Debt Rattle May 8 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle May 8 2020

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

NPC Shad fishing on the Potomac 1920   • US Death Toll Would Have Been Halved Had It Acted 4 Days Sooner (SCMP) • US Doctors Want Details On Fede
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle May 8 2020]

Something I was thinking about but forgot to mention earlier: I noticed that Belgium has both

• the highest number of deaths per 1 million pop. (735) AND
    • the highest number of tests per 1 million pop. (44,456).

Is there a link between the two? Not sure. You may find more cases if you test more, but not necessarily deaths. Then again, Belgium is the only country I know that has so expressly stated that it wants to be as honest as possible about its numbers, which will inevitably push up at least some of them.

zerosum
    Participant

• Blood Thinners May Help Sickest COVID19 Patients Survive
    Old wife tale seem to still apply
    Take an aspirin, water, rest,
    ———
    If your country is not on the covid charts,
    If your country doesn’t have a “stock makrket”
    If your country doesn’t keep track of the unemployed servants
    If your country does not have “Fourth Estate’s” insidious political agendas
    If your country does not track GDP to see if it in contracting due to the pandemic.

your country must be doing something better.
    ——
    Correction
    Black People SERVANTS ARE Four Times More Likely To Die From COVID19 – ONS (G.)

Mr. House
    Participant

This is us

“Conquered men, women, children, elderly people — they don’t spontaneously rise up and try to kill people who abuse and oppress them. Most people are not heroic. Most people are easily terrified, especially once they have already been placed in subjugated position. And if they are heroic, they usually die heroic deaths, alone. It continues to happen all over the world. Right now, somewhere, someone is being beaten and horribly abused and even if given the opportunity to strike back at the person doing the abuse, they won’t take it.

In Roman Britain, the tribes didn’t stage a successful coup against the occupying forces even when given ample opportunity and more than enough reason to unite. On three separate occasions, the governor of Britain broke off from the empire. Even in a state of Roman civil war, the tribes were unable to eject the Romans. The one very notable case of rebellion was during Suetonius Paulinus’ campaign in what is now Wales. The leader of the Iceni, Boudica, was beaten and her daughters were raped because Boudica challenged the transition of her late husband’s authority to the Roman governor (Paulinus). Only with Londinium essentially vacated of military forces did the Iceni and Trinovantes dare to attack. They were successful in causing a huge amount of civilian damage, but in the end, Paulinus’ troops rolled over the Iceni and routed them. The nearby Brigantes provided essentially no help to the Iceni and at least one source suggests Boudica may have even been poisoned by the Brigantes’ queen. Someone mentioned Nero earlier; it’s worth noting that all of this happened under Nero’s rule and Rome still easily held Britain despite Nero’s general lack of… being good as an emperor.

This pattern can be found a lot in history. It’s rare for spontaneous uprisings to happen against conquerors. Or rather, it’s more appropriate to say that it is extremely common for abusive occupation to go effectively uncontested for years, decades, or even centuries.”

zerosum
    Participant

I don’t want t see all this reality.
    Reality is even making my dreams into nightmares.
    The only good thing ….. I realize …..
    Boy! oh Boy!
    I’m a lucky.servant.

Mr. House:
    “Divide and conquer” probably started as “It’s easier to conquer divided populations”.
    Boudica was probably envied by that other queen, and that other queen was probably easily bought off by the trinkets and promises of the Romans- so long as she remained a thorn in Boudica’s side.

Concerning taters:
    And let’s not forget Andrew Taylor of Melbourne who ate nothing but spuds for a year and dropped 115 pounds. Nutritionists do not recommend the diet.

Huskynut
    Participant

A good article just posted by Matt Taibbi on why the hastily drafted mortgage support measures are likely to fail, having misunderstood the structure of the industry. 2008 redux: https://taibbi.substack.com

Huskynut
    Participant

Also, for anyone interested the NZ government has just started releasing its internal advice papers.

I had a quick scan, and the COVID-19-Moving-to-Alert-Level-3-and-Level-4 minute and paper of 23rd march seems particularly relevant. I noted:
    – it references Australia’s environment and decisions as pertinent and applicable to NZ. But after laying out it’s recommendations, it doesn’t contrast how these recommendations compare (and exceed) the Australia response.
    – it provides rationale for moving immediately to Level 3 (as the Aussies did). It then asserts that moving to L4 is inevitable, but provides no justification or rationale why this should be true
    – it seems that the L4 decision was essentially pre-determined by officials and not rationally justified to politicians. In conjunction with Ian Harrison’s modelling I’ve previously linked to, I venture wither the advice of University of Otago (ie who released only results from their model of L0 and L4 scenarios) was trusted at face value. Or an offline discussion took place between officials and modellers, and the commonly agreed results were released
    – it mentions Italy and Iran as scenarios to avoid, and Singapore and Taiwan as ones to emulate. There appears to be no consideration of why NZ was unlikely to follow the trajectory of these exemplars eg due to differing population densities, less pollution etc. Therefore there is no consideration of alternate/third paths forward
    – finally as with most countries without federal government systems, the response assumes a one-size-fits-all strategy across the country. That certainly simplifies planning and communication, but it also guarantees an excessive response in regions of lesser risk

I’m (mostly) over my anger at the response.. it’s water under the bridge now. But in the spirit of “fool me once, shame on you..” etc), it’s clear with some analyses we can prepare better decision-making frameworks for future pandemic responses (noting these should of course have existed prior to Covid).

