

When pension systems begin to fail, becoming independent will be easy.

SteveB
    Participant

I still think global population will peak closer to 2035 than 2050.

Glennda
    Participant

Hey Ilargi

Grandma‘s dementia setting in?
    • Janet Yellen Believes You Can Get Rich By Going Into Debt (Phoenix)

I normally am inspired by your clear view of the world, but today I need to call you on one of your comments about Janet Yellen. I think she is the fall “gal” for tbtb, but calling her “Grandma” is really too sexist. Would you have called her predecessor “Grandpa”?

I’ve come to suspect that there is a reason that a black man became president and a woman is running for it. That’s to be the scape-goat when things go bad as they surly will. Only the 2nd string politicians are standing on the front line these days. The Rich ones are hunkering down somewhere else or have a bolt hole.

I’m personally starting to plan for the possibility of an October crash. Since I have no money in banks to speak of, I have little to plan for. If not October then March, but who knows? I think a cold winter could tip Europe and elsewhere.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Yesterday was the election. Today we feel so betrayed. Duh?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-19/was-scottish-vote-rigging-caught-tape

Betrayed my ass, stupid is more like it. Legitimacy was just given to the power, in the form of “voter” turnout.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Yes sir, Ken. When they pretend to feed us, and we pretend to eat food that is no longer there, about two thirds will sit on the curb and cry, while the one third will develop some individualist cajones and instigate the healing process.

Meanwhile, I am reminded of Claire Wolfe’s book “Freedom Outlaws Handbook:179 Things to Do ‘Til the Revolution.”

zander.c
    Participant

” it was about increasing wealth, not about making your own decisions in times of less wealth. ”

Bingo, and the latter was why I was such an ardent yes initially, as foolishly, I imagined that’s where we were heading under the SNP and the fact that the former turned out to be their driving motive infuriated me,…. no matter.

Salmond has resigned, but far from gloating I am a very downhearted Scot this evening and wondering if I have let spite and lust for revenge cloud my judgement, I am now regretting we have voted no.
    The Union jack waving loyalist bigots are causing bother in George square, Glasgow, and already there is talk of London reneging on the pre vote panic promises, not that those bribes were my reason for voting no.
    I have made a mistake, and am almost reduced to tears by it.

A very sad Z

rapier
    Participant

IM’s enthusiasm for Yes which he explains well here was based upon tactical thinking. That being yes would launch a period of change. In the end change will come anyway. Would yes have brought a more coherent change? I have no clue. I suspect not. The complete lack of a plan for a currency is the tell. There is no possible way to run a modern nation unless it is part of the financial colossus. It’s borrow, inflate or nothing.

Investing too much energy in the political moment is probably a mistake. Well it is for someone like me in their 60’s. But AE knows the best and only way to expend political energy is locally. The big picture is just too big and resistant to change from below.

I had not mentioned here that a close vote was absolutely going to go the no way. It’s just too easy to fix these things. Surprisingly it seems some losers are looking there now but 10% is just too big. I believe a strong margin of yes votes, if not 10%, because the status quo is just the safest and best choice for most people.

Regret and recrimination if it persists will result in nearly as much change as a yes vote would have perhaps. It just won’t be as nice and neat but really, why should that be expected?

Glennda,

… calling her “Grandma” is really too sexist. Would you have called her predecessor “Grandpa”?

Here’s what I said Sep 12:

The Fed is about perception. About trying to make people believe something, and make them act a certain way that they choose for them.

That’s why after the Oracle left they pushed first a bearded gnome and then a grandma forward as the public face. The kind of people nobody would perceive as a threat. Putting a guy who looks like second hand car salesman in charge of the Fed wouldn’t work.

So no, no sexism. Then again, how many female garden gnomes do you know, let alone bearded ones? I know, I kill me …

zander, I hear you again, you and Euan and all my other Scotch buddies must be shaken still. I’m still going to stick with my viewpoints that I wrote about a lot, but then I ain’t Scotch.

And yes, I was thinking the same thing: why would Cameron stick with anything he said; he’s going to make him now?

Z Don’t beat yourself up, If you’d voted “Yes”, the result would be “No”! You had a very legitimate reason, Salmond.
    Assuming the vote was fair, I think the “Yes” campaign was lost because of the huge uncertainty about the currency which was instigated by Westminster who had no reason to make it easy and refused to solidify policy on this issue on purpose, as well as leaning on all and sundry within big business to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.

At least the punishment for the Scots from Westminster for returning a narrow “No” will be less than that for a “Yes”. There would have been punishment, independant Scotland would have had to fail for the good of the EU!

Glennda
    Participant

“That’s why after the Oracle left they pushed first a bearded gnome and then a grandma forward as the public face. The kind of people nobody would perceive as a threat. Putting a guy who looks like second hand car salesman in charge of the Fed wouldn’t work.

So no, no sexism. Then again, how many female garden gnomes do you know, let alone bearded ones? I know, I kill me …”

Okay, Ilargi, I stand corrected. I really can’t see you as a sexist.

Still grandmas and garden gnomes are the fall guys.

Raleigh
    Participant

“The Scotland Referendum: Who Voted How And Why?

Voters aged 16-17: YES: 71%; NO: 29%
    Voters aged 65+: YES: 27%; NO: 73%”

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-19/scotland-referendum-who-voted-how-and-why

The old against the young. Is it because of old-age pension worries? Read somewhere that, like Quebec, Scotland takes more from the relationship than they give, but I don’t know if that’s correct or not.

John Day
    Participant

War, Slippin’ Into Darkness:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFSWW4O6QNM
    Rulers don’t “get” the Zeitgeist (spirit of the times), but it gets them.
    Zeitgeist gets everybody.
    We are all together in this deep perception/creation of our ongoing world.
    It’s a lot of perceptual change to embrace our togetherness, not our separation.
    Once we deeply embrace that knowledge, feeling compassion and fondness for all (even Draghi and Yellen) of our confused, clownish co-conspirators, then we can be of benefit.
    We can help co-create a more engaged, communal world awareness.
    No more us-vs-them “solutions”.

Raleigh
    Participant

Saw this quote, apparently from Mark Twain:

“If voting made any difference, they wouldn’t let us do it.”

John Day
    Participant

@ Raleigh
    Mark Twain is still the great American writer, and one of my teachers in life.

Raleigh
    Participant

John Day – Mark Twain was wit, intelligence and common sense all rolled into one, a unique character that unfortunately doesn’t come around very often.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.