Debt Rattle January 4 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle January 4 2021

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Doc Robinson
    Participant

The U.S. Department of Justice “prevailed on every point of law raised” and will of course continue to seek extradition of Assange.

the United States prevailed on every point of law raised. In particular, the court rejected all of Mr. Assange’s arguments regarding political motivation, political offense, fair trial, and freedom of speech. We will continue to seek Mr. Assange’s extradition to the United States

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-wikileaks-assange-usa-idUSKBN2991KQ

Regardless of who is to blame for putting Assange in jail and keeping him there, DJT could single-handedly get him out of jail by issuing a pardon, but he hasn’t done so. However, DJT has recently pardoned four men who were convicted of killing 14 unarmed Iraqi civilians. I hope I’m wrong about this, but based on his record I don’t expect DJT to pardon the guy who exposed the shameful killing of unarmed civilians by US military.

Trump pardon of Blackwater Iraq contractors violates international law – UN (Reuters)

U.S. President Donald Trump’s pardon of four American men convicted of killing Iraqi civilians while working as contractors in 2007 violated U.S. obligations under international law, U.N. human rights experts said on Wednesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-blackwater-un-idUSKBN294108

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Doc Robinson

I wish to gently point out that you’re assuming moral reasons for Trump’s pardon of those soldiers. With Trump, we don’t know if he felt morally inclined when he did so. (He does have moral inclinations; they’re just inescapably bent around the black hole of his insatiable insecure ego.)

If His Holiness decides that pardoning Assange would make him look good in a way that fit his strategic urgencies without getting him into major trouble with too many big players, he probably would. His moral lens is turned in on itself. It is impossible to understand Donald through the moral lenses issued to most human beings. That includes the standard view most people have: if it’s bad or awful, Donald will do it. He is no more a demon than he is an angel. He is a very frightened insecure human being with a serious mental disorder in advanced stage probably colliding with early mental senescence.

Think of Trump as Gollum and ego-sustenance as The Ring.

zerosum
    Participant

From the horses mouth
    Why is nobody giving the link?

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-charged-18-count-superseding-indictment
    Thursday, May 23, 2019
    Press Release Number:
    19-575
    WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Charged in 18-Count Superseding Indictment
    Charges Related to Illegally Obtaining, Receiving and Disclosing Classified Information

First Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracy Doherty-McCormick, Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kellen S. Dwyer, Thomas W. Traxler and Gordon D. Kromberg, and Trial Attorneys Matthew R. Walczewski and Nicholas O. Hunter of the Justice Department’s National Security Division are prosecuting the case.

Attachment(s):
    Download Assange Superseding Indictment
    Download Remarks from the Briefing Announcing the Superseding Indictment of Julian Assange

https://www.justice.gov/agencies/chart
    ORGANIZATIONAL CHART
    https://www.justice.gov/component-contact-information
    https://search.justice.gov/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=justice&sort_by=&query=Matthew+R.+Walczewski+%2BAssange

(Everyone interested can do a search of the names, just like I did)

straightwalker
    Participant

@geppetto
    Thanks for the funny reminder. Quite right. I’ve fallen off one or two such beautiful peaks. Going up is more fun than going down, no? Life is good.

madamski cafone
    Participant

I believe zerosum is reminding us that Trump is a member of the executive not the judicial branch?

Huskynut
    Participant

@ Polder Dweller et al – re Assanga
    I had the same thoughts on reading of the verdict – that Trump must have in some manner green lighted it, most probably because pardoning carried too much likelihood of blowback (but also possibly he doesn;t really want to pardon Assange).

The subsequent discussion is useful – yes Trump was reflexively against anything Obama had done, which may well explain his switch in position on Assange.

But given Trump’s acknowledged vindictiveness toward those he perceives as enemies, his greatest bile is currently likely to be towards Pompeo, who has attacked him in public very recently. I could imagine trump enjoying immense Schadenfreude over the fury Pompeo will undoubtedly feel over the Assange decision.

zerosum
    Participant

@madamski
    “I believe zerosum is reminding us that Trump is a member of the executive not the judicial branch?”

50%
    Now,
    Who has more/enough pull to make the judicial jump.
    Keeping Assange in fear of his life for 10 year.
    An indictment contains allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed to be innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

@ madamski,

I am assuming there are some (unknown to me) ulterior motives, not moral motives, behind DJT’s pardoning of the four contractors (not soldiers) who killed 14 unarmed civilians. Perhaps to increase his standing with the more militant segment of his base? Pardoning Assange might not go down well with this segment of his base? Again, I don’t know.

WES
    Participant

Regarding Pres Trump pardoning Julian. It would be nice.

However I doubt he will. For one very simple reason.

The deep state has probably threatened him and his family, after he leaves office, should he do so.

Again it is the deep state that has the motive for wanting Julian to die in prison.

The other practical reason President Trump might not be able to pardon Julian, is that he hasn’t yet been convicted of a crime in the US? Can you pardon someone (non-US citizen) who is innocent? Maybe the deep state doesn’t want Julian to be in the US until after Biden arrives?

I think the recent judgement is a legal trick (to buy time?) that will be later crushed in a higher court.

This British judge is a 100% swamp creature. Sorry, I just don’t trust this judge.

VietnamVet
    Participant

The USA has been an Empire since the Mexican War. All those forts in the South to be renamed since the veto override of the defense bill veto, were built, and named after backwater Confederates to keep the Empire together. This, the pandemic, and Ted Cruz’s secession movement signify that the globalist run hegemon that uses identity politics to separate and spread ethnic conflict across the globe is no more. It is a multi-polar world once again.

The incompetent Pandemic response and Vaccine distribution show that USA is a failed state. If Americans want to remain a North American Empire, like before, they must keep Southerners, Heartlanders, Latinos, and Bi-Coastals together. The only way to do this is restore the Constitution and the rule of law. All the election shenanigans would end with paper ballots if counted in public combined with prohibiting corporate money being spent on elections. Government by and for the people would be restored once more.

If not and the states secede and a big if, war is avoided, most likely, North American will splinter into around twelve ethnic regional states centered on military bases armed with nuclear weapons and corporate headquarter cities with lots of no man’s land in between.

“Mad Max” is 2021!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.