Also interesting that the inter-governmental process of ensuring sound decision making within NZ is that a paper called a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) accompanies each recommendation. It’s essentially a problem statement, and a weighted list of possible responses with pros and cons, and a consequent recommendation to proceed. This process has recently been suspended for Covid-related responses. Possibly this can be justified by urgency, but there’s little doubt this wont improve the quality of analysis. One of my friends used to run QA on the RIS’s as they arrived, and was routinely dismayed at their quality at first pass. Imagine what removing them altogether is likely to create!

redshift
    Participant

Something I was thinking about but forgot to mention earlier: I noticed that Belgium has both

• the highest number of deaths per 1 million pop. (735) AND
    • the highest number of tests per 1 million pop. (44,456).

Is there a link between the two? Not sure. You may find more cases if you test more, but not necessarily deaths. Then again, Belgium is the only country I know that has so expressly stated that it wants to be as honest as possible about its numbers, which will inevitably push up at least some of them.

When it comes to deaths, only if you discard San Marino, which is an acceptable discard. On tests, however, there are some non-discardable countries above Belgium.

Nevertheless, there might be some correlation between the two since more people already identified with Covid19 are more likely to be have it as a cause of death in the death certificate.

John Day
    Participant

I accidentally rushed off to do a whole lot of things on “May the Fourth Be With You” day, after saying I was rushing off to get my SARS-CoV-2 antibody test done, which I did, but not at the first place. They sent me to another place, so it took a couple of hours. The result got sent to my work by mistake, but that’s ok. It got to me. I’m as susceptible as anybody. Whatever I had last fall, that was going around, was something else.
    I left the laptop in Yoakum that lets me sign in to TAE, again, same mistake, so it’s Friday night and I’m posting some ketchup…

The lovely low-rent-Permaculture, “downshifter’s guide to the future” book, Retrosuburbia, which 560 pages I bought for $100 last year (worth it) is now available as online book for whatever-you-feel-is-right. Check it out!
    https://retrosuburbia.com/

Political speech takes many forms, and others can chime in. Important to watch this trend.
    The Governor of Texas is watching, and took the side against his own edicts, after seeing how the wind blew. (I don’t like him, but he’s not stupid.)
    Half million dollars of donations and counting…
    Thousands Donate To GoFundMe For Jailed Salon Owner Who Stood Up To Judge In Viral Video
    https://www.zerohedge.com/health/thousands-donate-gofundme-jailed-salon-owner-who-stood-judge-viral-video
    https://www.zerohedge.com/political/jailed-salon-owner-freed-tx-supreme-court-rakes-500k-gofundme-donations

​ ​German scientist, Professor Hendrik Streeck has been studying groups of subjects in his country and has reached a number of compelling provisional findings regarding the viral behaviour of the new Coronavirus…
    He also presented data which gives an indication of an “Infected Fatality Rate” (IFR), eg. the percentage of people infected who will end up dying. New findings show a COVID-19 infection fatality rate of between 0.24 – 0.36% (as opposed to Neil Ferguson who claims the IFR to be just under 1%, perhaps 0.8-0.9%). Previous interviews with UnHerd, with experts like Johan Giesecke who believes the IFR is closer to 0.1%, or one in a thousand.
    The difference between IFR is important, not least of all because this statistic will be used by governments to determine he relative severity of the threat in question.

Leading German Virologist: ‘COVID-19 Less Deadly Than We Thought’

John Day
    Participant

http://www.johndayblog.com
    Gotta’ wonder if we could do something like this in the US, maybe even paying more…
    ​ ​In 2018, Pakistan pledged to plant ten billion trees in an effort to slow climate change and to replenish a landscape that has been decimated by decades of deforestation, livestock grazing, and drought. It was an ambitious goal, but as the Washington Post reported at the time, “the idea of a green awakening seems to be taking root… The concept appeals to a new generation of better-educated Pakistanis, and it has sparked excitement on social media.”
    ​ ​That program, whose name is 10 Billion Tree Tsunami, has been chugging along for the past two years, but it recently received an unexpected infusion of help from – of all things – the coronavirus. Many Pakistanis are suddenly unemployed, so the government has given them jobs as tree-planters. Unemployed day laborers have been turned into “jungle workers,” planting saplings for 500 rupees a day ($3), which is roughly half of what a construction worker would normally earn. It’s not a lot, but it’s enough to get by​…​
    https://www.treehugger.com/environmental-policy/pakistan-turns-unemployed-workers-tree-planters.html

U.S. energy use in 2019 (That big flow chart they do every year)

Visualizing America’s Energy Use, in One Giant Chart

WES
    Participant

Redshift:

The thing about Belgium is that if the person who died showed symptoms of coronavirus, then their death certificate said they died of coronavirus.

