Debt Rattle March 26 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 26 2017

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Marion Post Wolcott “Center of town. Woodstock, Vermont. Snowy night” 1940   • Will Trump’s Victory Break Up the Democratic Party? (Michael Hudso
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 26 2017]

rapier
    Participant

On the American Midwest. I grew up in Illinois, a good a place as any to be considered the heart of the Midwest. To me, someone with a keen interest in geography, the areas discussed in the NG article were never considered part of the Midwest, but that’s me. At any rate the term Midwest has no precise meaning. In historical terms however it’s best to understand the the Midwest ends at the 100th parallel.

https://greatplainstrail.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/rain.jpg

West of the 100th rainfall averages below 20″/yr and the elevation is mostly over 2000′. These are the High Plains and what was called well into the 19th century The Great American Desert. When the area was finally settled by homesteading it was wheat country but tapping the aquifer turned it into corn county. An insane thing made possible by economics. No economics is going to bring the water back just like it won’t bring the oil back and it should be noted that 100th parallel is a pretty good marker for where Americas oil was, and now still is via fracking.

Well all to do about nothing but just to say that this story of the Ogallala isn’t really about the Midwest but I’ll certainly forgive a Dutchman for thinking it is. Hell even many East and West coast Americans think it is.

I actually do have an idea where the Midwest is, but as you say it doesn’t seem to be in the same spot for everyone. The Ogallala to me was always -under- the Great Plains. The Great Desert Plains for the next 10 generations or so.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.