Debt Rattle February 22 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle February 22 2020

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

DPC The Mammoth Oak at Pass Christian, Mississippi 1900   • Asymptomatic Wuhan Woman Infects Five Relatives With Coronavirus (G.) • COVID19 Morta
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle February 22 2020]

V. Arnold
    Participant

DPC The Mammoth Oak at Pass Christian, Mississippi 1900

That oak! Wow! Just wow…

lasttwo
    Participant

How many test kits in Africa? How many people are being tested 3-4 times to make sure a negative is a negative. Good luck putting the Genie back in the bottle. Ready or not here it comes.

Trumps is doing so much damage to the environment. Anyone would be better.
    But he does not have the entire market on money over everything else. Young Justin learned some stuff.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=trudeau+blockade

To V Arnolds point yesterday
    The factory farm model is seriously flawed. the world with chemically raised food is a huge threat to the health of people now and in the future, as those chemicals do not disappear, not to mention the potential to spread disease at a tremendous rate. Feed lots that feed animals any available low cost filler and then fill them with antibiotics because the feed is making the animals sick. Antibiotics don’t work as well because we are eating them in our food.

I urge anyone to try buying beef that has been raised humanely and fed what cows are meant to eat (grass) best if you can actually go to the farm to get it. Grass fed beef from a supermarket is not the same thing. Huge difference in taste and my personal experience is that I feel much better after making the switch. It all matters. how the animal is raised and how it is killed. Cows that are lined up and killed one after another are so full of adrenaline that the meat is effected. Best not to eat meat but if your going to eat meat do the right thing.

It is in the hands of the consumer. If we keep buying the factory farm crap they will keep selling it to you.

lms
    Participant

“It’s a great honor to be with President Putin. …. We’ve had great meetings. We have had a very, very good relationship. And we look forward to spending some pretty good time together. A lot of very positive things going to come out of the relationship.” That’s the president talking in Osaka, June, 2019. It’s one instance of many when he has had only positive things to say about Putin. When Sanders inferred that Putin is a friend of the president it wasn’t “innuendo”. It was an explicit and widely confirmed assessment of their relationship. Bashing the Trump bashers again.

If we can for a minute put aside the hysterical aversion to hysterical vilification of Russia, most people would agree that Putin is not a good man. He may be a good leader who has done good things for Russia in the same sense that the Chinese Communist Party has done good things for the Chinese people. But he has done so with a very heavy hand. It seems that you, as a journalist, would find it more alarming that a president who claims that the press is the enemy of the people is chummy with a man that has overseen the murder of over 2 dozen journalists who had been critical of his regime.

zerosum
    Participant

“• US Prepares For Coronavirus Pandemic, School And Business Closures (R.)”

Note:
    All of the people who complained about, whatever, concerning China, have better reload with fresh ammunition. You have seen nothing yet. The USA will provide you with more targets than you can shoot at.
    —-
    @ lasttwo
    It is in the hands of the consumer.

The majority consumers are so poor that all they can only afford to buy are beans.
    Only the well-to-do middle class, can afford to eat “green” and “chemical free”
    In case you did not notice, Mexicans pick the food you eat. Mexican are paid too little. Mexicans eat beans.
    Soon, the coronavirus, could be among all fresh food picked by hand..
    The new marketing motto could be, “VIRUS FREE”
    Why do you think that I keep saying,
    “Be nice to the cook.”

zerosum
    Participant

SK also reported its third death, a man in his 40s who was found dead in his apartment and posthumously tested.
    Update (1100ET): Italian health officials have confirmed nearly two dozen more cases across Lombardy and Veneto, according to Bloomberg.
    The Lombardy region has 39 coronavirus cases with another 12 cases in the Veneto, regional officials said in a press conference Saturday in Milan. Most of the cases are in the Codogno area, 60 kilometers (37 miles) from Milan. A woman who was found dead in her home subsequently tested positive, the health secretary said. Earlier, three tourists in Rome were diagnosed with the virus.

