Debt Rattle April 23 2015

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle April 23 2015

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Harris&Ewing Camp Meade, Maryland 1917 • Half of US Fracking Companies Will Be Dead or Sold This Year (Bloomberg) • The ‘Grexit’ Issue And The Problem
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle April 23 2015]

polistra
    Participant

I don’t know why so many leftists are enamored of Bitcoin. It’s the exact opposite of an autonomous currency. It depends purely on the Web, which has always been run for the benefit of NSA; and it depends on encryption, which is NSA’s top specialty. Bitcoin is NOT ‘off the grid’; it’s even more tightly coupled to the grid than previous systems.

There are three ways to increase autonomy. Local scrip based on labor is ideal but very hard to achieve. Good old paper rectangles are the easiest. Clearing-house systems like hawala are probably the most effective. Hawala is really just pre-telegraph banking, where each bank keeps track of its debits and credits for a long time, then makes a physical exchange of actual rectangles with each counterparty bank at INFREQUENT intervals.

jal
    Participant

What does a change to a different operating system look like?
    (more of the same or a real change?)

French revolution.?
    Libya (failed state)?
    ISIS (different)?
    IMF(Greek path)?

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

There are three other Bitcoin problems:

1. The chain is readable by anyone with enough horsepower, meaning there is an indelible record of who bought what, i.e. it is the least anonymous currency in existence.

2. Recent ruling of “What is Bitcoin” says it is common property, meaning if there are legal issues anywhere previous to your ownership, your Bitcoins could be legally clawed back in dispute, similar to the way stolen property reverts.

3. Apparently, and similar to #1, if someone can gain enough Bitcoins they can de facto see the whole tree as well as control the currency’s price. Nations are much better equipped to mine Bitcoins quickly and gain this permanent upper hand, which would be self-funding, and there is every reason to think they have, or will.

This may explain why nations have held back on opposing Bitcoin competition, using it as an experiment in getting citizens to volunteer to the ultimate unbacked, non-real, total-surveillance, total-tax, non-state, world digital currency, and to have people think they are actually OPPOSING the system by doing so. It’s awesome.

Q: How can drilling in some areas possibly be that disruptive to herbivores? That’s never happened anywhere in North America, even the suburbs are stuffed with deer. And are they saying the wolves are at risk? Because reports are they’re expanding wildly where introduced in the Western states. Maybe the issue is more the incredible dieoff of Canadian forests due to rain and the pine beetle? Because yes, if the forests stop being green, there isn’t going to be enough browse for deer, who will be weak. But that would be a different ecological disaster, not the building of new access, which didn’t seem to do much back when the US did it in the 19 and early 20th c. Asking questions.

Raleigh
    Participant

People attempting to reach EU shores are not all fleeing war-torn countries. Many are economic migrants, some coming from as far away as Mali, Gambia, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Somalia, Eritrea and Bangladesh. The word has gone out that if they can make it to European shores, they will be accepted in. Tough decisions to be made because if you take them all in, they will just keep coming. The captains will continue to overload their boats because they will want to make as much money as possible per trip – the good-ole capitalist way – who cares who dies, because it most likely won’t be them.

These African countries are rich in resources, and yet the people don’t usually see much of these riches as their government leaders sell out their countries in order to line their own pockets. And the one guy who was doing a good job of providing for his citizens (Gaddafi) gets taken out, murdered, so the vested interests can continue making a killing.

Tough decisions. It’s not as if Greece, Spain or Portugal needs more labor at the moment. How about 50,000 going into Greece, a couple hundred thousand going into Spain? Yeah, that’s going to help. I don’t know the answer.

https://news.sky.com/story/1468979/captains-error-sank-overloaded-migrant-boat

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32434884

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

I’d give an ounce of gold for just one of those loaves of crusty bread (Shorpy photo, top). Of course, that’s two cents for the loaf of bread and the balance for the person with the time machine.

I’ve too-often found myself chomping at the bit to see this deflationary collapse finally get underway with some convincing speed, wearied by the eternal wait. But it now appears that the parasitic celebrity criminals we hold in such great esteem (that we actually go to the trouble to affirmatively vote for) already have well-developed plans to rob and kill us once that ruinous process really kicks in. It’s hard to notice, but for the time being, we are still enjoying the halcyon days before the government crackdowns, genocides and unsuccessful revolts.

