Debt Rattle August 27 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 27 2017

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Elliott Erwitt Downtown Hat Shop Window, Pittsburgh 1950   • Phillips Curve Doesn’t Help Forecast Inflation, Fed Study Finds (BBG) • Where Do Con
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle August 27 2017]

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

“The link between unemployment and inflation has disappeared”

What a shock! And Lo! It started happening in 1979, just when they started rigging the unemployment numbers, then progressively got more disconnected as the statistics were increasingly fabricated. Who knew? Then today, with 4% official unemployment – effectively 0% — and 100M out of the workforce we’ve reached the event horizon of mendacity and fabrication. And for some reason, the Phillips Curve no longer works! I’ve got an idea: why don’t you this thing we call science and run the numbers again with similar statistical methodology giving a 22% real unemployment rate and tell me if it seems to work any better for you. K? #stoplying

Should be called the “misanthropocene”.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Zero emissions? Is there such a thing?
    No, there is no such thing for living entities; the problem occurs when life exceeds the planet’s ability to support such.
    It’s so simple, really…

SteveB
    Participant

Sales at “Gasoline stations”=gas+junk food+coffee+lottery tickets. I’ll let you be the judge of whether that makes a difference.

Short Tesla? If I could.

anticlimactic
    Participant

TESLA
    Some time ago I read on ZeroHedge that “Tesla had total sales of $3 billion, and subsidies of $1.5 billion. Tesla struggles to make 50,000 cars per year and they are so expensive only the very rich can afford them. Tesla makes a loss on every car.” [condensed]

In what universe is this a viable business?! Musk seems to me to be the modern DeLorean, a guy who made cars for as long as the subsidies kept coming. At least Musk had the foresight to acquire huge persomal wealth so will not have the financial problems DeLorean had!

The idea seems to be that although Tesla makes losses on very expensive cars they will make a profit on much cheaper cars! Tesla are not protected by patents so if sales take off the large manufacturers are ready with their electric cars.

Electric cards are often falsely described as ‘zero emmissions’ when in reality it is simply that the emmissions are produced elsewhere. Also electric card use more energy than conventional cars.[www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-30/inconvenient-truth-about-electric-vehicles]

Beyond that : if electric cars really take off and become 10%-20% of vehicles on the road then the power grid will not be able to cope, requiring an investment of tens or hundreds of billions to upgrade it.

There is a lot of wishful thinking with regards to electric cars but at some point reality has to be taken into account, although not before huge amounts of taxpayers money has been given as subsidies.

anticlimactic
    Participant

CARBON CAPTURE

Carbon capture is simple – it is called ‘charcoal’! South America has the most fertile soil on the planet, ‘black earth’. Investigation shows that this earth can be up to 90% charcoal. The natives must have been adding charcoal for hundreds of years. A close approximation to this earth can be made by combining straw, animal manure and charcoal.

Charcoal in soil has the advantage of storing moisture and nutrients. It should need less fertiliser and could prevent runoff of any fertiliser there. Because it is very fertile you can get a virtuous circle where it absorbs more CO2 as it grows more plants. The charcoal will stay in the ground for thousands of years.

Another possibility is those huge Dutch greenhouse which are measured in kilometers! They can be used on scrubby soils in hot climates which would not normally support crops. Hydroponics means the amount of water used is kept to a minimum. Also because plants thrive on higher levels of CO2 they pump additional CO2 in. In addition there is no fertiliser runoff as it is used on an ‘as needed’ basis.

I would love to see some of the billions wasted on CCS and ‘renewables’ being spent on projects like those above. I think both are sustainable and good for the planet. Perhaps it is not viable because any subsidies would go to the ‘wrong’ people – small enterprises rather than large companies!

[I certainly wouldn’t want to be anywhere near a cavern filled with CO2 under pressure! If it breaches the surface then CO2 is a heavy gas which hugs the ground killing any animal or human in its path!]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.