Oil age fortold in the Bible??

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Open Comments Oil age fortold in the Bible??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    digging

Hello friends,

I can see we are an opened minded group here and I want to share something I’ve noticed in a few scriptures that really seem to fit the arrival of the oil age.

Rev 9:2 He opened the bottomless pit, and smoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke of a great furnace ; and the sun and the air were darkened by the smoke of the pit. 3Then out of the smoke came locusts upon the earth, and power was given them, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

Well, oil comes from deep in the earth and the #1 thing we do is burn it, all that burning equaling one great furnace. As well has not the human race exploded because of oil and seems like a locust on the earth consuming everything?

Here is one more very curious point.

Gen 11:3 They said to one another, “Come, let us make bricks and burn them thoroughly.” And they used brick for stone, and they used tar for mortar.

This is the account of the old city Babel, I looked up this word ‘tar’ and it is real fossil fuel tar! That first city was built using fossil fuel products and now this last great global ‘city’ has also used the same stuff to build itself?

Isn’t that interesting?? Surely there is some meaning in that.

I hope there might be a few here interested in looking at this topic there are a few more points I have noticed in the bible regarding this.

Digging

ashvin
    Participant

Hello digging,

The connection you make between the Revelation passage and oil is interesting, but I think that passage is clearly in the context of future events yet to take place. So we can’t really analogize it what has been happening with the extraction/consumption of oil in the past.

The Tower of Babel account is definitely relevant to what’s been happening, though. That was all about human beings building up large structures out of pride and greed, to create for themselves without God. The tower itself symbolizes the people trying to reach a Heavenly Utopia through their own works, abandoning any reliance on God’s faithfulness or grace. I think it’s safe to say that’s exactly what modern human societies have been trying to do, and many of them continue to have that mentality even after it has become painfully obvious that we are incapable of creating such a Utopia for ourselves.

The parallel you bring up between the pitch/tar in Babel and the use of fossil fuels today is very interesting. The latter has indeed been one of the primary mechanisms through which humanity has literally and metaphorically built up its “sky-scraping” structures throughout the world, reflecting a clear mentality of greed and hubris. I find there are many interesting “pictures” of future events found in the Old Testament, and this certainly seems to be one of them. You could call it God’s way of using history to be instructive and relevant to future generations about their own current situations.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.