Debt Rattle May 24 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle May 24 2020

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Walker Evans Street Scene, Vicksburg, Mississippi 1936   • Trump: ‘I Have A Chance To Break The Deep State’ (Attkisson) • The Influential Evangel
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle May 24 2020]

zerosum
    Participant

Why me!!!!!

The definition of a survivor is a person who copes with a bad situation or affliction and who gets through, or a person who manages to live through a situation that often causes death.

1. I read TAE.

zerosum
    Participant

Options

Buy from USA or do without
    Buy from USA companies or do without
    Buy from non USA companies and pay tariffs.

or

Don’t buy

Rototillerman
    Participant

But okay, there are CDC guidelines that may have played a role in the nursing home disaster. Only, what are those guidelines?

Through March and April, the CDC guidelines for release from the transmission protocol were that the patient had to be symptom-free for 72 hours (no fever / no cough, though the cough was open to interpretation) and they had to have two consecutive negative PCR tests 24 hours apart. However, nursing homes and congregated living facilities could accept patients not meeting those guidelines back if they had the capability to properly isolate and care for sick patients. However, there is a lot of leeway in judging if a facility has that capability; my wife the epidemiologist says that staff has to be properly trained and equipped with appropriate PPE for the care tasks involved. For someone interacting closely with a resident that would be the full gown/gloves/mask, while someone delivering a meal and staying six feet away could probably just wear a mask. But here are some of the key take-away: nursing home staff are usually not medically trained (though there is always a medically trained supervisor) and nursing home staff are usually low-paid workers, sometimes without much (if any) paid sick leave. Thus you have a pretty high chance of staff becoming infected, and then they don’t know it at the asymptomatic early stages; later, the incentives are to keep working while possibly low-grade symptomatic, because they need the pay for their families to survive and they don’t have paid sick leave. My take on it is that arguing over whether CDC guidelines are to blame is probably a red herring, and the real failures are more subtle. Our state followed the CDC guidelines and didn’t have the kind of disaster New York experienced; I don’t think it is just the scale of the case load in New York. My wife says the AP article doesn’t really have the kind of detail to make a judgement on the appropriateness of what was done.

Maxwell Quest
    Participant

“Trump: ‘I Have A Chance To Break The Deep State’ (Attkisson)”

“The kingdom of God advances through a series of glorious victories, cleverly disguised as disasters. (Ken Eldred)”

No, I’m not a fan of the Evangelical movement. One Dark Ages was enough, where sparks of light were hunted down and destroyed as enemies of an all-powerful Church. But I do recognize success when I see it, even when it is disguised as failure.

Occupy Wall Street from all appearances was a failure, but before it died it was able to plant some powerful ideas into the public consciousness, ideas that have only grown more dominant since the days of Zuccotti Park. Before OWS, the average man of the street had never thought about the wealth inequality problem (1% vs 99%), nor how it could be traced back to the vampirism of Wall Street. Now, the idea is as prolific as dandelions.

Trump also appears like a complete failure, and may never make the slightest progress with his foreign or domestic policy goals, but I have a suspicion that the ideas that he planted into the public consciousness will live on and thrive. Ideas like “Fake News” and “Deep State” for example. These are powerful ideas that can change the course of history when they finally bear their fruit.

zerosum
    Participant

The only way that restaurants etc can stay in business, is to impose a surcharge on the remaining customers to cover the increased costs.

I don’t agree. I, for one, are finding ways to make my dollar go farther.

The USA has lost 40 million customers, (U.I.)
    The approx. remaining +60% are still living paycheck to paycheck.

Those approx. 10% of well to do middle class enablers are finding out that everyone one want a portion of what you have to cover their increased cost that they cannot or will not reduce. (Taxes, rent )

The 1% don’t care because they belong to restricted exclusive clubs and their can afford to pay to be segregated from the rifraf and the servant enablers.

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:

Falling into that catigory Toronto doesn’t seem to want to cut their costs!

They are threatening the provincial and federal governments, by saying they will layoff 20,000 workers if their $1.5 billion shortfall isn’t covered by the two higher levels of governments.. Hopefully their demands fall on deaf ears. Naturally they have done nothing but keep spending money they don’t have. If Toronto ratepayers had to make up the deficit, their property taxes would need to double!

upstateNYer
    Participant

Rotertillerman: if you happen to read this and feel inclined to respond… since your wife is an epidemiologist I wonder if you’d mind asking her just what it is that NY got so wrong with this virus? I live in NY and the numbers here are simply appalling. Yes, NY City has density, but so do a lot of other cities/countries. Even here in upstate NY, my county has over 1800 cases and 100+ deaths (pop 450,000). I remain perplexed as to just how it has gotten so far off track here compared with nearly everywhere else …

WES
    Participant

Ontario’s virus cases continue to climb while testing declines.

The Premier says everyone can get tested but local health units decline to test just anyone. You need to meet their testing criteria still. No wonder testing has fallen!