I only know the social structures of Canada, USA.
    Therefore, here is what I expect will happen with the coronavirus.

When we get a cold, flue, we go to work, or shopping, or socializing, with a sniffles and with a cough.
    We might take non prescription cough medicine.
    When we get a fever and feel lousy, we stay home.
    When we cough up too much phlegm and we have a fever we find a walk in clinic and if we are lucky we go to our doctor to get help.
    However, if you cannot afford a doctor visit, which is most of the USA, then you stay in your apt, take an aspirin, and hope to get better.

Seniors who have no money, do not live in a care home. Senior, with no money, who have no relatives that visit, and have with no friends who are not sick to visit, will die, alone, at home.
    Seniors that have Caregivers that do home visit will be getting the flu from their caregivers.

Everyone can do their own projection. I’m sure, your scenarios could be worst than mine.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

The CDC is still sticking with the 14-day incubation period and quarantine. From the transcript of yesterday’s press conference:

Yesterday, nearly all of the remaining people who returned from Wuhan, China, via state department chartered flights, who have been quarantined at four department of defense installations across the U.S. have completed their 14-day quarantine. We are truly thankful to those released from quarantine for their cooperation and patience and wish them well as they return to home, work, and school. I want to be clear that someone who has been released from quarantine is not at risk for spreading the virus to others. Specifically, they are not infected.

…what we would consider the incubation period, which we know to be 10 to 14 days.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0221-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Meanwhile, Coronavirus incubation could be as long as 27 days, Chinese provincial government says.

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – A 70-year-old man in China’s Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus’ incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-incubation/coronavirus-incubation-could-be-as-long-as-27-days-chinese-provincial-government-says-idUSKCN20G06W

lasttwo
    Participant

zerosum

I realize many people cannot get to a farm or know how to find a farmer willing to sell direct. even under the best of circumstances It takes some work. We have been seriously poor in our lives and lived for a time on turkey eggs which the local farmers sold 6 dozen egg flats for a dollar. We are still quite frugal We almost never eat out. do not own a working cell phone, but we also have no debt. For the most part people are poor through no fault of their own but some small part of it is choice. In our current circumstance the meat is cheaper than the grocery store. Only one person needs to make a profit. We have lived rural and urban and living rural has some advantages one of which is access to better food. We are blessed. My only thought is that we have excepted the Walmart, factory farms and Amazon embraced them even.I am as guilty of this as anyone. The thing is how do we stop supporting companies and practices that we now know are damaging. The only thing I can think of is those that can should.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Three days ago, an epidemiologist published this article suggesting 21 days:

While the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates the incubation period of COVID-19 could be up to 14 days, this upper limit was actually observed for a small proportion of cases of SARS. In the context of an accelerating COVID-19 epidemic and growing uncertainty, a higher upper limit (possibly 21 days) for the incubation period seems reasonable and warranted in the interest of adequately protecting the public.

Is 14 Days Long Enough to Contain COVID-19?
    Not getting incubation period right could defeat purpose of quarantining

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/generalinfectiousdisease/84963

zerosum
    Participant

@ lasttwo

“The only thing I can think of is those that can should.”
    Where I live, I see that those than can are doing it.
    ——
    14, 21, or 27
    This virus will be around for a long time even if they find a vaccine.
    Change is in the air.

14 days, 21 days, that’s all long gone, not much use. My guess is 14 days will turn out to be maybe an average time, but certainly not a maximum one.

As I quoted 2 days ago in Go Forth and Multiply:

The government of Xinxian county, in the city of Xinyang, on Sunday reported that one of its new cases had been confirmed 34 days after the patient returned from a mid-January visit to Wuhan.

It also reported a case that was confirmed 94 days after the patient’s contact with a relative from Hubei.

And that still leaves many unknowns. For instance how long can asymptomatic cases stay infectious? What’s the timescale for reinfection? Why did the Italy deaths occur within 1-2 days of being reported? Were they timely and properly recognized? What happens in Iran? 5 deaths now.

