Debt Rattle April 2 2019

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle April 2 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Edgar Degas L’absinthe (In a café) 1875-76   • German Manufacturing Sector “Clearly In Deep Recession” (BI) • US Still Cleanest Dirty Shirt Among
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle April 2 2019]

As for the ads/funding/Patreon conversation we started in yesterday’s Comments, I was going to write a huge essay on that, and about how the media landscape has changed (as I wrote in that he top space on the site). The reason I haven’t yet is I am not here to ask people for money, that’s the hardest thing there is. And I’m not a salesman to begin with, but the changes from when we started out 11 years ago mean you increasingly have to promote/advertize/sell yourself. Something totally different from reading/thinking/writing. But I’ll write that thing soon.

As for Patreon, in the end it comes down to the difference between a Recurring Donation here on TAE itself, and doing it via Patreon is that they take another 5%, on top of the 3-4% Paypal already takes. So what’s the point of that? But I’ll set up a Patreon page as well.

What is true for both options is that more and more people and outlets disappear behind paywalls of various grades and shapes, and I really don’t want to do that. I understand why people do it, but it leads somewhere I don’t want to be. It leads to less affluent people getting less balanced news, and affluent people the only ones with the privilege of access. Patreon also mostly includes some sort of Paywall, though Jim Kunstler set up his page with the explicit aim of using it to keep his writing freely available. That’s what I will do as well.

Ads did relatively well for years, but I don’t see that coming back. Google has cornered that market (too), and it’s been mismanaged to such a degree that no-one can blame people for using ad-blockers. The zenith is something like independent.co.uk, where you can’t tell the news from the ads anymore, sound files start playing on their own accord that you can’t stop etc.

I’ll revisit all this soon. Meanwhile, I’m -obviously- sympathetic to No Man Is An Island, who said yesterday:

How much funding does ad sense bring in annually? Is it worth it ? Can we as a community detach from from teat of the demon and help Illargi be free financially? What would it take 20 or 30 o 100 daily readers to donate?

There have been people signed up for recurring donations for a long time, and I love them to bits, but right now this doesn’t bring in more than $2-300 per month. I have a secret dream about bringing Nicole back into the fray, but that would mean raising a lot more revenue.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Thanks for that Ilargi; I, of course, had no idea. Major bummer.
    I, for one, will try paypal again to see if I can make it work.
    I do not want to lose your site; it’s, hands down, the best of show!
    Truly!

Dr. D
    Participant

“Any reporter who tries that will be hit with 30-second spots of all their ridiculous claims about collusion,”

But isn’t lambasting reporters for their own catastrophically wrong reporting, where head of CNN Zucker says “we don’t investigate the news”, where millions are killed by their confirmation of “weapons of mass destruction” and “ties to al-Qaeda” (Saddam’s own arch enemy); isn’t later reminding people of their own words and consequences really hate speech? Isn’t it just helping the Russians and trolling to report the awful, deadly things they said and what happened next, to point out what the American people and real journalists thought about it and tell them how much they suck and how much we disrespect them? I mean, that’s hate, right? We hate bad reporting that kills people by the thousands. And hate like that needs to be censored by mega-corporations and bloodthirsty governments for the good of the people.

How did it start? “MI6 intelligence agent Christopher Steele[‘s]” British election tampering, by his paying cash money to the Kremlin, in cooperation with the FBI and CIA, and with $100M in illegal funding for HRC from Saudi Arabia. But they’re right, that’s NOT a story, because that’s business as usual for the status quo.

“China Says to Curb All Types of Fentanyl, Following US Demands (BBC)”

Suuuure they will. They read the history of the opium wars, and know more Americans are killed every year by their opium than were killed in the whole Vietnam war. But they’re red people with funny hats, so who cares? If only we had a border we could stop this. But stopping the death of 60,000 people a year would be more reckless hate we can’t afford.

“Biblical Anxieties (Kunstler)”

While true, what he misses is that they are on strict earth cycles. Large plagues happen ONLY in certain windows. Why is a good question that needs further investigation. But that says all things come and go in their season, and like the I Ching, we can know what season we are in.

Everyone is going on about the destruction, the million farm acres under water and so on. But they don’t want to talk about deserts worldwide are greening. Good news isn’t sexy. It’s also not stable (yet). But if the whole Southwest gets steady rain and snow, North Africa and the savannah can grow food, and Central Asia moves to a string of productive oaises, yes food goes down in the bottom of Nebraska, but rises in Africa. Things change. They don’t like that because it shows humans aren’t smart, they don’t know things, and can’t predict or control it. For the West, the only real stories are where humans control things, especially if they’re doing it wrong and need to be killed.

