Hubris Before The Storm

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Hubris Before The Storm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Image: chensonism.blogspot.com I was leafing through some recent Bloomberg articles and noticed this running thread connecting them: hubris, decisions
    [See the full post at: Hubris Before The Storm]

hcp6791

I actually read this over at the globe and mail. A lot of the commenters over there actually believe this is a shrewd diversification plan by the CPP. Face meet palm.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cpp-investment-board-makes-1-billion-real-estate-investment/article4398134/comments/

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Not to worrry. As long as there are Central Banks, government pension plans will be 100% funded. This system is a closed loop. This investment by CPP is, of course, backed by the full faith and credit of the Central Bank and the Taxpayers of Canada. We, here in The Peoples Republic of California won’t be outdone by Canada. We have Cal PERS to do the job of speculating on any wild scheme that some hot shot finance promoter can sell.

To prove we are equal players of the Hubris card, the omnipotent Governor of this state has just pledged his signature on the High Speed Rail to Nowhere project, knowing it’s ultimate cost will amount to well over $68 Billion, while simultaneously declaring a budget deficit crisis. Go figure?

Anonymous

Empty office floors could be put to less prestigious uses, vertical farming or energy production to supply occupied parts of the building, vacant space within buildings need not go unused.

FrankRichards
    Participant

As for EROEI of renewables, has Stoneleigh calculated the EREOI of the the firewood she cuts on her farm every year? Sun and rain are free (ok, rain not free everywhere, but it is in Ontario)

A liter of chainsaw mix, and a bit of diesel for the tractor will keep you warm for days, even up between Ottawa and Montreal.

FrankRichards
    Participant

@Gravity, would you or someone please explain the EROEI of vertical farming? Only the south side of the building gets adequate sun. (North in Oz) You’ve got to pump water everywhere. The only way to retain micronutrients is to recycle human waste. If you only do NPK your plants will have as many deficiency issues as the people who eat them.

As near as I can tell, you either pour in fossil fuel at a rate that makes GMO corn look cheap or you tie up enough space garnering the renewable energy and nutrients to just raise the food normally.

AndrewP

A little reality check. Space in The Burj Khalifa costs as low as 2,650 dirhams per ft^2 which is $720/ft^2. That cost per sq ft would make an ordinary house cost millions of dollars. I know commercial real estate is higher due to concrete and steel, zoning regs, etc… but such a high rate is absurd. That is an awful lot to pay for the prestige of being in the world’s tallest building.

Basseterre Kitona
    Participant

Does anybody know if the Burj Khalifa is fully open? I had heard a rumour that parts of the building were closed off due to inadequate electrical supply for climate control. Apparently the un-air conditioned parts of the building reached 180º F at times (hot enough to be fatal in 30 minutes). It’s just a rumour that I heard, of course, and I’ve no idea if it were true. But it wouldn’t shock me if it were true and there was a cover-up.

roamer

IMO that type of Hubris is small compared to the more less lack of national concern for a failing corn crop while we have record low levels of grain supplies. Unless the US corn belt gets rain there isn’t going to be enough food to go around this next year….

snuffy
    Participant

Most of that “corn”is industrial feedstock.I had so much rain this year I have doubts about my corn…even the short-season o.p. variety I use up here…My orchard is breaking limbs w/fruit[The chickens will eat well this fall]…just depends where you hang your hat.

Bee good,or
    Bee careful

snuffy

roamer

Snuffy, Industrial feedstock or not most peoples food is a derivative of corn. Yeah there are pockets doing OK but no rain this week for corn belt and we are looking at potential for 50% +reduction in national yields. Somebody is going to come out on the short end of this stick there would not be enough reserve to pick up the slack. Unless we saw a miracle of the highest order and the President did something useful, like a forced mandate to grow your own produce and chickens NOW!

snuffy
    Participant

I recognize the tie that our highly-processed food has with corn & derivatives,A couple 3 of films out..King corn,Food Inc, and Forks over Knives have clued me in..as well as some of the discussions were have had here at TAE.
    What I think will smooth out the kinks your referring to will be the price of meat skyrocketing[as well as feed]and the importation of a lot of stuff from overseas….folks are always shocked silly at how much food we import from China ,Mexico,and points south.

There will be more empty bellies somewhere…but I very much doubt here.

Bee good,or
    Bee careful

snuffy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.