Far as I can see all estimates of all numbers, be they cases, deaths, incubation, have been too low. It’s called politics. Defended as not unnecessarily wanting to frighten the public. But deadly.

FinalGravity
    Participant

Gravity is an imminent algorithm.

zerosum
    Participant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Influenza spreads around the world in yearly outbreaks, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths.[1][4] About 20% of unvaccinated children and 10% of unvaccinated adults are infected each year.[14] In the northern and southern parts of the world, outbreaks occur mainly in the winter, while around the equator, outbreaks may occur at any time of the year.[1] Death occurs mostly in high risk groups—the young, the old, and those with other health problems.[1] Larger outbreaks known as pandemics are less frequent.[2] In the 20th century, three influenza pandemics occurred: Spanish influenza in 1918 (17–100 million deaths), Asian influenza in 1957 (two million deaths), and Hong Kong influenza in 1968 (one million deaths).[15][16][17] The World Health Organization declared an outbreak of a new type of influenza A/H1N1 to be a pandemic in June 2009.[18] Influenza may also affect other animals, including pigs, horses, and birds.[19]

Therefore, covid-19 is looking to be worst than all previous flus.
    As the past death milestone of the previous pandemics are broken, my panic mode will get worst.

Dave Note
    Participant

“..the scariest development in the past 24 hours is that almost all patients at a psychiatric ward of a South Korean hospital tested positive for the coronavirus…” WTF?

“…of the total 443 confirmed cases in South Korea, more than half, or 231 were linked to Daegu and the Shincheonji Church of Jesus sect, while at least 111 – including four nurses – were from the psychiatric ward of the hospital in Cheongdo County.

The Korean infected numbers are doubling each day now, a true exponential curve. Chinese reporting is being exposed as the Big Lie and hoax it is and social media will spread the truth throughout China and the world. Once this Big Lie of China sinks in to the global community, China’s ‘brand’ will be ashes in the mouth and their economy will burst in the noon day sun.

So who’s the Running Dog Lackey now?

Dave Note
    Participant

Running Lackey DogRunning Lackey Dog

Dave Note
    Participant

A number of US hospitals can’t get their mask orders filled and are instituting rationing of medical supplies, like Now, to just the personnel in critical care units. Hey, the fireworks haven’t even begun and the ‘authorities are being caught flat footed.

Inspires confidence in ‘leadership’, aye?

One of The Fourth Turning’s major premises, losing basic faith in the top level of the nation.

World Leadership
    World Leadership

anticlimactic
    Participant

Russiagate, etc.

When the security services had admitted they had totally failed to prevent Russian interference, and had done nothing about it when they ‘discovered’ it, I was ‘surprised’ when the senior officers of these organisations were not sacked for incompetence!

That may change!

Dave Note
    Participant

They called it “Spanish influenza” because all the other countries at the time, except Spain, censored their news media and banned them from reporting on the growing contagion.

Spanish news reported how bad it was and how bad it was trending and got rewarded historically by having their name associated with the origin of the plague.

Maybe China wants it to be remembered as the Korean Corona outbreak.

FinalGravity
    Participant

Recursive Realism v1.2.0

1. Time is the powerset of countable events.
    2. The past is the first event.
    3. The past is the empty set full of tachyons.
    4. The future is the imaginary event.
    5. The future is the empty asset
    half full anti-tachyons and gravitons.
    6. The cause of time is relativistic mass.
    7. The cause of imaginary time is negative mass.
    8. Everything real does exist in a gravitational field
    [including itself].
    9. Nothing unreal can exist in said field.
    10. Everything unreal must exist in an electrodynamic field
    [or else].
    11. Nothing in Gravity is contingent.
    12. Belief in Gravity is always justifiable.
    13. Knowledge of anything real exists only
    in a gravitational field.
    14. Life is countable only as entropic gradient
    of said field.
    15. The fair value of life expressed as timelike geodesic
    is nontrivially nonzero.
    16. To be is to bend light.
    17. The mind is a body of gravimetric events
    containing [the idea of] the body’s mass.
    18. Gravity is a thinking thing.
    19. The will is gravitational potential [leveraged by,
    through] and for the understanding of said potential.
    20. Every geometry of hierarchy is a function of Gravity.
    21. History integrates intent [recursively].
    22. Tone precedes time; resonance recedes reality.
    23. The world is the totality of gravitons, not of tachyons.
    24. Gravity is our algorithm.

“Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.”

V. Arnold
    Participant

Far as I can see all estimates of all numbers, be they cases, deaths, incubation, have been too low. It’s called politics. Defended as not unnecessarily wanting to frighten the public. But deadly.

There you go…spot on…

sinnycool
    Participant

A trivial spreadsheet for what its worth.

I live at the other end of the universe in a ‘first world’ city in a tiny State of Australia with a population of around 540,000 people.

The illusion of prosperity papers over the fact that our state’s two major hospitals are so underfunded that our ambulances in the normal course of business are ‘ramping’ with patients unable to be admitted for hours while waiting for beds and people every now and again are dying in corridors and waiting rooms for want of treatment.

Lets suppose just one single person is currently infected in our State today and that the virus works its magic as per the South Korean experience but with really conservative figures.

Lets give R0 a value of 4 and lets say it spreads at the modest rate of R0 x 14 days, ie cases increasing at the rate of a multiplier of 4 every 14 days, then right bang in the middle of our normal flu season we have 12% of our total State population infected with coronavirus.

My nearest city has a population of 20% of the State total, bringing infections near me to 13,107

It would be helpful to see some really well thought out projection models, then again maybe not.

sinnycool
    Participant

I’m not sure the attached PNG spreadsheet clip made it so here is a jumbled text version

4 23 Feb 8 March 22 March 5 April 19 April 3 May 17 May 31 June 14 June
    Tasmania total 1 4 16 64 256 1024 4096 16384 65536
    Launceston @ 20% 0.2 0.8 3 12 51 204 819 3276 13107

sinnycool
    Participant

@ FinalGravity

I used to think along those lines but I got better. (with apologies to you, and Monty Python)

From ‘Burnt Norton’, TS Elliot

“Go, go, go said the bird, human kind cannot bear very much reality.”

Here is Elliot’s take on time which I’ve lovingly adopted

“At the still point of the turning world. Neither flesh nor fleshless;
    Neither from nor towards; at the still point, there the dance is,
    But neither arrest nor movement. And do not call it fixity,
    Where past and future are gathered. Neither movement from nor towards,
    Neither ascent nor decline. Except for the point, the still point,
    There would be no dance, and there is only the dance.”

Best regards, Phil

PS. The bard helps too

“Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
    As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
    Are melted into air, into thin air:
    And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
    The cloud-capp’d tow’rs, the gorgeous palaces,
    The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
    Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
    And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
    Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.”

or this, sung by a character named Fool

“What is love, ’tis not hereafter,
    Present mirth, hath present laughter:
    What’s to come, is still unsure.
    In delay there lies no plenty,
    Then come kiss me sweet and twenty:
    Youth’s a stuff will not endure.”

Mine sure didn’t – but I am still dancing 🙂

Dr. D
    Participant

The only death is lies, their god. Lies will save them. Or rather, save us, by buying time, arranging, hiding, investing, divesting, shorting, stocking, hiding, preparing, laughing, scheming.

The rest: “Government would never lie, they always tell the perfect truth and I believe everything they say, and — even should they ever fail, and I’m not saying they have — I would give them more power to commit more lies and more failures. And when Russian Hitler runs it all, why then I’ll give government more power and budget than ever. That’s just common sense! I print their lies, repeat their lies, believe their lies, live for their lies, deny their lies, and die for them, with a smile on my dying lips. Just as a true and willing zealot, disciple to the religion of lies, should.”