“Insects Have ‘No Place to Hide’ from Climate Change (G.)”

I wonder if anyone done a study of places where things are good and the bugs are fine. Probably not. That would be helpful and positive and as above, we need someone to kill and blame.

PS, ‘Nature’ has been through all of these things many times. CO2 was way over science’s limit, the seas were 100’ higher, and it survived, there was no runaway event. It’s been way colder, with seas 180’ lower, and everything was fine, bananas and coconuts and crocodiles survived. Not all things are good, but we compare them only to what the world looked like when we were children, not to “Nature’s” normal, in which we and our whole era are an irrelevant blip, soon to vanish. As above, how little we matter cannot be reported, because then how would I sell my profitable intervention? Why would you consent to my tyrannical control?

zerosum
    Participant

If my total income was $100.00 and if there were 100 beggars with their hand out for just $1.00, then tell me how I could feed myself if I gave it all away.
    I’ve changed my lifestyle, like so many of you, to be able to feed myself. Also, there are some beggars not getting a dollar.
    The world economies are all slowing down. Some beggars are not getting their dollar.
    • German Manufacturing Sector “Clearly In Deep Recession” (BI)

PlanetaryCitizen
    Participant

How many times do I have to reiterate this point? C. Steele and Fusion GPS were hired by Paul Singer to find disqualifying dirt on Trump because he didn’t like him and wanted Marco Rubio to get the nomination. So the article is a lie and van Buren is a liar. His whole website is a fabrication of partial truths and misinformation designed to promote right wing hit pieces.

BoomerDoomer2
    Participant

Surely the NOAA estimate of 200 million in Kunstler’s piece is incorrect. It would mean that two thirds of the US population could be flooded…

If Nicole had moved to Spokane and bought a modest home, she wouldn’t need so much money. : ) When I checked into the prices of the place she moved to I was shocked. It was at least 3-4 times what my wife and I paid for a nearly self-sufficient property here in Spokane. It seems to me that folks pay a lot of money to be around like-minded folks — and for granite countertops. We have an intentional community here in Spokane and the cost for a home is 2-3 times the cost of a freestanding home that is twice the size…

IRS, what place do you mean that Nicole supposedly moved to?

And I don’t appreciate the pretty empty “she wouldn’t need so much money if..” any more than I do zerosum’s association with ‘beggars’ in this thread. Neither Nicole nor I have ever lived on a broad scale, and neither of us have any designs on that. So dim it.

May’s just giving it all away live on TV: long extension, talk to Corbyn, next step national government. But she won’t be there.

Dr. D
    Participant

“the NOAA estimate of 200 million in Kunstler’s piece is incorrect.”

That was wiiiiidely quoted, but since nobody has any common sense, and in the U.S. land of bulls–t, nobdy even cares if things are true or false, no one called shenanigans on it. I get too busy chasing all the other lies, and dropped it too.

This has also become common as the weather channel and reporting goes full sensationalist, fact-free, and again, total bulls–t like their viewers, saying “winter storm will affect 250 million people!!!” Jah mon, it’s what we call “winter”. In North America. The “storm” they will put on camera will be like 6″ in one part of Seattle that usually has no snow, but 2″ in the rest of the nation, like Chicago, who laughs the hearty laugh. 2″ of snow in Chicago is what they call “summer”.

But don’t let that stop the headlines.

200 Million? Sure, just like all the other lies. It may be possible. It’s called “spring”, when the recent snows melt and affect the high population areas like Boston and New Jersey, and few malls have water standing in the back lots. “Flooding”. Yup, totally totally true! We’d never lie.(technically). And never about dihydrogen monoxide, one of nature’s premier killers.

zerosum
    Participant

I must apologize for the untimely and misunderstanding use of “beggars” as an expression.
    I intended it to be interpreted for the many companies that have managed to get into the cash flow that you receive from us, for the service that we get from you.

Way back when, I explained why I, now, cut my own hair.
    I also,
    I do not want to lose your site; it’s, hands down, the best of show!
    A paywall would leave me out.
    I’m partof the peanut gallery.

BoomerDoomer2
    Participant

I guess you missed the ” : ) “… Ironic that I just contributed to the site moments before posting… Perhaps I am mistaken but I got the impression that Nicole moved to a community in New Zealand that was identified somewhere online… Keep up the good work, but don’t expect me to “dim it”. Whatever that means. I will refrain from commenting in the future. Censorship comes in many forms.

IRS, she didn’t, and I apologize if I reacted too strongly. But I have that when it comes to Nicole.

BoomerDoomer2
    Participant
    V. Arnold
    Participant

zerosum
    I also cut my own hair; have been for 10+ years.
    A resident of a hermitage best describes my life here… 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.