Why I stopped reading TAE

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Open Comments Why I stopped reading TAE

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Viscount St. Albans
    Participant

See Jane. Jane has a car. A car has four wheels and an engine. When Jane presses the horn, it goes honk.

And the evil banksters stole all the money.

Now then, can I write you another 4 paragraphs before you fall asleep?

In the summer of 2008, it was new and fresh to read about evil banksters. Now, almost 4 years later, even my 8 year old nephew knows the rough chronology, and the narrative.

When the articles sound like they’re writing themselves, I start skimming. When I sense that the writer isn’t surprised or intrigued by his creation, I skip paragraphs, then posts, and then the site.

Writing should entertain as well as inform. That’s partly why I miss El G.

As the longtime UPI editor and Beat Generation fouder, Lucien Carr, often told his reporters — when writing a lead:
    “Make me cry or make me horny.”

Or, as Moliere noted:
    “The duty of comedy is to correct men by amusing them.”

peacegarden

I just created an account so I could comment…I’ve been coming here for a long time. I purchased the “Century…” web version and was able to share that with my husband, who started to come down the path of grief initiated by the clusterduck of 2008. Fortunately, I had gone through my stages and have been able to support him as he moves through his journey to some truth and clarity in the face of so much thaumaturgy.

I was a monthly donor as well, only $10.00, but I believed in this site and greatly valued Nicole and Illargi’s content. Even more, I came to appreciate the quality of the commentariat here…El G, Snuffy, Scandia, Greenpa, well, the list goes on and on. I did not always read all the articles supporting and contrasting the essay presented, but I kept coming back for the community here.

That is gone, as far as I can see, and I keep coming, hoping that will change, but it looks rather bleak. Rarely does a comment thread last past page one, then…well, it’s sad.

I thought it was just the usual hard adjustment to change of an aging hippy, and I am not saying I will abandon this place just yet…but it’s not looking good.

Ashvin is a smart guy, and I have enjoyed and learned from many of his entries, but when did he take over “being” TAE?…it really feels that way to me. It may just be a perfect storm of so much travel on the part of Nicole and Illargi, coupled with this new format with a dash of polarization thrown in for seasoning…if so, I apologize. But I am sorry that TAE spent so much money going to a “better” hosting place. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

My reasons for thinking I will stop reading TAE are different from those of Viscount St Albans, but he has a point.

Green blessings to all

Peacegarden

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, this is a great essay you have provided here. Moreover, it shows your writing acknowledgment in this sphere. I want to share with you one source which helped me in my life with my job position. Thanks to the best resume reviews here I managed to change my job and get a better job offer.

ossifiedprime
    Participant

It’s really something to take care of. You can explore a variety of environments, hallways, levels, and pretty much everything else you can think of in the survival horror game the backrooms

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.