Assange, Infowars and the Constitution

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Assange, Infowars and the Constitution

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Vasily Polenov Christ among the teachers (doctors) 1896   This morning I woke up, looked around me, and saw a world sinking into a quagmire of vo
    [See the full post at: Assange, Infowars and the Constitution]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Alex jones is a wack job; but should be free to wack away.
    Julian Assange is a reporter; but demonized as a treasonous turncoat (impossible, he’s an Australian citizen).
    This is the opening salvo on the first amendment; its going down.
    You have a front row seat to the death of the last vestages of freedom in the U.S..
    IMO, Usian’s freedom to leave will be the next to go…think about that…

zerosum
    Participant

Ask President Trump to pardon persecuted journalist Julian Assange

Jurisdiction question?

Maybe Canada could something?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-saudi-arabia-to-withdraw-all-saudi-students-studying-at-canadian/

OTTAWA — Canada on Monday refused to back down in its defense of human rights after Saudi Arabia froze new trade and investment and expelled the Canadian ambassador in retaliation for Ottawa’s call to free arrested Saudi civil society activists.

davefairtex
    Participant

Why is it I’m not outraged by Alex Jones? I mean, I find him an annoying blowhard – the one time I watched his show was when Binney was on there talking about leaks vs hacks – I really admire Binney, he’s such a patriot – but Alex just couldn’t get himself out of the way for more than about ten seconds.

It is a fascinating thought though, to imagine that he’s such a threat to some people that they feel they have to censor him. I’ve been waiting for someone to come along and establish a “free speech” youtube that doesn’t actually censor people. The more censorship that youtube does, the larger the opening for a “free tube” becomes. And if Alex promotes it, “free tube” gets a deluge of instant users.

Things are getting interesting.

I think the censorship is an own-goal. It just increases the chance for a “free-tube” to be created. And then they will lose all ability to monitor or shadowban or stealthily down-rate or profile, etc.

Patricia
    Participant

I have signed the petition. Have all of you?

John Day
    Participant

Things were very hard on Alex during the Clinton and Bush II regimes. He’s a good guy, well meaning. The blowhard persona protects him somewhat, by making him easy to dismiss, rather than silence. I stood next to him a couple of times on the steps of the Texas Capital, long ago. I like to hear his voice coming from a parked work truck, when I’m riding my bike here in Austin. Comforting. No, I don’t really listen, or go to his site, except just now, to sign the petition.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Patricia
    This one has signed it.

palloy
    Participant

I signed it, but the petition needs qualification – how can Assage be pardoned when he hasn’t done anything wrong?

Patricia
    Participant

Yes, I agree with you palloy. It was worded very badly but even so I felt I could not quibble over the words. He has to be able to be free.

regionswork
    Participant

Alex Jones ≠ Julian Assange

Years ago, Alex was an interesting source. He hasn’t been reliable for the past few.

Frenzy puts anything out there. In his divorce proceeding he claimed the on air persona was a character, not him.

“Give people enough rope and they’ll hang themselves” is traditional advice for dealing with those that carry on like that. Media is subject to misuse. Ad revenue keeps it going. Tele-evangelists often play the game well.

My benchmark for news reporters is old school: Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow, John Chancellor

News used to be a public service to meet FCC requirements of use of the public broadcast spectrum.

The MBAs decided the news division it should be a profit center. Infotainment, the 24/7 news cycle and ratings competition, plus behavioral economics loaded up new media.

History is a difficult subject. Complex and often boring, it doesn’t have the juice of an action-adventure movie.

CSPAN has done a good job for decades broadcasting live Congressional sessions and hearings, showing the slow, deliberate, often comic way things take place in the U.S. democracy.

Its BookTV series features non-fiction books and their authors, people who have developed some knowledge around the topics they cover. Learning continues after a book is published.

These are available online for those not cable TV subscribers.

graffiti
    Participant

This comment section is the amazing thing about the internet…..we can all agree or disagree with what has been said. You couldn’t interact when your sole source of news came via a TV, radio or a magazine/ newspaper…..the only way to interact with the news was a letter to the editor and there was no guarantee it would be published. The newspaper could shut down your opinion by not publishing.

Patricia
    Participant

Yes, graffiti, I like this website too. The people who comment are respectful of other’s views and enable one to reflect on what was said. So many of other websites are so rude and abusive. Quite amazing really. Why would anyone want to be abusive about another’s person’s views? It is so limiting and just shuts all thought down.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.