Debt Rattle December 10 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle December 10 2016

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Arthur Rothstein Interior of migratory fruit worker’s tent, Yakima, Washington 1936 • Donald Trump Team Takes Aim At CIA (CNN) • A Rising Stock Market
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle December 10 2016]

zerosum
    Participant

Question … The port of Heraklion on the island of Crete

Do the farmers have more product than what can be locally consumed or is it that the local consumers do not have the money to give to the farmers for the product?

Will the bankers go hungry?

neoh
    Participant

Thanks for another great year of presenting excellent articles and commentary. I stumbled upon this site when it started many years ago thanks to a commentator on another site providing a link.
    This site, along with members that provide polite commentary, is what I hope legitimate media evolve.
    You, along with your members, are able to provide intelligent opinion without devolving into low level racist laced profanity. This is important. The site remains inclusive to differing opinions (I’ve seen other sites ruined due to hate filled content).
    Thanks again. I’ll continue to donate.

Nassim
    Participant

Since we are all now aware that fake news has been propping up the mainstream media since 9/11, I have decided a little at the coral reef “catastrophe”. TAE has posted several links to this subject over the years.

Here are two entirely contradictory viewpoints – both by reputed experts in that area in Australia.

Professor Terry Hughes

Here is his selected bibliography:

• Catastrophes, phase-shifts, and large-scale degradation of a Caribbean coral reef. Hughes, T.P., Science (1994) 265:1547-1551.
    • Patterns of recruitment and abundance of corals along the Great Barrier Reef. Hughes, T.P., A.H. Baird, E.A. Dinsdale, <i>et al.</i>, Nature (1999) 397:59-63.
    • Regional-scale assembly rules and biodiversity of coral reefs. Bellwood, D.R., and T.P. Hughes, Science (2001) 292:1532-1534.
    • Historical overfishing and the recent collapse of coastal ecosystems. Jackson, J.B.C., T.P., Hughes, and 16 co-authors. Science (2001) 293:629-638.
    • Climate Change, Human Impacts, and the Resilience of Coral Reefs. Hughes, T.P., A.H. Baird, D.R. Bellwood, <i>et al.</i>, Science (2003) 301:929-933.
    • Confronting the coral reef crisis. Bellwood, D.R., T.P. Hughes, C. Folke, and M. Nyström, Nature (2004) 429:827-833.
    • New paradigms for supporting the resilience of marine ecosystems. Hughes, T.P., D.R. Bellwood, C. Folke, <i>et al.</i>, Trends in Ecology and Evolution (2005) 20:380-386.
    • Regime-shifts, herbivory and the resilience of coral reefs to climate change. Hughes, T.P., M.J. Rodrigues, D.R. Bellwood, <i>et al.</i>, Current Biology (2007) 17:360-365.
    • Rising to the challenge of sustaining coral reef resilience. Hughes, T.P., N. Graham, J.B.C. Jackson, <i>et al.</i>, Trends in Ecology and Evolution (2010) 25:633-642.
    • Assembly rules of reef corals are flexible along a steep climatic gradient. Hughes, T.P., A.H. Baird, E.A. Dinsdale, <i>et al.</i>, Current Biology (2012) 22:1-6.
    • Living dangerously on borrowed time during unrecognized regime shifts. Hughes, T.P., C. Linares, V. Dakos, <i>et al.</i>, Trends in Ecology and Evolution (2012) 28:149-155.
    • Multiscale regime shifts and planetary boundaries. Hughes, T.P., S. Carpenter, J. Rockström, <i>et al.</i>, Trends in Ecology and Evolution (2013). 28:389-395.

<p>And here is his page on the university website: Prof Terry Hughes ~ Distinguished Professor – ARC Australian Laureate Fellow
    ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies

</p>
    <p>Here is a typical example of his output Coral Bleaching Taskforce documents most severe bleaching on record</p>
    <p>I think it is fair to say that Terry Hughes is making a good living and a name for himself by spreading the “catastrophe” line. It is even the first word in his bibliography.

</p>
    <p>Witness number 2 is Professor Peter Ridd. He is on LinkedIn – unlike Ted Hughes – which suggests that he is looking for offers.</p>
    <p>
    And here is his research portfolio: Prof Peter Ridd ~ Professor College of Science & Engineering
    Centre for Tropical Water and Aquatic Ecosystem Research
    </p>
    <p>
    And here is what he has to say about coral bleaching: Prof Peter Ridd, bleaching is not new, like coral spawning, we just discovered it the 1980s
    </p>
    <p>You make up you own minds as to who the liar is. Personally, I have no doubt as to which of them is the psychopath.</p>

Nassim
    Participant

It seems one cannot correct or delete comments.

Obviously, I meant “I have decided do a little research of the coral reef “catastrophe”.”

Nassim
    Participant

One more thing I found is that Professor Ridd. It seems he has been in trouble with his university for revealing lies by other scientists:

“An Australian university recently censured marine scientist Paul Ridd for “failing to act in a collegial way and in the academic spirit of the institution,” because he questioned popular claims among environmentalists about coral reefs and global warming.

What was Ridd’s crime? He found out two of the world’s leading organizations studying coral reefs were using misleading photographs to make the case that global warming was causing a mass reef die-off. Ridd wasn’t rewarded for checking the facts and blowing the whistle on misleading science. Instead, James Cook University censured Ridd and threatened to fire him for questioning global warming orthodoxy.”

A new definition of academic misconduct

I hope that Trump will put an end to this nonsense. Australia always follows whatever happens in the USA.

neoh. many thanks for the kind words.

zerosum, Crete is large enough to produce excess crops. many smaller islands can hardly produce enough for themselves -let alone the tourists-.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.