Long ago, when I still subscribed to the gross exaggeration and misrepresentation known as the Nazi holocaust, I watched the movie “Shoah.” Some five hours long, as I recall. They asked the emaciated survivors of the camps why they endured in the face of murder, overwork and starvation. Their answer: “we wanted to see what happened next.” There was a scene where a Jew (I presume), on the way to a concentration camp, was accidentally left behind by the train at a stop. He ran after the train frantically trying to get back aboard, evidently unaware of its destination, or maybe wanting to reunite with kin. Hopefully I haven’t recalled the movie too inaccurately here. I saw it long ago.

A momentous shakeout, a once-in-a-thousand-year set of events, is coming soon on multiple fronts. Almost certainly an inflection, possibly even a near extinction. How will future students of history view you – – and the people who respond the way you are about to? I don’t pretend to know how any one person will respond, but most people will ride the roller coaster with white knuckles, and if they’re carted off in the dead of night to be killed, chalk it up to ill fate. Those throngs who sit on their hands will have no songs sung in their memory, will be completely forgotten, and will not be missed. Kind of like the way most Americans feel about a million murdered Iraqis.

I strongly suspect the criminal bags of dog shit that run this world are counting on that being the norm. And I have to confess: increasingly I myself toy with saying “good riddance.”

Is that too strong? Sorry. I think I tend to take these horrifying periods of history way to seriously. Especially when they’re just around the corner. So, back on topic, where can I put my money for a decent return? Where can I move outside the U.S. that will remain safe and free? Where can I get a flu shot now that my local Walmart has closed? An actual headline from the Drudge Report today: “Man bitten on face while trying to kiss venomous snake.” And I ask myself, “is it really going to be worth it to stick around just to see what happens next?” Not an easy question, but I’m giving it a lot of thought.

jal
    Participant

” … is coming soon on multiple fronts…. ”
    correction:
    Is happening on multiple fronts, as we speak.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Diogenes Shrugged

Wow, you sound thoroughly depressed. I would suggest if one isn’t at least a little depressed then that one doesn’t get it.
    As to where to put money? Probably the only safe place is a credit union.
    It’s a big world and I made my decision more than a decade ago. Am I safe? Probably more so than the U.S.. Safety is largely lifestyle and judgement choices. I have never felt threatened in my time here.
    Free? I can’t help you there; basically because I never understand what people mean by freedom. In many ways I feel more free here, in my day to day life, than I did stateside; but that’s a very subjective sense.
    Regardless what you decide, get a passport asap; nothing is for sure…

I liked the answer; I want to see what happens next. As far as I know; this is it; one shot.
    A life lived without risk is a life wasted, IMHO.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

V. Arnold: Not depressed, just deeply disappointed. As a kid, there was always the promise of brighter people, better inventions, remarkable breakthroughs. That changed. Now we’re realizing how crooked people are, especially those with wherewithal or power. Mankind used to have such potential. Now, mankind is declining in lies, scandal and crime. The scale of human failure (I’m pointing at those with control) is just terribly disappointing.

Freedom implies avoiding or escaping something harmful or unpleasant … like government, for instance.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Diogenes Shrugged
    That’s the extent of your response to my post?
    Wow, why the fuck did I waste my valuable time for that?

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

V. Arnold: Frankly, that sounded a little petulant.

I’m not here to make friends or enemies, as it often leads to a degeneration of the conversation. I’m here for the ideas – – the thinking. Thank you for your thoughts. I did not know your expectations from my response were so high. I expressed my disappointment with that portion of mankind that shaped much of the present world. In the process, I caused you to express disappointment in me. Sorry to hear that.

I don’t think there is a safe place to live, nor do I think there is a safe place to park wealth. I actually intended those questions to be rhetorical to provide a contrast between the kinds of selfish and short-sighted concerns most people spend their time with, and the task at hand which addresses the corrupt and collapsing economic and political structures.

That’s the best I can do. I have a passport and I don’t subscribe to fairy tales about afterlife. Best of luck to you.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ DS

I don’t know you, thus have no expectation on a personal level.
    Communication between strangers, using this media, is iffy at best, but I make attempts.
    Based on your reply it seems you expect rhetorical to be easily understood. Like irony and sarcasm, it’s not easy to discern without context or familiarity or skill.
    Cheers

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

V.A., Constructive comment. Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.