A Guide to American Political Ironies

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum A Guide to American Political Ironies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gutzon Borglum Mount Rushmore, Repairing Lincoln’s nose 1962     Dr. D figured his last missive was a bit heavy handed. So he went for somet
    [See the full post at: A Guide to American Political Ironies]

Dr. D
    Participant
    zerosum
    Participant

Therefore,
    If I went to university I would have been taught the truth about our past?

If I went to university I would not believe fake news?

I can only conclude that I have not been taught the truth.

I’m not going to do a “fact check”
    I’ll just take another “grain of salt”.

crandolph
    Participant

Lincoln wasn’t the first Republican POTUS candidate, John C Fremont was in 1856. Lincoln was first to win.

regionswork
    Participant

You had to be there. The U.S. invented #failureofintelligence.

In journalism one is taught to slant the writing to fit the audience. If writing a feature for a magazine or newspaper, the nature of the average reader is known, so you compose the story, feature details of the sort the audience likes.

Birds of a feather subscribe together.

Slant became spin in real time, as operatives or evangelists went out to promote interpretations of this or that. It became overt as internet connectivity speeded up the spread of words and images.

Earlier, the fax machines in corporate offices enabled a good joke to cross the country in a day.

Marshall McLuhan observed “The medium is the message” in 1964, which proved to be true, though students of communications today aren’t taught his work. I always ask, they don’t recognize the name.

The new media have speeded things up, but the first reports are often inaccurate because witnesses see a piece of an event, so can’t really know the full event. Warnings are valuable, but only a data point.

Inaccurate news may carry a slant or spin from any source.

Historians deliver olds news in depth, but can misinterpret the past as easily as we do the present.

I feel this is a normal challenge for an experimental planet. Communication is not that easy, for the minds of senders and receivers are always changing, learning and forgetting.

Irony can be humorous. Great emphasis is put on branding these days. A brand is really just a name that has garnered some positive attributes over time. Chevrolet Malibu was once an appealing car 1960s-70s. Then Malibu was a nameplate Chevy slapped on a variety of different models.

Republican and Democrat are labels now slapped on a variety of models that have no correlation to the past. As an Eisenhower Republican who cast my first vote in boot camp for Nixon in 1968. I did not support the war, but did my duty. For years I have had no home. Working in Virginia, everyone was a fiscal conservative.

There is no new money, only debt, so promises won’t be kept. The military-industrial-legislative-financial-health-educational complex have given us a future of pay more, get less.

The political tribes go to extremes to protect their high value members. Emotion is inadequate putty to fill in the underlying resource gaps. None of what debt built by consuming the future is sustainable. Entrophy is taking it down and we’re not smart enough to stick to a discipline of what is maintainable.

V. Arnold
    Participant

regionswork

Nice post; thoughtful, painting an accurate view of U.S. today.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.