Our Depraved Future of Debt Slavery (Part II)

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Our Depraved Future of Debt Slavery (Part II)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    ashvin
    Participant

John Vachon Duet September 1940 St. Mary’s County, Maryland. “John and Louise Dyson, aged Farm Security Administration borrowers. Mr. Dyson was born i
    [See the full post at: Our Depraved Future of Debt Slavery (Part II)]

So what happens when the prisons run out of room for the debt slaves? Either REVOLT or the Human Waste Reprocessing Facility in San Antonio. Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You.

RE

mrawlings

This was just one of the articles that I came across with a quick search of “debtors prisons”. I remembered reading something along the lines of the article linked below regarding people being arrested and put in jail for failure to pay debts or failure to appear in a court hearing regarding a debt or failure to fill out court ordered forms related to debt repayment. In any case, we should all know by now that when it comes to the exercise of power/authority by those with wealth and power, the legal test for justification is “close enough”.

“Are debtors prisons coming back?
    Not really, but reports indicate more Americans are being threatened with jail — or jailed — for failing to pay their bills.”

https://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post.aspx?post=bf5c3932-1d21-436f-b20f-093e0da61b6c

GREG L

This is just a test to see if I can post successfully. I like this new setup!

ben

from the “debt slavery part 2” thread:

“So what happens when the prisons run out of room for the debt slaves? Either REVOLT or the Human Waste Reprocessing Facility in San Antonio. Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You.

RE”

move em out into the yard. and then construct another, bigger yard. if it is done right the vast majority of debt slaves won’t need to be in maximum security or even mimimum security as it exists today.

why not make it a drive-thru roach motel?

https://www.pakalertpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/fema-camps.jpg

and provide transportation reminiscent of the Green Tortoise

https://2012patriot.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/camp-fema-roadkill.jpg

jal
    Participant

The “Debt Slavery” concept is a concept that need to be understood in its many possible forms.

1. Is working 40 hours a week, at two jobs, to be able to feed your kids “Debt Slavery” without being in debt, and having no savings?

2. Is working 12 hour days, 6 days a week, for 51 weeks and being housed 8 to a room and feed by “the company” with a small surplus income to put into your sock any better than #1?

3. Is it necessary to be in debt to be considered in “Debt Slavery”?

Punxsutawney

Jal,

#1 Not sure

#2 Personally, I would consider it imprisonment and slavery. But apparently if you are a shill for the elites, it’s just a great example of efficient enterprise.

#3 Hmmm, say a citizen of Greece has no personal debt, but the country does, and as such he loses his job, or has to take reduced wages through “Austerty”. Is not the effect then the same as if he was paying part or all of his income to pay off a personal debt? So yes, very much possible as the person had no choice.

ben

“So what happens when the prisons run out of room for the debt slaves? Either REVOLT or the Human Waste Reprocessing Facility in San Antonio. Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You.

RE”

move em out into the yard. and then construct another, bigger yard. if it is done right the vast majority of debt slaves won’t need to be in maximum security or even mimimum security as it exists today.

why not make it a drive-thru roach motel?

http://www.pakalertpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/fema-camps.jpg

and provide transportation reminiscent of the Green Tortoise bus

https://www.socresonline.org.uk/6/2/02BusInterior.jpg

but a bit more like this

https://api.ning.com/files/ceevlG*NAIXYIyZoWqKIL8DMBuIvXLYue0yEcquheBT1l18Y5NC6D7mp-HURFvKGgkomsragXzV-jwTgVFVe9eF8SLdqDsQ9/CampFemaRoadkill.jpg?width=628&height=504

oh and yeah thanks for everything, ash.

scandia
    Participant

Jal asked ” Is it necessary to be in debt to be considered in Debt Slavery “.
    A brilliant insight, Jal. And a disturbing question.
    I have used your question to help understand why an occasional employer tried to grind me for a fiver last week. My feelings were hurt:)
    @Ash , Your writing about debt and oil have brought me out of ignorance in that I had not made the connection that fossil fuels enabled us to free human beings from slavery. Duh, it has been posssible to take the high road when we had a substitute for human muscle power. Before fossil fuels it was ” normal ” to have a master, hopefully a kind master.

el gallinazo

As the Firesign Theater spoke on their classic album, Don’t Crush that Dwarf (in relation to soiled sheets), “Nothing’s on purpose, Ma’m.” Ash, you seem to be rebutting that observation. You must be a Conspiracy Factist. Excellent post.

Scandia, there was a small class in feudal Europe, between the serfs and the aristocracy, known as the freemen. Many were in the craft / guild systems. The aristocracy found it difficult to nurture high technical skill levels within the serf system itself, which was more geared to agricultural peasantry. However, this devolved into its own sort of slavery with the apprentices as virtual slaves, and the journeymen still under the sway of the “master” guildsmen. When there were enough masters in a city or town to allow honest competition for the services of a journeyman, then the daily wage was set by a free market, which allowed some freedom to the journeyman class. The term “journeyman” comes from the French “jour” for daily wage. One way the masters could control this was by allowing only masters to employ journeymen and limiting the number of masters through political coercion. Since we appear to be headed back into feudalism, one might as well become more familiar with the details and your future place in it. BTW, the terms apprentice, journeyman, and master are still used by the North American plumbers union. My recommendation is to study to become a braumeister. This will be a field in demand locally after the serfs eat the Budweiser Clydesdales. That evolved state of consciousness, as discussed in the Upanishads as “the realm of the thirsty shitfaced,” is a real up and comer.

