10 Years Automatic Earth

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum 10 Years Automatic Earth

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

10 Years Automatic Earth Winslow Homer Mending the nets 1881   Yes, it’s 10 years ago today, on January 22 2008, that Nicole Foss and I published
    [See the full post at: 10 Years Automatic Earth]

zerosum
    Participant

Thank You!

Your best advise
    “get out of debt. “

However, the saving that I believed that I had are truly gone. I will realise it when the cash flow stops.

( Cash flow stops when those individuals that are in debt do not make their payments)

zerosum
    Participant

The links to your “More Good Read” </strong >list need to be updated.

Nassim
    Participant

Happy Birthday 🙂

sumac.carol
    Participant

I first saw Nicole’s presentation in a community centre in downtown Ottawa. People were playing soccer in the gym next door and so the presentation was punctuated by the sound of the ball hitting the wall. I went home that night and told my husband that I had heard a presentation that was a game changer. Thanks to you both and Happy Birthday!

V. Arnold
    Participant

Get out of debt.

Done; last house payment last week.
    Indeed, congratulations and best for the future.

sinnycool
    Participant

Congratulations to you both and fond memories from Tasmania, Ilargi.

Lyn & Phil

garob
    Participant

“It implies we may have to do with less, and that’s not what we’re hardwired to do”.
    It wouldn’t matter if we changed our minds and did with less, on the contrary: Doing so would crash the financial system instantly.
    How could it be otherwise, who would lend money and carry risk if there wasn’t a remuneration in the form of a future dividend?
    I.e. a future that needs to allways be bigger than the present?

To change this would need a totally new system, something that cannot be achieved by individual action.

garob
    Participant

“Ironically (and there’s lots of irony in the story of our tragic species), we produce more food per capita today than ever before”
    We don’t really produce anything.
    Modern agriculture is just another extraction business: We extract nutrients from the soil and truck it to the consumer in the form of food.
    We supplement the loss of nutrients by shipping supplements from far away places and apply to the soil as fertilizers.
    All of these fertilizers, most notably phosphorus, constitute an extraction of non-renewable material, and is thus in no way different from extracting oil.
    All nutrients are subsequently lost when being flushed down the drain in that modern contraption: The Water Closet.
    A true “killer application” if there ever was one.
    A wonderful solution to the problem of hygiene in crowded places.
    With the inevitable unintended consequences.
    Not an irony, more a full on tragedy.

V. Arnold
    Participant

garob
    Enjoyed your comment; indeed, doing with less would crash the system.

To change this would need a totally new system, something that cannot be achieved by individual action.

Oh, I dunno; maybe one person at a time can at least change things for the individual. Not unimportant, IMO.
    I’m afraid the pack will not soon, change their behavior.
    There’s just something about the collective that is best avoided; a practice we here at the Hermitage do on a daily basis.
    Cheers

V. Arnold
    Participant

garob

Not an irony, more a full on tragedy.

Yes; we’re far, far, from our origins.
    History, as a lesson, has taught us only a catastrophe will change anything; and not always to the good…

rapier
    Participant

It’s time to fold AE up. What is it’s purpose anymore? Almost everyone receptive to the message that modern centralized industrial society is unsustainable over any long term has already gotten that message. Daily compendiums tiny system failures against the backdrop of system entrenchment and advance serve no purpose but to stoke peoples emotions and apparently provide you with a little income. Reduced to aligning with the perfect synthesis of fascism and neoliberalism, ZH. That’s what you have been reduced to, to get your buck. AE has become a racket.

SteveB
    Participant

First, cheers on 10 years! I wouldn’t have guessed it would be so long (in multiple ways).

