Debt Rattle June 29 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle June 29 2018

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Paris 1878   • Everyone’s Got A Plan (Roberts) • How Much Have Global Equities Tumbled Since 2018 Peak? (HE) • Debt For US Corporations Tops $6.3
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle June 29 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

We’ve replaced all of our food storage containers with glass.
    Cloth bags taken into stores for the cashiers to use for our purchases.
    One of our favorite stores, Macro, doesn’t even offer any bags; we have a box in the back of our SUV for what we buy. Wheel the cart over and offload into the box.
    But, all in all, rather meaningless; governments must be the leader of this parade.
    Outlawing plastic bags will force inovation; otherwise forget it!
    We’re basically doomed anyway…

V. Arnold
    Participant

It’s ironic that the road away from plastics may be the road to paper, once again.
    It is renewable, bio-degradable, and recyclable.
    But, cloth is still the best…

But, the better angels of my soul, tell me we’ll never achieve the Eden we could have had; did have; but lost for ether…

V. Arnold
    Participant

But, the better angels of my soul, tell me we’ll never achieve the Eden we could have had; did have; but lost for ether…

Think about that. And the price we payed for our corrupted economic system.
    It has destroyed paradise and any hope of achieving it, no; it destroyed what we had!.
    Even that model is corrupt; paradise is not to be attained; but rather a state of existance to be lived.
    Not a philosophical ideal; but simply a reality lived; day by day, year by year, aware…
    Sorry, a poor attempt at a history not understood…

Dr. D
    Participant

…But the road to paper is just a way to kill more trees, even if we move to hemp or something. The solution is to use less, which will hammer GDP, and cannot (voluntarily) be done: governments will never give up taxes.

If global equities are going down, doesn’t that mean cash and commodities are rising relative to them? (Deflation) This may nor may not be happening right now, but it MUST happen, as stocks, houses, paper is at a 1,000 year high while food is at a low % of income, at least for places like the U.S.. Metals will follow as the easiest locations have been used and they are highly oil dependent, and that will pretty much cover all commodities vs. stocks and bonds; real things vs. imaginary.

So the U.S. is giving fair warning of pulling the pin on DeutscheBank, the long-established and protected explosive charge of the GFS. Well, it was going to happen. Once you have $30 Trillion in derivatives, how do you go on? Raise it to $60 Trillion? (I could say the same of the deficit, or even the Dow.)

The Globalization pops up in the cracks here. So how can all these companies leave Britain? Because you made sure they were all non-domestic international corporations so large they would never consider their home town or home nation when profit-seeking. Congratulations. As well-planned, the corporations were made larger than nations, even Britain and the U.S., and more powerful. Mussolini had a name for this. Same in Greece, and it’s part of how society at large did not make an overarching decision to limit consumption when it became bad for both the people and the national interest — Britain’s last oaks being a good example. The Free Market may exist, but it’s not supposed to be the only existing structure. Justice, religion, charity, family, community, are all supposed to exist too, but they can’t if WalMart and Amazon merge with government and using tax incentives and regulations, de facto make those other considerations illegal.

I don’t think people really like plastics. I don’t think they like WalMart. It doesn’t make them feel good. So their existence depends on bribing politicians for unfair advantage that allows them the profits to bribe more politicians, and a larger government with more regulation only helps it along with more ways to regulate Joe’s bait shop out of business (lookin’ at you, Obamacare). The only opposite is to push the power back to the individual and away from centralized corporations and governments…but I repeat myself. ATM, doesn’t look like anyone has that solution in mind, so buckle up, pilgrims, it’s going to get bumpy. If they can’t fabricate a world war to hide their crimes, they’re going to fabricate a civil war, and that seems to be going pretty well.

As I’ve said, guys, our economies, our way of life, depend on producing as much waste as possible. Thermodynamics underlies it all. The only way out is a gigantic crash. But then people will be burning plastic just to keep warm.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Raúl Ilargi Meijer

…our way of life, depend on producing as much waste as possible.

Yes, of course; how could it be any different?

Burning paper would be better/safer…
    But we’ve crossed the Rubicon; nothing but ruin bodes for our future…

olo530
    Participant

Come on, V. Arnold, it’s called Golden Age fallacy.
    I read about cooking in neolithic settlements. First it’s very simple – roasting of meat on open fire and eating raw fruits. Once the settlement grows beyond certain size and local mangoes are picked clean they have a choice to make – go farther to gather food that can be consumed without processing or eat something that requires cooking. At first you bake some roots in embers. Once roots are gone you go for greens that need to be boiled. Then tree bark that needs to be dried and powdered first. And so on, until you start eating poisonous crap with 20 operations that make it safe and digestible, like Australian aboriginals.
    They probably remember the days of tasty mangoes within a five minute walk like a paradise and one day the most adventurous of them go 20 km down the coast and establish another settlement. Just to discover that sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.
    Looking at the big picture – we’ve never lived so well. We’ve never been so well fed, protected, and cared for. The cost of this comfort will catch up with us, of course, but it’s good to remember that we got here willingly, to escape some worse fate.

Nassim
    Participant

From tomorrow, one-trip plastic bags will be banned in much of Australia. Personally, I think it is just more virtue-signalling. Believe it or not, plastic is made from things that we get out of the earth – just like paper and hemp. What happens to some turtles and so on is criminal – and the same would happen with a lot of other things – such as discarded fishing nets and tackle.

I note that our friend V. Arnold goes shopping in a SUV – and in Thailand at that. The land of the famous tuk-tuks. 🙂

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530
    Come on, V. Arnold, it’s called Golden Age fallacy.

You assume far too much; my thinking is far from “Golden Age” anthropological fantasy, projected on tribal cultures.
    But then, where a question should have occured, there was none.
    I’m addressing times past, when very little ecological damage had been done and bemoaning the criminal use of technology.
    We have indeed destroyed a pristine paradise to stupidity, ignorance, and avarice.

Nassim
    No Tuk-tuks out here. 🙂

olo530
    Participant

V. Arnold, that fallacy is not limited to prehistoric past. Every time we think that the past was so much better than the present we are probably ignoring some unsavoury aspects of life back then.
    There is an old Soviet joke about a grandfather telling his young communist grandson that life 70 years ago was better. The grandson objects that his grandfather was working 10 hours a day 6 days a week, had no vacation, no healthcare, couldn’t vote, and was otherwise oppressed and exploited. His grandfather answers – but girls put out.

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530

How’s your reading comprehension?
    Pointless to take this further…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.