Bosuncookie
    Participant

“That evolved state of consciousness, as discussed in the Upanishads as ‘the realm of the thirsty shitfaced,’ is a real up and comer.”

Made me laugh out loud!

Dig Dirt

Aiming for a self reliant life on a small acreage while servicing the small mortgage and raising a child – (add to that, owner building ) , is getting close to self-induced slavery (to an ideal of freedom). Freeing The Mind is looking like a good option coz this body is sinewy enough from hard labour for me to want an i.t. Job!
    Can the Upanishads help me El G?

Back to digging dirt

sumac.carol
    Participant

Ash, thank you for drawing attention to the corporate angle on prison labour. In Canada, plans are in place to substantially increase the number of prisons, along with implementing mandatory minimum sentences, a move that is vocally criticized by the national bar association. This is all happening as our statistical agency points out that the crime rate is decreasing. Understanding how corporations can potentially benefit from prison labour, never mind the construction contracts, provides a rationale that is consistent with everything else we are seeing these days.

el gallinazo

Dig Dirt wrote:

“Can the Upanishads help me El G?”

I read them in my 20’s and I’m still fucked up at 65, so what do you think?

DIYer
    Participant

@el g,
    It isn’t “budweiser” any more, it’s Inbev.
    And I believe they have just sold off the clydesdales.

MR166

I found it interesting that this discussion on debt slavery has turned into a discussion on drugs and jails. In reality both debt and drugs can be highly addictive to most of the population. Both can bring instant gratification and lead us to put off thoughts of future consequences.

Used properly, both can and have benefited society and made our lives better.

Used for recreation, both can and do wreck havoc with our lives.

Governments are just as prone, if not more so, to become addicted to credit. It is like crack to them.

el gallinazo

MR166

“I found it interesting that this discussion on debt slavery has turned into a discussion on drugs and jails. “

Huh? Part I was all about how the Jim Crow era used prisons as a form of slavery and how people in the deep north like MN are being throw in jail for not paying their debts. It didn’t “turn into” anything. That was the feature articles.

And over 50% of the dudes in jail now are in for victimless crimes such as minor drug possession without intention to sell. As people become more miserable, they will use more drugs, particularly alcohol, and as most of them are illegal, it will give TPTB more coercive leverage. And as the prisons are increasingly sold or leased to private corporations, these corporations want guarantees that they will have enough inmates to make them profitable. The US has by far the highest per capita prison population of any country in the world.

MR166, let me commend you for never using a recreational drug. It’s not easy to go through life without even an occasional beer, coffee, or cigar. I know because I gave beer up a couple of weeks ago becoming just too damn fat and my pants wouldn’t stay up. And I kicked coffin nails 23 years ago and counting. I had nightmares for years of lighting up a cigarette which would wake me up in a cold sweat. But if I am ever tempted to use a recreational drug, which is very unlikely as I live where I do at the forbearance of a government of which I am both a non-citizen and useless eater, I will check in with you to make sure that it is “used properly.”

Supergravity
    Participant

Public debt keeps people in state-sanctioned debt servitude without them personally being in debt, insofar as that the cause of taxes is love of the deficit. A whole country can be thrown in a forced labor market for its inextinguishable debt, with bureaucracies such as the IMF as sadistic warden.
    Usually, wage-based purchasing power is continuously inflated away as a function of malicious monetarism and the exploitation of the money supply for private profit, creating a collective indentured servitude to the corporate-financial complex, and providing the cumulative conditions for accruing private debt and poverty-based crime.

MR166

Libertarians are all for individual freedoms which on the surface is a good thing until Their money is taken away from them in order to support others who have ruined their lives utilizing their freedoms. Are you willing to take a crack addicted mother and her child into your home or will my taxes have to pay for them to survive? Perhaps we could employ them. I hear that heroin addicts make great taxi drivers. Perhaps you would like to have your children taught by a teacher on acid.

Golden Oxen
    Participant

@MR166 What nonsense!

Extremely difficult to keep people in debt slavery when you don’t have a functioning monetary system. The Euro is headed for the Great Beyond, the Dollar will not be far behind. So how do you hold people in debt servitude if you do not have a functioning monetary system?

RE
    https://www.doomsteaddiner.org

ben

Reverse Engineer post=640 wrote: Extremely difficult to keep people in debt slavery when you don’t have a functioning monetary system. The Euro is headed for the Great Beyond, the Dollar will not be far behind. So how do you hold people in debt servitude if you do not have a functioning monetary system?

RE
    https://www.doomsteaddiner.org

corruption is the system. there will always be money. right steveB? :sick: and money conversions/reversions. isn’t money just proxy debt? the state will credit people things they have commandeered via deflation, legislation, coup, or other twickewy: protection, food, clothing, and shelter, so long as they can provide, directly or indirectly, a surplus in return. jimmy the kneecapper don’t need no reason just an excuse. jimmy being vinny’s surviving cousin.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.