So go ahead and believe them, who have lied to you every minute of every day since the beginning, and got another 10,000 people killed. All about the origin, false, about the transmission, false, about the incubation, false, about the testing, false, about their policies and concern, false, until it comes to you and me. Which it will thanks to them, and the lie-believers, those who for a generation have done everything, hollowed everything, overlooked everything, loosed everything, to make this possible.

Another 4th generation for nothing, forgotten again, as Santayana said. Put me in the middle of it, with all the books, all the movies, all the knowledge, and learn nothing, do nothing, until all your children die, and are finally wise enough to not do it. …For a mere 70 more years.

No one’s gong to do anything. Look at them. They can’t even distinguish reality. Not even to save their lives. And so they, we, you and me, will all die for it. For their religion of the love of lies. Please stop.

VietnamVet
    Participant

It is the nature of for-profit hospitals. Medical Management will not spend the money that would adversely affect their bonuses to prepare for a pandemic when the last equivalent one engulfed the world over a century ago. The management bonus system is the same reason why Boeing is unable to design and produce a safe passenger jet.

The USA is not ready. Wherever the Wuhan Coronavirus gets established in a population, the healthcare system will be overwhelmed. A quarantine only works if the infected are isolated and are not released until they are free of the virus. From the President on down, the consequences of a pandemic are so dire from being thrown out of office to losing their rice bowls that professional managers dare not even acknowledge that the quarantine period should be extended from 14 to 21 days.

No one in power will admit that the Western Empire is in its death throes. The global economy is now dead for months if not for generations. The military shortly will hole up on their bases to remain intact like in South Korea. Shortages and being forced to work and possibly dying from the flu are sure to breed unrest. Russia seizing the White House will be the corporate media’s justification for the civil war that breaks out if the November election is postponed and the Trump Administration stays in power and continues its dismantling of the intelligence community.

The closest parallel that I experienced was the Anthrax Letters attack. It along with the Beltway Sniper were frightening but they did not shut down Washington DC. Instead they both powered the rush for the war of profit against Islam that is finally running out of steam.

zerosum
    Participant

” The military shortly will hole up on their bases to remain intact like in South Korea.”

A quarantine cannot work. The base will be surrounded by infected people. If you do not test, how can you tell if you are infected?
    If you’re not infected in the wave of this year. Then wait, next wave, next year is coming

WES
    Participant

Dr. D:. When it gets serious, governments have to lie!

For governments, every day is serious!

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:. Imagine that! Generals afraid to venture outside their castles!

WES
    Participant

Vietnamvet:. The fact is no society is prepared for the coronavirus!

Vietnam was one of the first countries to stop travel with China!

Guess the Vietnamese communist didn’t trust the Chinese communist!

They were right of course!

Russia has now closed their land borders too.

WES
    Participant

Sinnycool:. Your exponential equation applied to Wuhan should post some really big numbers!

V. Arnold
    Participant

For all practical purposes, no one alive today has ever experienced a pandemic; there is no road map to lead the way.
    Keep your powder dry; look, listen, and above all, do not panic.
    Cool heads generally prevail…

WES
    Participant

Dave Note:. Sadly Xi may yet catch up to Mao in number of total deaths.

Dr D Rich
    Participant

I suppose it’s the banks operating with World Bank, IMF impunity. I remember receiving my passport near the IMF Wash DC hdqtrs in 1985. I pointed out these monumentally arrogant shits blocking the sidewalk and not one of my fellow military medical students recognized the significance of the IMF in their lives. Here we are 35 years later.

The World Bank, the IMF, and their Iron-clad Secrecy

Arttua
    Participant

To respond to a couple of people, I am currently in Mexico, and they do not eat beans! As a mostly vegetarian, it is difficult to find meals here without meat, we mostly cook for ourselves. When we get back to Vermont we will eat 100% grass fed lamb that we raise, and slaughter on our farm (USDA is really nasty to the animals).
    I have never gotten a flu shot, and don’t recall ever getting it, but then again we will be flying home.

V. Arnold
    Participant
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.