Debt Rattle February 22 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle February 22 2021

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Thomas Abercrombie Beirut 1957   • Biden’s $1.9-Trillion Big Spend Is A Big Bet On MMT (LAT) • Cuomo Nursing Home Scandal May Rise To Federal Lev
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle February 22 2021]

Germ
    Participant
    V. Arnold
    Participant

Dr. John is MIA…
    …but I suspect he’s busier than most of us could bear…
    The horrorors coming out of Texas are legion…

zerosum
    Participant

“I get it”
    1. Andrew Cuomo didn’t tell the truth. Its normal. He’s a politician.
    2. NATO provides a crucial political cover for what would otherwise be seen as naked American imperialism.
    3. I said the same thing. The planes have been grounded gathering dust.
    Boeing said in total 69 of the planes were in service and 59 were in storage, at a time when airlines have grounded planes due to a plunge in demand associated with the coronavirus pandemic.
    ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boeing_777_operators#:~:text=The%20most%20successful%20variant%20is%20the%20777-300ER%20with,have%20been%20ordered%2C%20and%201%2C598%20have%20been%20delivered.
    List of Boeing 777 operators )

4. One more time. – NO proof of wrong doing.
    The Justice Department has asked for the resignations of all Trump-appointed U.S. attorneys, a somewhat typical move for incoming administrations. But Biden left in place the U.S. attorney in Delaware in charge of investigating the tax affairs of his son Hunter Biden.

5. We know, on TAE, we/I follow Dr. John’s recommendation
    Big Pharma to develop a magic bullet to treat Covid has led to an intensified campaign to discredit Vitamin D research.
    6. I got to say it again.
    Advertisers, with my money and your money, are making facebook rich.
    Advertisers will continue “to feed” the web because “experts advertisers” have convinced companies that they can make more profit by doing advertising on the web.
    Stopping advertising on facebook has got to be a worst/poor way of subsidizing news papers and news reporters.
    7. I have confidence that Dr. John will be able to tell us that his preparation prepared him to be lucky in all the changes that impacted him in Texas.

Maxwell Quest
    Participant

“Why Do Democrats Pretend Andrew Cuomo Did a Good Job With COVID? (Slate)”

As one writer cleverly pointed out, Cuomo’s image as the ideal leader during the Covid hysteria was a carefully run PR campaign to make Trump look bad. A Covid savior was needed to create a contrast with the Covid devil, Trump. “See, here’s what real leadership looks like! That idiot in the White House is going to get us all killed!”

I looked all over, but couldn’t find the source article in order to link to it. Maybe, someone else will remember. For all I know it may have even been on TAE.

I remember my sister, who is a New Yorker, praising Cuomo’s handling of the pandemic to high heaven while blasting Trump in the leadup to the election. Her husband is a hard-of-hearing news junky, so I know that she is bombarded continually by TV pundit propaganda. So, I bit my lip and said nothing. One has to pick their battles, and I didn’t think it was worth it at the time. We all know that the messenger is shot first.

Anyway, now that Andrew Cuomo has served his purpose, and recently become a radioactive asset, I wouldn’t be surprised if they throw him to the wolves. Such is politics.

cloudhidden
    Participant

Cat gets out of the bag…..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-vaccination-scotland-hospitalization-1.5922714

“vaccines were found to reduce the risk of hospitalization”

Apparently they are admitting that, though vaccinated, one  can still get the virus, but symptoms are not as bad. So the vaccines offer no better protection than the rejected (non profit making) alternatives that are very effective, inexpensive, readily available, and are known to have very few side effects.
    . Editors apparently approved this for publication prior to having their morning coffee. Wonder how quickly this story gets pulled?

Dr. D
    Participant

I get it!

We wear one mask for each person Andrew Cuomo killed.

And I’m sure you all today’s Day of History article where St. Fauci said “We would never shut down the economy for ebloa.” Well of course not! It’s got a higher than 99.97% death rate! In Oppositeland, the MORE deadly it is, the LESS we shut down, and vice-versa.

zerosum
    Participant

If someone borrows money then someone lend money.

