Debt Rattle November 21 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 21 2017

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Notting Hill Gate Station, London 1860s   • China’s $15 Trillion Problem: Investors Don’t Believe in Losses (BBG) • Household Debt, Size Of Home
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle November 21 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

“Does holding hands with Saudi Arabia as it slaughters Yemeni children really reflect American values?”

Catagorically, yes!
    That’s how far the US has fallen. And it doesn’t treat its own citizens much better; look at the homeless for just one (of many) example. And then there are the Blacks; shot at will by the police; often for no reason at all, other than being black.
    The Korean War was probably the first example, post WWII, of a US devoid of humanity.
    That was followed quickly by our barbarity of Vietnam. I’m probably forgetting something in between, but I’m sure somebody will point out my forgetfulness…
    History will hopefully illustrate the US for the despotic state it is…

V. Arnold
    Participant

The edits that failed:
    “Does holding hands with Saudi Arabia as it slaughters Yemeni children really reflect American values?”

Catagorically, yes!
    That’s how far the US has fallen. And it doesn’t treat its own citizens much better; look at the homeless for just one (of many) example. And then there are the Blacks; shot at will by the police; often for no reason at all, other than being black.
    The Korean War was probably the first example, post WWII, of a US devoid of humanity.
    That was followed quickly by our barbarity of Vietnam. I’m probably forgetting something in between (Central and South America?), but I’m sure somebody will point out my forgetfulness…
    History (Historians) will hopefully document the US for the despotic state it is…
    And has always been; Native peoples?
    True history of the US is ugly, unrelenting cruelty, and hubris…
    Remind me: Just how did we become the shining city on the hill?

Nassim
    Participant

“Notting Hill Gate Station, London 1860s”

It looked just the same 100 years later. I suspect it might look like that today. Much of London’s infrastructure has been around for over 120 years. The Victorians were incredible people IMHO.

Here is a more recent picture:

Nassim
    Participant

“As Oceans Warm, the World’s Kelp Forests Begin to Disappear (Yale) ”

I fail to see much warming around Western Australia

Kelp, like coral, is organic. It comes and it goes. Nothing startling there. Obviously, Kelp grows much faster.

“They are known for their high growth rate—the genera Macrocystis and Nereocystis can grow as fast as half a metre a day, ultimately reaching 30 to 80 metres”

Kelp (Wikipedia)

Nassim
    Participant

Macron gets Hariri to come to Paris on a short visit – while Hariri’s kids are kept hostage by Saudi Arabia. Even if he were to abandon his kids, the French would drug him and put him on a plane for Riyadh and say that all went well.

The reality is that the Israeli secret service, Mossad, kidnapped a number of Saudi princes and sent them to Saudi Arabia to be tortured. This was done with the cooperation of the intelligence services of the West. Media blackout – just like about the kids of Hariri

Let’s not forget about how Hezbollah was falsely blamed for the assassination of the foster-father of this Hariri (his biological dad was King Abdallah and all his half-brothers are incarcerated). It seems to have fallen out of the media and the public in the West has no memory or ability to connect the dots.

France’s Macron Covers for Saudi Aggression

There is nothing new about abducting Saudi princes and sending them back to Riyadh. The same would have been done to Hariri had he not done as he was told.

Saudi prince Turki al-Faisal confirms abduction of Saudi princes

Nassim
    Participant

On reading the kelp article, it is obvious that the headline is misleading. The direct culprit is actually urchins not “warming”.

There seems to be some logical contradictions in the article:

1- “Today, more than 95 percent of eastern Tasmania’s kelp forests — luxuriant marine environments that provide food and shelter for species at all levels of the food web — are gone. With the water still warming rapidly and the long-spine urchin spreading southward in the favourable conditions, researchers see little hope of saving the vanishing ecosystem.”

2- “In some places, like the southwestern coast of Hokkaido, in Japan, and the Aleutian Islands, urchin barrens have replaced kelp forests and have remained for decades.”

The first quote suggests that the long-spine urchin is moving south in Tasmania to cooler water because the water up north is no longer cool enough. The second quote makes it clear that this urchin survives and thrives in much colder water than that of Australia so it could have moved south long ago. This obliged me to do some research since I know nothing about either urchins or kelp.

The Wikipedia states: “It is found in the tropical Western Atlantic Ocean, including the Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico and the northern and eastern coasts of South America (as far south as Brazil)”

Diadema antillarum, also known as the lime urchin, black sea urchin, Grabaskey’s bane or the long-spined sea urchin

Clearly, if it is moving south that has nothing to do with it seeking cooler waters.

Interestingly, the Wikipedia mentions that these urchins protect coral from invasion by algae:

“In 1983, throughout the Caribbean faunal zone as far south as South America and north to the Bahamas, Diadema antillarum underwent mass mortality, with more than 97% of the urchins dying. Since this time some Caribbean reefs have been overgrown by foliose macroalgae. This inhibits coral growth and has further compounded the ongoing decline of scleractinian corals. It also has an overall negative effect on coral reef resilience, which encompasses the ability of a system to resist and recover from changes stemming from perturbation events. Recent studies done in Discovery Bay, Jamaica, and other locations appear to show a massive comeback of Diadema, and great regeneration of the reefs.”

and

“When the sea urchins died due to an unknown disease, the biodiversity of the marine life of the coral reefs suffered a great deal. The resulting lush algae growth stunted and even reversed the development of coral, and the fish and other animals living on the reefs declined in numbers due to less food and shelter.”

I think it should be pretty clear by now that when some species overshoots, its predator flourishes – for a while – until something restores the balance. However, by neglecting that reality and warning us about our alleged misdeeds, the funds start flowing. Bravo Yale.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.