Debt Rattle April 25 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle April 25 2018

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Amedeo Modigliani Nu allongé 1917   • Why All Companies Fear ‘Death By Amazon’ (G.) • Richmond Fed Manufacturing Survey Crashes By Most In 25 Yea
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle April 25 2018]

That Modigliani at the top goes on auction today for an estimated minimum of $150 million. Not quite Da Vinci prices yet, but then Modigliani is nowhere near as rare as Leo. He painted a lot of these ‘reclining’ nudes.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Still, that’s not chump change.
    Actually I’m not that whelmed by Modigliani, but, that’s just me…

Do we want monopolies? We’re letting them grow in front of our eyes.

There is a malaise across the western world that I find most troubling; I’ve railed about this pathological apathy for more than a decade. And no, I didn’t expect to have any effect; but I didn’t even get any agreement; now that’s a tell…
    People in the western world act more like a beaten down dog, cowering before the world they want to deny exists.

zerosum
    Participant

• In Japan, New Rules May Leave Home-Sharing Industry Out In The Cold (R.)
    • Palma de Mallorca To Ban Holiday Rentals After Residents’ Complaints (BBC)

The wet dream of a capitalist is to have a monopoly.
    The aim of capitalism is to achieve a monopoly
    Elites expect to have total power and all the wealth
    Kill, buy-out or control all competition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

zerosum
    Participant

Will THE SHIT HIT THE FAN?

When will THE SHIT HIT THE FAN?

What to do when THE SHIT HIT THE FAN?

Guess what!!!
    THE SHIT HAS ALWAYS BEEN HITTING THE FAN SOMEWHERE.

Don’t panic!
    In case you forgot.
    Go and read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowsmith_Country_Life

Originally called Harrowsmith, the magazine was heralded as a back-to-the-land and environmental issues platform. In 1976, founder James M. Lawrence cut and paste the first issues together on a kitchen table in the tiny village of Camden East (pop. 256) in Ontario, Canada. Within two years, the magazine had over 100,000 subscribers and eventually became Canada’s 8th largest magazine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Earth_News

Mother Earth News embraced the revived interest in the back-to-the-land movement at the beginning of the 1970s, and combined this with an interest in the ecology movement and self-sufficiency. Unlike many other magazines with ecological coverage, Mother Earth News concentrated on do-it-yourself and how-to articles, aimed at the growing number of people moving to the country. As a result, the magazine thrived throughout the 1970s. There were articles on home building, farming, gardening, and entrepreneurism, all with a DIY approach. The subject matter of the articles ranged widely into such subjects as geodesic domes, hunting, food storage, and even a regular column on amateur radio. Alternative energy was a frequent topic covered in the magazine, with articles on how to switch to solar power and wind power, and how to make a still and run your car on ethanol. A series of “Plowboy Interviews” was also a regular feature, which included interviews of environmental leaders and others. With its left of center perspective, The Mother Earth News attracted a wide readership, not only of back to the landers but also others ranging from hippies, to survivalists, to suburban dwellers who dreamed of someday moving to the country, to long-time rural dwellers who found the DIY articles useful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.