Small Business Firings to Start

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Small Business Firings to Start

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Saul Leiter Man in straw hat 1955       The following was written by Bruce Wilds, who runs the Advancing Time blog. Bruce is a small bu
    [See the full post at: Small Business Firings to Start]

D Benton Smith
    Participant

The World Health Organization wants to help fight the pandemic, Fine and good. All real help is appreciated. However, they are asking for funds in order to provide this twice-promised twice-betrayed help from their previous position of Authoritative Responsibility. This shall not be. They have betrayed trust and performed badly at a time when implicit trust and selfless performance were vitally necessary.

Yes their help is acceptable, but NO; it shall not be from a position of leadership of any kind.
    It will only be accepted in the form of good results produced as tangible contributions by individuals at personal risk and no thought for personal gain.

I understand that Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (Director General of the World Health Organization) wants a job . Good. He can scrounge up PPE from where ever he can find it and serve in the Intensive Care unit of a hospital in a hot spot. Somewhere in Ethiopia would be a good choice. I am not joking in the least. If he will serve with his life on the line then I will consider trusting him. Otherwise, no, never.

If the WHO wants to regain the world’s trust trust then it’s individual employees will have to earn it with good works and good faith. No more cash in advance.

zerosum
    Participant

If you are not scare enough then read the following, WHO experts are telling us.

Second wave example – Spanish flu January 1918 to December 1920

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

zerosum
    Participant

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020/04/citing-coronavirus-costs-university-hospital-cuts-pay-hours-of-employees-uninvolved-with-patient-care.html

Citing coronavirus costs, University Hospital cuts pay, hours of employees uninvolved with patient care
    Updated 12:25 PM; Today 11:21 AM

The decision for the cuts was made after the hospital reviewed its expenses and realized that any additional relief money it received from the federal government would not cover its financial losses.

UH estimates that Ohio hospitals are losing $42 million day during the coronavirus crisis. They’re also spending $5 million more a day for additional supplies.

( read the article to find out how the will save money)

WES
    Participant

The so called small business rescue plan was specifically used by big business as an opportunity to put many small businesses permamently out of business!

Afterall less competition is good for big business!

The initial political intentions may have been good, but one needs to understand how the sausage (nod to Bismarck) is actually made!

The actual legislation is not written by the politicians but delegated to the lobbyists via the Chamber of Commerce. So who might these lobbyists be? Small businesses can’t afford lobbyist. So that leaves the only lobbyists in town, big business, to write the legislation!

And well connected big businesses like Shake Shack, Harvard University, got most of the small business’s money!

This reminds me of what Germany did to France’s businesses after conquering France in 1940. The Germans decreed that no business could layoff any staff and had to continue to pay them despite having no business! Most quickly went bankrupt and then the German bankers swooped in and legally bought those businesses they wanted for pennies on the dollar!

Economic warfare by any other name!

1940/2020. Sound familiar?

Huskynut
    Participant

One of the largest problems facing small companies is they are often underfunded and have difficulty getting financing at reasonable rates. Banks find larger companies much more profitable.

Having owned and worked in several small businesses, that’s been exactly my experience. Around 2010 during the GFC I went to bank to borrow a modest sum to invest in some promising R & D for which I’d secured 50/50 matched funding from a government agency. The bank turned me down flat.

So I went back to them with my partner, and we spun a story that we were going to get married and wanted to borrow the same sum for our wedding. Since her family was all based in Europe and we wanted to do it right, the wedding was going to be really expensive, yada yada yada. Personal loan approved on the spot (we never did get married..).

I’ve been working corporate rather than small business for quite a while now, but from that kind of experience, I’m still hyper-sympathetic to the needs and impacts of small businesses. And unfortunately, the careers of most government decision makers have never included a stint in small business. If you’ve never lived it, it’s possible to sympathise, but almost impossible to grasp the realities of trying to hold everything together whilst at the bottom of the economic foodchain.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Yesterday I went out for the first time in more than a month; I had to go to immigration for my 90 day report.
    First we went to Tesco, to go to our bank; it (our bank) was closed until the 30th. But then, so were all the island stands (selling gold, watches, jewelry, clothing, etc.) every one of them numbering roughly 50-60 stands.
    Also closed were most of the actual stores, common to malls like this. The bank branch being closed, we had to go to a main branch, which we did.
    On the way we drove through the city, and shop, after shop, after shop, was closed.
    It really brought home the impact of the virus on so many businesses; many times many people and families out of work/no income.
    Damn!
    I had to wear a mask for the first time; suffocating best describes that; especially in tropical heat (37°c).
    Small problem when compared to the financial toll this is taking on the average person…
    I cannot believe this will not have a profound effect on society everywhere…
    We’ll see…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Addendum:
    There is an upside to this; Thailand’s numbers are quite low, especially for a country of 63 million people.
    New cases yesterday 15, no deaths (49 total), total cases, 2,826, recovered 2,352.
    The daily count has been going down for over a week.
    It would seem the government has done quite a good job so far…
    We’ll see what the coming days and weeks look like…

ShariTaho
    Participant

In my opinion, the problem of small businesses has remained the same in the past, and until now, large companies swallow the small ones. Here I can’t even talk about competition because the power ratio is not equal. Take Singapore, for example; yes, I admit in the last 30 years we have reached a different level than other Asian countries, but here too is small businesses’ problem because almost 90% of Singapore’s serviced offices belong to large companies. But no one realizes that small businesses are the stable basis of the state. Big businesses, if they collapse, can destroy the whole economy with them.

ASVPRock
    Participant

As for the problem of unemployment, Bruce made a very correct remark. Even I have to think about it. There will be not only a mass panic but also a mass sale of businesses. That is, small companies, but small businesses, such as a local transport company, which may cease to exist due to an increase in taxes, an increase in the cost of rent, and so on. I want to sell my travel agency with the help of administrative pre-pack service. I can’t just deprive all the people who have been working for me for more than 10 years of their jobs, right? I want to turn to Antony Batty. Maybe they will help me minimize costs and save the salary of my employees for the future for 3-4 months, while the process of selling the company will take place in parallel with their work.

Corvian
    Participant

I think the biggest problem of small businesses always was the lack of proper marketing. When you establish your business, you are not provided with a notebook explaining all the A-Zs of marketing and marketing strategy for your business. It’s essential to consider the amount of competition you have out there, as they outnumber your expectations every day, and it will!

Nsleveror
    Participant

I totally agree with Bruce. Small businesses are essential in the American economy since they create two-thirds of net new jobs and drive U.S. competitiveness and innovation. In my opinion, the foundation of the economy worldwide is the totality of small businesses. But as you’re saying, even though they contribute so much, the government doesn’t provide the necessary support for them to grow. That way, businesses risk director disqualification if they can’t meet the legal needs. I’ve had o deal with that in the past, but I was lucky enough for https://ndandp.co.uk/director-disqualification/ to help me out.

Gwynevere
    Participant

Honestly, people tend to underestimate the importance of small and middle businesses. I mean, more than 40% of total sales in the country is kind of insane for “small business,” ain’t it? Sure thing, the percentage is so high due to the number of small companies that contribute to those sales. That is precisely why I consider that the government should help the small businesses and the new businesses. For a new business, a startup, I would recommend the services of https://sturppy.com/. They offer the best financial models for startups, which helps you start your business as soon as possible and find investors.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.