ALL ABOARD THE ENTROPIC DEATH MACHINE

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Open Comments ALL ABOARD THE ENTROPIC DEATH MACHINE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    zarathrustra

ALL ABOARD THE ENTROPIC DEATH MACHINE
    written by Zarathrustra

It is obvious,to all who care to acknowledge it,that humanity faces multiple crises;Resource depletion,overpopulation,the degredation of eco-systems and the early phases of massive climate disruption,as our greenhouse gas emissions have succeeded in pushing the system out of equilibrium into an increasingly violently oscillating state of dis-equilibrium.
    Yet collectively,we continue with “business as usual”;Growth will save us from the current economic recession,recycling rubbish and driving hybrid cars will prove to be a panacea for all the planetary abuse we have commited;A post modern version of Hair shirt pennance wherby our cars become ever uglier and childish in their appearance as a masochistic punishment for their continuing anti-social existence.
    This is of course a load of rubbish;Emission levels continue to inexorably rise,as do sea levels increasingly common “freak ” weather conditions cause droughts and floods,causing millions to becomerefugees and to suffer starvation etc ,etc and so the sad litany of species facing self extinction goes on and on…WHY?
    Many contend its simply because of an intrinsic selfishness;We in the (post)industrialised west like our material comforts too much and so make excuses to continue enjoying them.
    However,my belief is that the reason why the global capitalist system cannot and will not change is because that beneath the conscious surface activities of greed,self obsession,power trips and exploitation lies a deep subconscious and collective unconscious death wish;The system yearns for self destruction ,for punishment ,like Raskolnikov in Dostoyevskys masterful “Crime and punishment” the guilt of the crime is too great for the unconscious to bear;Atonement is secretly,longingly desired.
    Why this secret death urge? My answer may cause some readers discomfort but hear me out;Global Capitalism in its current form is an American meme slavishly imitated across the globe and the death urge implicit in this conceptual cancer, stems from the collective unconscious guilt of the native american genocide which allowed the european colonists to claim the vast territories of that continent.
    American popular culture is full of books and films depicting invasion;By goggle eyed aliens, Soviet sadists or Funda-mental Islamists;This is the conscious manifestation of the underlying guilt; The crime is transposed to a fictional aggressor who acts out the mass murdering ethnic cleansing which,in reality,forms the foundation of the USA as anation state;Small wonder then, that Israel is such a close ally;Leaving aside its geo-political usefulness as a nuclear armed regional hegemon,pyschologically there is unfortunately much in common;Shock! Horror! I’ve mentioned the” I” word!
    Is there a solution ? Its simple really;NO. Humanity will continue along the path of thanotos until the multiple crises converge and billions are wiped out by famine,flood disease and war;The cancer has metastasised for too long and now we must collectively pay for the crimes of those who are in the thrall of a disgusting pathological sickness.
    But the Earth abides………

digging

Well I’m new here but you have made an interesting point.

Oddly the core point you made reminds me of something said in the book of Revelations, go figure?

Rev 9:6 And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them.

The bible is also a history book so perhaps this is a pattern of empires behaviors as they fall?

Digging

ashvin
    Participant

Zarathustra, loving the analogy to “Crime and Punishment”. I do get the sense that many of us are longing for that kind of repentance for our past sins, even collective sins, and perhaps even many of those in the ruling elite class. Yet our worldly urge is to project that need onto others or justify our fundamentally unjustifiable transgressions as necessary deeds in the face of some vaguely defined threat or “evil”.

digging, I like this sentiment from Paul:

2Corinithians7 wrote: 8Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

Obviously, the concept of longing for and seeking repentance/atonement is found all throughout the Bible, as is the concept (and reality) of avoiding/rejecting those things and reaping the consequences. As for war, famine, disease, earthquakes and floods, we unfortunately get plenty of that too…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.