Next, please, enough with the “tragic species” fallacy. It’s our culture that’s (fatally?) flawed. That we’re a species capable of believing is coincidental, not causative. If you truly believe that the narrative matters, stop perpetuating the false one. Are the dying refugee children (to throw out just one of many potential heart string tuggers) worthy of our at least DISCUSSING the true nature of our culture–in particular, its basis–such that we might actually act in a way that truly demonstrates concern for their wellbeing and destiny rather than CONTINUING TO MAWKISHLY LAMENT WHAT’S UNDENIABLY WITHIN OUR CONTROL? Probably not. Not so far, not yet, not at all. Yet I’ll keep trying.

John Day
    Participant

Happy 10th anniversary. I have been on board since about May 2008. I’ve finally sent another (borrowed) donation to you, having been more faithful in donating to the Greek soup kitchen in recent years. We keep being “close” to paying off the credit card, a “receding horizon”, to be sure.
    I’d like to mention other Oil Drum veterans, Gail Tverberg (the Actuary) https://ourfiniteworld.com/
    and Nate Hagans, who teaches more and blogs less, these days https://www.themonkeytrap.us/
    Gail’s take that “The Depression of the 1930s Was an Energy Crisis (peak anthracite coal) is really a well supported hypothesis, which explains a LOT of history at once. https://ourfiniteworld.com/2017/12/19/the-depression-of-the-1930s-was-an-energy-crisis/

BrianF
    Participant

Good work. I read your Debt Rattle every day (just made an ID now!)

It’s hard for humans to admit we are the problem and not the solution. Is cancer a terrible disease if you are a cancer cell? Bravo for reminding us of the 2nd law which essentially damns us as machines which convert energy to create entropy, no matter what we do, even if is in futile efforts to clean things up. It is so frustrating to to be faced with the inescapable reality that the only solution is temporary and that solution is to do is little as possible. History has shown us that the humans that do the MOST (not the least) prevail and supplant the ones who do less. Solution: get ready for each change as it comes, observing how the changes get closer and closer together, though slowly and gradually.

As for debt, why get out of debt if it will all default? I say get IN debt since it will all default and the counterparties are going to pay (the pension funds). If you are saving, make sure you are not the counterparty to somebody else’s future debt default. There is no way on earth all this debt will be repaid. Not unless a quarter of all working people become collection agents.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Ilargi, thank you for your service, and thanks for sharing. (That’s the concise version, totally sincere.)

I believe what we as individuals can do about entrenched problems comes down to who or what we are serving during our brief lives. Ilargi points out the flaws and ongoing shenanigans in the systems (increasing awareness of some readers more than others), but his service and sharing goes far beyond this. He found a way to “do what he can”, at an up-close-and-personal level, to reduce suffering in his European backyard. “Every penny goes where it belongs, nobody gets a salary.” Inspirational.

oxymoron
    Participant

Yeah – i must say a big thanks too. Been around 9 years for me here and it’s been inspirational – particularly to 2011 and then after that more like the best little newspaper for me on the net. I am very thankful to Illargi for linking and commenting on a range of articles I wouldn’t have time to dig for.
    All the best and keep up the good work. Get out of debt no matter what. Nothing much gets cancelled out down the line of history….. there’s always someone who’ll look to collect

V. Arnold
    Participant

oxymoron
    Nothing much gets cancelled out down the line of history….. there’s always someone who’ll look to collect.

Yes, talk with Argentina about the vulture capitalists; no debt will be forgiven or left to fester; all debt will be hunted down and collected.
    Unfortunately most do not understand the evils of debt; especially personal debt.
    But then debt drives the US; so, it’s in their interest to keep the peon’s ignorant.

TheTrivium4TW
    Participant

Congratulations on 10 years of dedication to warning people about the upcoming debt-money bubble collapse. While the espoused timing wasn’t very good, the general point is absolutely spot on – which is a rarity in the Empire or Lies.
    Is it too much to ask that the Money Power ROOT CAUSE of the debt-money bust finally be exposed in an article since you avoided doing so for the first 10 years?
    As a systems engineer, it is an obvious truism that one can’t solve a problem unless one roots out the ROOT CAUSE of the problem.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.