Debt Rattle June 13 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle June 13 2016

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

G. G. Bain Police machine gun, New York 1918 • Surging Yen Sends Nikkei Down 3.1% Amid Pan-Asia Sell-Off (CNBC) • Trading Floors Go Quiet Across Asia
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle June 13 2016]

Raleigh
    Participant

Debtor’s prisons, shades of Dickens’ Little Dorrit. Not a good sign at all. I remember Karl Denninger saying a few years ago how unfairly the people of Ferguson were being treated, and yesterday he had a piece on Oklahoma:

“Now, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol has a device that also allows them to seize money on prepaid cards.

It’s called an ERAD, or Electronic Recovery and Access to Data machine, and OHP began using 16 of them last month.

Here’s how it works. If a trooper suspects a person may have money tied to some type of crime, the highway patrol can scan and seize money from prepaid cards. OHP stresses troopers do not do this during all traffic stops, only situations where they believe there is probable cause.

“We’re gonna look for different factors in the way that you’re acting,” Oklahoma Highway Patrol Lt. John Vincent said. “We’re gonna look for if there’s a difference in your story. If there’s someway that we can prove that you’re falsifying information to us about your business.”

That’s right, if you don’t tell the trooper exactly what you’re doing (or he simply doesn’t believe you) he will drain your entire bank account and any other card he can hit with his “magic device.”

That’s called armed robbery, I remind you, seeing as he has a gun and is prepared to use it.”

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231427

Raleigh
    Participant

Had a good article on how private prisons keep their prisoners in jail/prison for longer than public ones, but I can’t find it at the moment. You can always trump up something a prisoner has done wrong when it means you will pocket more money if he spends more time in jail.

Private for-profit prisons are making a lot of money.

“In Arizona, three private prisons are operating with a 100 percent occupancy guarantee, according to Mother Jones. There’s even a lockup quota at the federal level: The Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s detention budget includes a mandate from Congress that at least 34,000 immigrants remain detained on a daily basis, a quota that has steadily grown each year, even as the undocumented immigrant population in the United States has leveled off.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/04/28/how-for-profit-prisons-have-become-the-biggest-lobby-no-one-is-talking-about/

https://news.vice.com/article/how-private-prisons-are-profiting-from-locking-up-us-immigrants

This is one industry that probably loves when illegals cross the border, more product for their prisons. And several times I’ve read how the prisons are actually being used by corporations as a source of cheap labor. I couldn’t believe the brand-name corporations who were using the prison populations to manufacture stuff.

So the American taxpayers pay to house these prisoners (so that the private prison system gets rich) and corporations get rich by hiring prisoners for next to nothing. Hey, another win-win situation. Privatize the profits, socialize the losses. What a formula!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.