People know better than to waste their time and energy trying to get tested.

Just anothers reason Ontario’s lockdown failed.

WES
    Participant

UpstateNYer:

One thing NY and Ontario both got wrong is allowing the virus to get injected into nursing homes.

In Ontario 79% of deaths were in it’s nursing homes! Many nursing home workers work in multiple nursing homes to put together many part time jobs into a full time job.

Not sure what percentage of NY’s deaths were in nursing homes but suspect very high.

By my calculation, only about 30% are wearing masks in Ontario. Bet NY is about the same!

upstateNYer
    Participant

Thank you, Wes. I don’t think our stats for nursing home deaths are as high as you’re experiencing. I found data from 5 days ago that shows about 25% of NY deaths are in nursing homes (note: does not include nursing home residents admitted to hospital and then died so it’s undoubtedly much higher %). In NY our testing has ramped up considerably. There are well-publicized “pop up” testing sites in our county where you can simply show up and get tested, no referral, no symptoms. As far as masks? That’s hard to gauge since I’ve never been a very good consumer so rarely go out shopping … but the times I go shopping, people have masks on. I think most NYers feel pretty beat up at this point by this virus. NYC is the worst affected, and many counties have little spread so probably don’t wear masks? But here in my county we mostly are.

VietnamVet
    Participant

Yes, the pandemic has made the world bi-polar; China, Vietnam, Cuba, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Austria and the other nations and local states and provinces where government still works and the public health system stopped the virus spread dead and the rest of earth still suffering from the coronavirus pandemic.

A WaPo editorial said “Diagnostic testing is important, absent a vaccine or therapy, as part of a concerted effort to identify the sick, isolate and treat them, and allow everyone else to get back to business.” Then goes on to say why testing is so necessary. No doubt to please the for-profit corporations who develop and administer the tests. But it completely ignores that the only way to control the virus everywhere in the USA is with a working federal government public health system. No mention that the CDC is sidelined.

It is not a coincidence that the top eight nations with the most cases of coronavirus are those ruled by corporations and oligarchs and the politicians bought and paid for. The Elite are simply unwilling put people back to work to control the pandemic. That will take a portion of their wealth. It is of no matter to them that spending the money now avoids the enormous costs later of the Greatest Depression, the collapse of the Western Empire, and the quarantine and halt of trade with pariah nations that remain infected with the Wuhan coronavirus.

upstateNYer
    Participant

Correction: I shouldn’t have said “I think most NYers feel pretty beat up at this point by this virus.” How would I know what most NYers are feeling??? My apologies. A bit of an assumption on my part there.

Rototillerman
    Participant

@upstateNYer: one of the things my wife is very cautious about is making statements with incomplete data. So, unfortunately she is very disinclined to speculate about the way things went so far off track in New York. She does know colleagues in the New York state health system, and I’m sure at some point they’ll be sitting in Atlanta eating dinner after a CDC meeting and beans will get spilled. If I get the story at some point, I’ll report back here. It may be quite a while, however, since of course CDC is communicating with state health departments by Zoom like everyone else, instead of flying them in for periodic meetings.

upstateNYer
    Participant

VietnamVet: You are correct, we have no public health system to speak of in the US. And while we have testing sites where you can get tested without referral/symptoms … most cost some pretty big bucks ($150 – $200) if you don’t have health insurance. We do have a public health clinic in this county that does testing for free, but that has limited testing sites and usually requires a person to travel to Syracuse for testing (many rural residents won’t consider that an option). The clinic is starting to open up more testing options with the pop up clinics in more rural areas (kind of late).

One thing many people lose sight of is the fact there is an entire state attached to New York City. 😉 The City’s infection rate is very high (close to 20%), but in the remainder of the state it’s still [generally] around 2% or less. We have a LONG way to go before we’re on the other side of this if we don’t get it under control. As you so succinctly pointed out, we have no system in place to get it under control.

It can be hard to read the comments about the pandemic being a “nothing burger” because here in NY, it is far from that. My friend lost a very close cousin to Covid-19 (blood clot, no underlying health conditions) so you’d be hard pressed to convince me that “business as usual” and just let people die is the answer to a pandemic.

upstateNYer
    Participant

Rototillerman: Darn those conservative scientists thinking they need data to accurately assess a situation!!! LOL. Thank you for asking her. Will look forward to getting the inside scoop, hopefully, someday, maybe, if it’s possible …

V. Arnold
    Participant

Well spoke/done Steve Keen; everything pretty much spot on…
    Like Trang, Ratchaburi (where I live), has had a total of 7 cases and hasn’t had a new CV-19 for weeks.
    Thailand and Asia in general have been models of common sense and excellent on the ground management of the virus. Having intact, quality, healthcare for all, has proven its excellence.
    Essentially, we’re still a mentally healthy society, unlike the insane west.
    Thanks again Prof. Keen…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.