Debt Rattle May 30 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle May 30 2022

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Veracious Poet
    Participant

What’s different?

Go ask the Jan. 6 protesters, or the Canuck truckers…

Kassandra
    Participant

@willem, we lived in the Bay Area for 25 years (my husband nearly 50 years, a native) and moved to North-Central Idaho a year and a half ago. It’s a 16 hour drive so just too much for one day, so we normally stop half way, around Bend, OR.

I am 4th gen Southern, California, born in OC but my father, grandfather and great grandfather were born in LA. Way back to the late 1800s. I never thought I’d leave. I miss friends, but they are all so strange to me now.

Veracious Poet
    Participant

willem
    Participant

@Kassandra: We have lived in San Luis Obispo County for over 20 years now. We make the trip up to Portland to see my daughter once a year, and can JUST manage it in one day–if it was even an hour farther, I couldn’t do it.

We lived in Portland for several years back in the 90s, and are still best friends with a couple up there. So we get to see them as well.

I love the climate here and the fact that this particular area is very quiet–no big city, and I can look out the window and see the ocean half a mile away. But there’s very little else to recommend California any more. I think it would be wise to move (and Idaho was one place I thought might be a possible choice), but my wife won’t leave. I’ve told her that maybe the question people should be asking in the US is “If each state was its own country, which one would you choose to live in?”

Oroboros
    Participant

Gonzalo has a windup on the Ukronazis Pep Club projection their our devastating lack of manpower for soldier on to Russia, which has way more than enough reserve manpower.

It’s quite funny. Gonzalo said Ukraine just had their 5th attempted ‘draft’ for soldiers in Ukraine and only less than 10% of those called up showed up. hahahahaha!

What a joke, the word is out, head for the hills!

So much for Ukrainian patriots. They’ve burned through all the 20, 30 and 40 year olds and Elensky still can’t field enough for the Russia meatgrinder!

Projection

chooch
    Participant

Archie
    Participant

Well, there you have it Chooch. Russia doesn’t censor minority opinions. But they use stupid former military “experts” to dissect events, just like we do here. There are 3300 tv channels in Russia! Stop trying to find the needle in the haystack of propaganda on both sides. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.

oxymoron
    Participant

I’m working on looking without grievances. I feel great lately. There’s plenty of love to go around. People are idiots because they are afraid. I feel for them even the knaves and CRT victim screamers. They just wanna cling to the small. It’s a bad play.
    Thanks for the deep digging.

Figmund Sreud
    Participant

Helmer’s latest on Russia’s proverbial “as the (economic) stomach turns”

The Russian regime-change theory motivating US sanctions against the Russian oligarchs is that they will trigger a palace coup in which the oligarchs will arrange a bullet for President Vladimir Putin’s head, and in return the US will give them back the keys to their yachts, mansions, and offshore bank accounts.

The terms of pain relief and life insurance which the oligarchs are discussing with Putin are different. The oligarchs want to be compensated for what they have lost offshore with an even larger stock of assets onshore, including takeover of exiting foreign companies and privatization of state assets; low-interest Central Bank finance; import substitution and labour subsidies; tax holidays; postponement of ecological compliance; deregulation; amnesty for past crimes, immunity from prosecution for future ones.

Secret though the details of their agreement are – must be in time of war – the new shape of the oligarchs’ wealth can begin to be gauged from an initial inventory. As for the new policy pact directing it, it is easier to say what it is not — it bears no resemblance to the recommendations for nationalization, state planning, ban on foreign investment in hostile states, a high ruble rate to protect against imports, and de-dollarization for exports, which have been proposed by the former Kremlin economic adviser, Sergei Glazyev. …

… continues at:

THE OLIGARCHS PLAY THEIR CARDS – THAT’S THE LOYALTY CARD, THE GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD, THE REWARDS REDEMPTION CARD

… fwiw,

F.S.

Oroboros
    Participant

What Happens AFTER the Loss of the Donbas

chooch
    Participant

Archie,

I’m not sure that would be the takeaway. (Just glad I don’t live on the east or west coast). Seriously though, here are the competing narratives if you will.