Who is lending the money to the gov of USA?
    Seriously, do you believe that the loans will be paid back to someone?
    Look at ….

https://usdebtclock.org/

The interest is going up faster than anyone can earn it.
    Why bother pretending that interest is accumulating and that the loans plus interest will need to be paid back to ?????

We need a new breed of economists that can see what is happening.
    Its MMT time.

zerosum
    Participant

Nothing new. Who started the con virus?
    https://nypost.com/2021/02/21/wuhan-lab-at-heart-of-covid-outbreak-may-get-more-us-funding/
    The Wuhan Institute of Virology remains the most likely source of the coronavirus pandemic, yet it is set to receive US taxpayer dollars for the next three years. Worse, the cash will fund more animal research.

The National Institutes of Health told the Daily Caller that the Wuhan lab has an active Foreign Assurance file that authorizes it for US funding until 2024. When the virus first broke out, the Wuhan Institute had reportedly been testing coronaviruses in bats with $600,000 of US funding routed via the nonprofit EcoHealth Alliance.

If this grant goes ahead, you’ll know the Biden administration is committed to restoring Washington business-as-usual in all its disgusting ingloriousness.

zerosum
    Participant

Homework assignment

Programs

Working in the U.S. and more than 30 countries worldwide, EcoHealth Alliance’s programs are founded on innovations in research, training, global partnerships, and policy initiatives.

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:

In case you are wondering who is lending the money the US government borrows it is now mainly the Fed.
    Another large lender are “captive” US pension funds required by government laws to buy US bonds.
    Another major buyer of US bonds are Wall Street banks using them to create derivatives.

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:

Yes, it is MMT time!
    They are hoping MMT will releave them of the burden of ever having to pay back what they have borrowed!

WES
    Participant

Andrew Cuomo the same Democrat who tried to empty the New York teacher’s pension fund!

Everything his hands touches, dies!

absolute galore
    Participant

But IIRC, TAE did have a link to the Spanish study, or a story about it, with a positive spin, a week or so back. And why not study it as an active cure rather than just a prophylactic. I would think trying to set up a study proving its worth as a prophylactic would be more difficult. I don’t need a study, I’ve been taking 2000-4000 IU a day for a while. Because why not, here in winter in the Northeast.
    I think Cook makes the basic point that the “health industry” has passed the second watermark Illich talks about, and exists mainly to tend to its own existence. The Spanish study is trashed, and the Brazilian study is lauded, even though it sounds like the reverse should be true. Who knows, maybe the right form of the vitamin in super high doses can help already ill patients. It certainly doesn’t seem beyond the realm of possibility.

WES
    Participant

So now the “Muppets” are evil!

I remember when they banned the Road Runner & Coyote and Bugs Bunny as too violent! Look at how incredibly violent their replacements were!

zerosum
    Participant

WES
    There is no way that there are trillions of $ dollars waiting to be invested by the 0.01%

WES
    Participant

Nice picture of a wonderful time of peace in Beirut that no longer exists!
    Yes the contrast between the old and the new!

Brings back memories roasting lamb on an open fire in the Sahara desert!

In the late 1950s and early 1960s Beirut, Lebanon was a wonderful place.
    You could go skiing in the morning then sit on the beach in the afternoon!
    All of the Middle East banked and vacationed there.
    No more.

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:

You are 100% correct that there is nobody with the cash to buy US bonds!

If you look carefully at the 3 things I listed above, you will note that all 3 are tied directly to the US government!

1. The Fed now buys just over half of new US bonds issued by the US Treasury. They create the money out of thin air to do so, or in their more politically correct Fed speak they “monitize” the US government debt. Government spending keeps going up. It never goes down! It can never stop growing!

2. Captive US pension are required by US government regulations to maintain a certain percentage of “safe” US bonds in their portfolios. The amounts required keep rising.

3. Wall Street banks have to buy US bonds to create new derivatives. New derivative are constantly required to manipulate the markets such as keeping US interest rates low, suppress gold and silver prices, etc. This demand never stops because the amount of money keeps growing every day!

I hope you now see a pattern! It supports what you are saying! It is MMT all the way!

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:

Another way of looking at this whole business of creating money out of thin air, is to what great lengths the US government is going to, to hide the obvious from you!

