Cloudflare.com might speed site up

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Help/FAQ Cloudflare.com might speed site up

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nassim
    Participant

Hi,

I just checked out your DNS and they seem to be:

NS1.THEAUTOMATICEARTH.COM
    NS2.THEAUTOMATICEARTH.COM

https://www.cloudflare.com/plans has a free plan that seems to greatly speed up access to websites like theAutomaticEarth.com – by keeping static stuff at local servers around the globe. I suspect much of the content here is static – especially the downloads. This would also take some load off your server.

Please check it out. If you have and there is something wrong with my analysis, please let me know as I am also trying out this service for my own websites – my server is in the UK, but many users are in Australia.

FrankRichards
    Participant

Nassim, all the *.theautomaticearth.* “hosts” are cnames of various boring.ip.number.directrouter.co.uk. hosts.

I doubt if I&S control their own DNS records. They’d be loony to actually be running named themselves.

FrankRichards
    Participant

That’s not to claim that they aren’t loony of course, just not loony that way.

Nassim
    Participant

Thanks FrankRichards for that piece of information. I was wondering how they did it since mine are things like NS63.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

However, I am still curious why no one seems ready to respond to my (helpful?) suggestion.

ashvin
    Participant

This is what programmer Dan had to say about cloudflare:

“I took a look at it but I’m not sure what it buys us. We pay $x/month for Rochen and to get comparable service, we’d have to pay $2x/month here. We’re on a pretty much unlimited bandwidth now as well, but I do like that feature.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.