Remember to that many who died were never tested for the virus due to a shortage of tests.

I don’t think Belgium fared any worst than anybody else.

More likely everyone else is under reporting!

WES
    Participant

John Day:

Up here in Toronto we are just beginning five days where night time temperatures drop below freezing.

We even saw snow flakes falling, Olde Man Winter’s way of saying “Hi, I am still here!”

No garden yet!

WES
    Participant

Recently, supposedly some great justice or injustice happened in DC.

Since the main stream media aren’t reporting it, it probably didn’t happened.

kimyo99
    Participant

john day: an effort to restore north america’s forest cover could require giving land back to the bison/buffalo. they are at least in part the reason that north america’s cropland was so fertile and productive.

Buffalo & Native Americans

Buffalo once roamed from the eastern seaboard to Oregon and California, from Great Slave Lake in northern Alberta down into northern Mexico. Although no one will ever know exactly how many bison once inhabited North America, estimates range from twenty to forty million.

“It would have been as easy to count or to estimate the number of leaves in a forest as to calculate the number of buffaloes living at any given time during the history of the species previous to 1870.”

VietnamVet
    Participant

Two nations in the five eyes English language intelligence consortium controlled the Wuhan Coronavirus epidemic; two did not. Canada is a tossup looking bad in 12th place. Two are islands. Three possess all or most of a continent. All are mostly surrounded by oceans except for the Mexican border. Two were near previous coronavirus outbreaks. All have immigration issues. Three are next to developing nations.

Australia and New Zealand retained functional governments that did their job and protected the public health. In the USA and UK, hubris rules. The Oligarchs and Corporate Managers drowned these national governments in the toilet. Wild ass theories that support “greed is good” and “there is no society” seized control. With the public health system dismantled and all around dysfunctional, the UK and the USA governments are unable to fight the Pandemic. The USA is about to reopen piecemeal which will raise the number of deaths to near 9/11 levels every day for foreseeable future.

Yes, Americans are bamboozled but it is just hard to image they would quietly die from the virus, or with no food, no healthcare, no income and their homes foreclosed again without an uprising. Hopefully the 90% will work together to restore a constitution democracy that would combat the virus and repair the economy which at some point in the future 2020 would be a bad memory for the survivors like the Spanish flu was to my grandparents who lost a father and a mother a century ago. But, instead, staying the current course will lead to the splintering the USA into nuclear armed regional states and the UK into England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

Carlos Jimenez
    Participant

Mr House, great piece apropos of passivity under oppression and/or occupation. A keeper. However, no attribution?

I’d like to know who wrote such a good insighit.

Boudica’s name perdures in time but few people know the name of the Queen that apparently poisoned her…

Carlos Jimenez
    Participant

I’ve been a busy and catching up now with the last two days’ posts.

Raul’s “wanker and rodent” has the same minting material quality as Matt Taibbi’s famous ” G.S. …vampire squid blood funnel wrapped around humanity’s face…etc”.

I think it fits his punchable face like a glove.

I read D. Robinson’s posting and the citations do throw a shade of suspicion on her work. Not that I would ever doubt the integrity of the FBI… but Dr. Mikovits claims those items were planted by the gum shoes. The lack of results in replicating tests by fellow scientists is more damning though.

Ditto the point brought by Raul. Fair enough. I didn’t stop to think about that. I’m all in for verifiable facts.

The accusation against Dr. Fauci and Dr. Gallo of having stolen Dr. Garcetti’s work in replicating the isolation of the HIV virus of the French Dr. Montaigneur I think his name was, to personally profit for dirty rupees and personal prestige on the way up the food pyramid, still stands.

That makes Dr. Fauci not just a wanker rodent, it makes him the biggest rodent on earth, the Capybara of the South American swamps.
    And how about Dr. Fauci’s holding patents to his name? Or his involvement with the funding of the Wuhan lab for ‘gain of function’ of the Corona virus? I’m not gonna throw the baby with the bath water. Not at all. Not yet anyway.

BTW, the Capybara is becoming an invasive species here in Floriduh.https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/11/12880474/capybara-florida-invasive-animals-science

Carlos Jimenez
    Participant

Yes, Capybaras eat their own poop, but their meat is a delicacy.

Carlos Jimenez
    Participant

Dr. D. Thank you for the tip on the “Down Shifter’s Guide to the Future” Gotta have that.

The time to read it, am not so sure, my list of half read books keeps growing but gotta try.

What a good title, it synthesizes our only predicament’s option.

zerosum
    Participant

Anthony Stephen Fauci is an American physician and immunologist who has served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984.

There ….. Wake up
    Why do you expect more from him than anybody else?

John Day
    Participant

Thanks WES, Kimyo99 and Carlos Jimenez. I spent a long day gardening, mowing and getting the form ready for the concrete pour Monday, for the work slab for my workshop here in relatively-rural Yoakum, Texas.
    I catch-up, too. I read fast, but it still takes me hours after a day or two away.
    “Dr.D”, too…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.