Debt Rattle Sep 3 2014: Time To Take Our Hands Off These Lying Basterds

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Sep 3 2014: Time To Take Our Hands Off These Lying Basterds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ben Shahn Refreshment stand at county fair, central Ohio Aug 1938 After yesterday’s claim from Kiev that Russia had threatened multiple times to drop
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Sep 3 2014: Time To Take Our Hands Off These Lying Basterds]

Professorlocknload
    Participant

A wall? What politically connected US Corporate entity will get the contract on that?

Will it be high enough to prevent aircraft passing over it? Or deep enough to stop gophers digging under it? Or thick enough to resist being breached by a 500 lb bomb, in a split second?

And will anyone who wants to defect in either direction be able to simply buy a day visa at the gate, like on our southern border?

Ha! I can hear Vlad now, “Mr. Obomber,,,tear down that wall.”

Ken G
    Participant

The real problem with the economy

https://www.againstcronycapitalism.org

desertrat
    Participant

Shale drilling…helped the U.S. supply 84% of its energy demand last year.

Ok, can we vote on worst howler in an energy piece **ever** now? Why not double down – it “helped” with 100%, duh! Wait, even economists might raise an eyebrow at that…

Desert

V. Arnold
    Participant

The genuine news sources are being eliminated at an alarming rate. Minus the obvious pro-Russian bits (even they are interesting) RT is a pretty decent source overall.
    Especially when it comes to western media bullshit.
    These are very scary times as America drives hard against Putin’s Russia.
    It’s like an inverted reality, as propagandized by America and the west in general that the artificially generated clusterfuck in Ukraine is a Russian driven crisis; when in fact it is the creation of American policy.
    I think we have taken a step too far and thereby jeopardized the world at large.
    May cooler heads prevail…

From a legal perspective, this evolves around the NATO-Russia Founding Act of 1997. NATO accuses Russia of violating this act, while ignoring the fact that things like having CIA ‘advisors’ and other personnel inside Ukraine, let alone conspiring to topple a government, is also a violation.

BTW, Anders War Party Rasmussen will leave as NATO head September 30, his term was extended only to organize the present conference. He will be succeeded by Norway’s Jens Stoltenberg, not a Russia fan either (or he wouldn’t have been picked, NATO’s a hammer looking for a nail).

Mind you, according to John C. Kornblum, former U.S. undersecretary of state for European affairs, who helped draft the act, it’s pretty much meaningless:

Pact With Russia Keeps NATO Bases at a Distance, But Should It?

Q: Some NATO members are against the permanent stationing of troops in Eastern Europe, arguing that it would violate the 1997 NATO-Russia Founding Act. Are they right?

Mr. Kornblum: The first important thing is that this is not a treaty. It’s not something legal. An act is an agreement of political commitments people make. It’s not legally binding. The Germans are twisting that around by saying ‘We can’t violate the act.’ But there’s nothing to violate.

Q: If it’s not binding, what was the purpose of the act?

Mr. Kornblum: The NATO Russia Founding Act was a statement by NATO and Russia as to how they were going to regulate relations. It was all done in terms of political commitments. It isn’t written in the terms of a legal commitment. It’s written as a political intention.

Q: In that case, it should be easy to cancel the agreement, correct?

Mr. Kornblum: It says if conditions change, all bets are off. There are all kinds of escape clauses if the other side isn’t sticking to its commitment. Clearly, the Russians have broken virtually all of theirs. There’s no way you can say the conditions are as harmonious as when it was signed.

Q: If it’s so clear, why do Germany and other NATO members read it differently?

Mr. Kornblum: The Germans are determined to continue following a political track. They don’t want relations with Russia to become warlike and they don’t want it to devolve into something resembling a cold war. Their view is that if you can hold onto the commitment you can still have a dialogue. So they want to avoid being seen as having violated the founding act.

Still, if that’s all it is, why should Russia stick to it? Looking only through western eyes, and on top of that only seeing what you like, seems a flimsy way of doing politics.

V. Arnold
    Participant

For my own POV, the aggressive push by Obama is reckless. It tells me he doesn’t understand Putin. That alone could set the course for conflict/war.
    If Obama thinks he can corner Putin/Russia, in their own sphere of influence without consequences; then Obama and his advisers are fools (but then, we already know this).
    And doG help the world; we’re headed for Armageddon.

And I just saw you’re post above after hitting post.
    God’s be good, we’re royally screwed…

I honestly think Putin/Russia doesn’t want war. But he will not, absolutely not, back down to America’s aggressive politic in his sphere of influence.
    I’m still trying to wrap my mind around America’s stance. It’s illogical, inane, wrong, counter intuitive, and only makes sense if America truly thinks it rules the world.
    It doesn’t and that may kill us all…

I think the US does a lot of war modelling and has a good idea how the Ukraine meddling was going to go. I think they wanted to surround Russia and control the pipelines and privatise Ukraine’s industry and natural resources and were giong to do this with a soft coup and plausible deniability
    Unfortunately (for them and the Ukrainians in general) They underestimated the craziness of the politicians they had funded as well and were not prepared for a civil war, esp one which made them look stupid so far. MH17 has not reflected well on them either.

The sanctions and the talk coming out of the US (and maybe what will come out of NATO) will be bluster and innuendo to confuse the populus and prevent the leaders in the West being removed and prosecuted.

I hope! That’s the least bad thing.

What would be worse would be the US and NATO not cutting their losses in Ukraine and trying something silly(er)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.