Debt Rattle December 4 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle December 4 2018

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen Kendal Street, Byker, Newcastle 1969   • Yield Curve: What Bond Market Most Feared Is Starting To Happen (CNBC) • UK Gover
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle December 4 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen Kendal Street, Byker, Newcastle 1969

Wow, that’s quite a shot.
    But it does bring to mind Malvina Reynolds song “Little Boxes”; The song is a political satire about the development of suburbia, and associated conformist middle-class attitudes. It mocks suburban tract housing as “little boxes” of different colors “all made out of ticky-tacky”, and which “all look just the same.” “Ticky-tacky” is a reference to the shoddy material supposedly used in the construction of the houses.[1] wiki
    You have to be an old fart like me, to remember that song.It made an indelible impression upon me…
    Cheers

kultsommer
    Participant

Arnold, since you mentioned suburbia development I always remember a quote from the first developer:
    “No one who owns his own house and lot can be a Communist. He has too much to do.”
    William Levitt
    Not that US should be overrun by mentioned group, but does explain of population being rather docile contrary to generally accepted myth of bravado.
    There is a Guardian as in today’s batch and “Russia collusion / Assange” Guardian from another planet.
    I wonder how two teams behave when they meet at the hallway.

zerosum
    Participant

has been demolished.

Do a search, (google earth, images) to see what is there now.

In the mid-sixties Newcastle City Corporation took the decision to redevelop the Byker area of Newcastle upon Tyne. Originally Byker was a Victorian working-class area of typical densely-built terraces. By the 1960s much of the housing needed major repair and upgrading.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4226476/The-gritty-reality-life-Newcastle-s-famous-Byker.html

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/flats/newcastle-upon-tyne/kendal-street/

Compare what you see, from your search, with what you have and stop your whinnying.

Dr. D
    Participant

There’s a zillion of these, but with Assange being secretly indicted: since Julian is an Australian citizen, who has functioned outside U.S. soil, with activities that are protected even FOR citizens, to say nothing of random foreigners, what possible jurisdiction for extradition is claimed here? That the U.S. is an empire that controls a planet called “earth”? Any person who ever comes to the attention of the U.S., or uses a U.S. dollar, ever, for any function, such as Swiss banks or Iranian importers, any human such as Kim.com, who is German and lives in New Zealand, is as a matter of course, completely subject to U.S. law?

Can somebody fill me in here? If a Lithuanian were to sell cigarettes without a U.S. tax stamp, to a customer who is underage for the laws of New Jersey, is the U.S. going to indict and extradite him? What if the FSU has a cover-operation in Armenia? Since that is illegal under U.S. law, should we indict and extradite them? According to Robert Mueller, yes, as he has done exactly this.

Meanwhile multi-billion dollar thefts are proven and pled, yet are never indicted and police shoot citizens daily, on camera, and are not even prosecuted, much less imprisoned.

It’s pretty hard to take, especially on a day, after years of the expose’s and fullness of consequences raining down on us, they are lionizing our war criminals, with enthusiasm and full endorsement of both sides.

scraplet
    Participant

has been demolished.

I remember the same process being finalized in my home-city of Hull in the late 1970s and early 1980s, (to equal parts of approval and condemnation) culminating with the protest and occupation of one neighbourhood by self-styled Major General Barry Nuttall and his army.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/sep/01/hull-major-general-barry-nuttall-army-war-council-housing-demolition
    http://www.weirdretro.org.uk/one-hull-of-a-story-the-made-up-major-general.html

We need more mavericks like Nuttall right now!

Dr. D
    Participant

On that happy subject, how many journalists have the U.S., Turkey, and Britain (and Israel) imprisoned or killed since they suddenly started caring about Kashoggi?

Anyone? Beuller?

ezlxa1949
    Participant

Washington seems to think that the US Empire is the key actor in bringing worldwide order out of disorder, prosperoty out of poverty, in setting up some kind of Utopia. One could possibly give them credit for tackling so audacious and commendable a goal. Too bad that it has all turned sour and nasty. Then again, The British Empire, the French, the German had similar aims. Splendid successes, all!

An acquaintance here has been closely watching and advising politicians at various levels for 40 years. He told me recently that he reckons all politicians are at the peak of their capabilities and capacities, and have been for years. They are overwhelmed and overworked and can do no more. They pick and choose two or three issues to attend to, and leave the myriads of other issues untouched. We are at peak complexity. And no, it would NOT help to create more sub-national units of government or more electorates: that would only multiply and compound the confusion.

The pictures of Byker remind me of my first visit to the UK in 1971. I went from sunny, colourful, optimistic Australia to the grime and murk, grey drabness and sheer extent of the likes of Byker, replicated even in London. Horrors; THIS was the centre of the Empire? I endured it for 6 months and scurried home where I could breathe free.

zerosum
    Participant

I read the “Nuttall story” and recommend it.

VietnamVet
    Participant

I remember being shocked seeing Baltimore’s row housing from the Metroliner. They are now being torn down for their old growth lumber. The houses were built this way so the workers could walk to the factories. Electric trams started suburbanization. The Yellow Vest provincials in Paris are protesting the loss of these factories and being forced to pay the costs for peak oil and climate change. We are rapidity being forced backwards to the world like it was in 1914. Except, the belligerents now have over 4000 operational nuclear weapons. Also, the top 20% that still can afford suburbia will never give up their mammoth SUVs.

Government today is just as incompetent as then.

DrCiber
    Participant

Dr. D, to answer your question about the Lithuanian selling smokes: Yes, absolutely, just as soon as they can arrange a way to do it while running a profit. Something that isn’t that far-fetched once they have cowed your government and have a stranglehold on your banking system. “Turn that little Lithuanian bastard over, (or fine/imprision him & foward us the $$$) or we cut you off from SWIFT.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.