Either the Ukrainians are basically on the point of collapse in the Donbas and the Russians are about to storm ahead–or the Russians are running very short on resources and getting a little desperate.

It seems both sides are desperate.

But given the fact that the Russian army numbers about 900,000 men , and before the invasion, probably at least 20% of its personnel was concentrated near Ukraine’s borders.

The remaining combat-ready formations of ground forces are located near the western borders due to possible confrontation with the NATO.

The 15th Alexandria Motorized Rifle Brigade from the village of Roshchinskiy in the Samara Oblast has also been sent to invade Ukraine. This brigade is the only peacekeeping unit in the country that Russia can send to solve international conflicts under the aegis of the UN.

All the units of the Russian Armed Forces capable of attacking are taking part in the operation.

The motorized, artillery and anti-aircraft units of all 12 Russian land armies and a separate tank division ;all airborne offensive forces: five airborne assault divisions, two airborne divisions, and one special forces brigade; six reconnaissance brigades of the General Staff ;marines of all four fleets and surface ships of the Russian Black Sea Fleet; fighter, assault and bomber regiments of the Russian Air and Space Forces and fleet aviation; police and National Guard (Rosgvardiya) forces.

This seems a bit surprising and the messaging on state TV seems to support it.

I think I remember from previous posts that you severed. Not sure how Memorial Day sits with you, but we’ll wishes nonetheless.

Michael Reid
    Participant

Police State in Slo-Mo

Police State in Slo-Mo

Oroboros
    Participant

chooch
    Participant

Figmund,

Your post reminded me of this story.

Michael Reid
    Participant
    VietnamVet
    Participant

With the loss of the public health system in the West, everyone is on their own. “Trust but verify.” If meeting with relatives, vaccinated, boosted, or not, as long as coronavirus is surging, like now in the USA, wear a mask, meet outdoors, try to distance, and everyone must test negative prior to the gathering. Even with these measures, the risks may be too great for the elderly.

To work in public, today, to have an income, is a guarantee of cognitive dissonance. Every child who brings coronavirus home or is killed or wounded while the police stand-down in the hallway, assures the death of public education in the USA.

Russophobes and Russophiles believe their own side’s propaganda despite being the exact opposite of each other. Both sides, Russia and NATO are armed with nuclear weapons. They are fighting a proxy WWIII that will inevitably escalate to a nuclear exchange. Ukraine is in fantasy land if it thinks it can retake Crimea. Russia is similarly crazy if it thinks it can win a months’ long scorched earth – trench war with its downsized professional army and then make peace with Ukraine. This is an ethnic war. Either Russia conquers Odessa, Kiev, and then Western Ukraine or Russia partitions the west with Poland and lets them fight the Ukrainian resistance; like both have done before. If Poland occupies Western Ukraine, this is the end of NATO. If Poland doesn’t and NATO resupplies the Ukraine resistance, Russia invades them to destroy the guerrillas’ safe haven.

The only way to stop further invasions is with nuclear weapons. This is why Finland and Sweden have to join NATO to get under its nuclear umbrella. The only way to save the Europe that existed prior to February 24, 2022 is an armistice, right now, and a manned DMZ between the Ukrainians and the Russians.

Reality is so ugly that most are in denial. To be explicit, western democratic republics must be restored, corporations disenfranchised, and the oligarchy taxed at a flat 75% rate on all of their rents and income; or human civilization (cooperation) is finished.

Figmund Sreud
    Participant

Who knew?

G7 Climate, Energy and the Environment Ministers Meeting, Berlin, May 27th, 2022

Communiqué

https://www.g7germany.de/resource/blob/974430/2044350/84e380088170c69e6b6ad45dbd133ef8/2022-05-27-1-climate-ministers-communique-data.pdf?download=1?

F.S.

Veracious Poet
    Participant

‘Tis the imperial banner, How long will it wave?
    O’er the land of the sleaze and the home of the knave…

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.