John Day
    Participant

https://www.johndayblog.com/2021/02/texas-warmed-up.html

Warm Well Wishers,

Jenny and I are fine. I guess the news cycle ended Thursday, because Texas warmed up Friday, and we hit the road to Yoakum that afternoon when the roads were safe from being driven on for several hours. Our duplex in Austin did not have water when we left, or when we returned after a big Saturday workday in Yoakum, but we took showers in Yoakum. That modest town was almost unscathed, though it had not gotten the initial ice storm 2/10 – 2/11/21. One outside pipe burst, but was heard to burst Friday by the electrical work crew. That was quickly dealt with, capped off by the plumber they called, who had done a lot of work on the house last year.

Our sons Steve and Jim came down from Dallas and Ft. Worth late Friday night, and we did a lot of tree work and cleaning up of the grounds..
    Jim cut down lots of big limbs and we dut them up into firewood and brush piles laid out neatly by the street.

The avocado trees were hit really hard. I’ve never had somebody tell me their avocado tree survived 8 degrees F. We unwrapped the plastic tents we had created around them and put that neatly away in the shop.
    We will see over the next month if any of them shows signs of life sprouting out from below.

The Mexican avocado seedlings I have been growing for a little over a year got covered in ice by the initial ice storm, and stayed in it for a few days, but

we put them in the garage before the temperatures dropped down below the mid 20s, and they are doing pretty well. 6 to 8 of them are looking like we could just put them in the ground, though I did just pot them up into big pots a few weeks ago. I have ordered at least one replacement avocado tree, and will likely order another variety, and get as many other replacement varieties as I can from Texas growers.
    The roster might shift a bit. We’ll see over the next month or so.

The Texas power grid was seconds to minutes from collapse, which is estimated would have taken at least 8 days to bring back online. That sure would have been worse. A very few professionals had to act quickly and decisively. They did. They will never be thanked, I suspect.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/texas-was-seconds-and-minutes-complete-disaster

Clarity came to Texans last week. It was clear that things were much worse with power, water and gas infrastructure than people realized, and everybody was affected. It all needs major fixing which will take a long time and be expensive. It may be politically unifying, for awhile…
    ​ ​Hardship like what Texas is going through right now can bring clarity. And in the teeth of this winter storm, the entire energy industry, with its high-powered lobbyists and its billions in taxpayer subsidies, is beginning to look like every other elite institution in America: a corrupt and parasitic enterprise whose failures come at the expense of ordinary Americans—in this case, people who are now trying to stay alive in their own homes.
    https://thefederalist.com/2021/02/18/the-failure-of-the-texas-power-grid-is-worse-than-you-think/

zerosum
    Participant

“Another way of looking at this whole business of creating money out of thin air, is to what great lengths the US government is going to, to hide the obvious from you!”

Let’s get to the obvious punch line ….. there is nobody to pay back the loans/bonds, it printed money.
    Therefore, its going to be A JUBILLE.
    Borrows will never be chased by anybody to pay back the loans.
    As far as gov. pension plans monthly payment …. nothing will change …. the money that was put in from payroll deduction has been spent faster than it went in …. the printing press will continue as before.

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:
    There will be no debt jubilee because MMT will inflate the debt to zero!

Dr. D
    Participant

Well Biden certainly delivered that “Dark Winter” he’s been nattering on about. Especially to his political enemies. What? I thought every thing that happened is the President’s fault. Those are the rules. So I guess he killed all 500k people too.

I heard Texas would finally secede over it, but I find that unlikely. Part of their trouble was they are not integrated into the other state’s grids in order to secede. Very not clear-cut, and more likely they should reinforce their grid first which would take years.

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Dr. D

“Fauci said “We would never shut down the economy for ebloa.” ”

Fauci is probably right. Ebola is so virulent and fatal it doesn’t get far. Very easy to track.

^&*

There is no way to hold a jubilee. That is, imo, silly worship of those in power. There is only crash. You can’t steer a tobaggan on a nearly vertical incline. Those few wealthy bastards who create a genuinely loyal survival team may hold on to a bunch of their capital via applied defensive military force, but no one is in control of the money machine. It’s like the Midas touch: they can turn everything into money but all that does is turn valuable stuff into useless $$ denominations.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.