Debt Rattle June 21 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle June 21 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Vincent van Gogh Avenue of Poplars at Sunset 1884   • Short-Sellers Sense An Opportunity As China Trade Tensions Brew (R.) • The Greatest Short-S
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle June 21 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

I’ve Got Some Things to Say (Romelu Lukaku)
    Quite an article; what a great story of his life…

Dr. D
    Participant

Sadly, the shorts are the buyers on the dips. If you knock them out, you create a market vacuum. It’s nearly a requirement for a drop, and a basic reason for blowoff tops.

Nice of France and Germany to offer Greece and Italy to pay for all the migrants. Really showing us how it’s done. I’m sure that won’t backfire or anything.

Hey, shouldn’t we give Trump a peace prize too? Not for Korea of course, but because apparently we give them out for breaking records on (illegal) bombing. The media thinks so. They were never more angry then during the peace or happier than when he Tomahawk’ed Syria.

“I think Donald Trump became President of the United States” last night” –Fareed Zakaria, CNN

“We see these beautiful pictures at night from the decks of these two Navy vessels …I am guided by the beauty of our weapons…And they are beautiful pictures of fearsome armaments…” –Brian Williams, NBC (Live from the Moon Landing, as usual)

Nassim
    Participant

Many parts of Australia are having an unusually cold winter – and the MSM is in denial.

In the low hills nearby, there has been frost – at 20 degrees from the equator.

Far North Queensland cold weather wipes out half of Tablelands tea plantation

3000km (2000 miles) away in Melbourne, it is the coldest start to winter in 36 years.

Melbourne shivers through coldest start to winter in 36 years, Bureau of Meteorology says

Australia hit with extreme cold front as snow hits and people are warned of dangerous conditions

SYDNEY is coping the worst of the freezing weather lashing towns and cities along Australia’s east — and the bad news is it’s going to get even colder.

I suspect the Northern Hemisphere is going to get a winter to remember in due course. It all ties in with solar inactivity – as does volcanic activity BTW.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Vincent van Gogh Avenue of Poplars at Sunset 1884

This is one of the few times I didn’t identify the painting as a van Gogh.
    Quite a departure from his usual style, yes?

zerosum
    Participant

Cry me a river

Trump’s military dropped 44,000 bombs in his first year in office. He has basically taken the gloves off the Pentagon, taken the leash off an already rabid dog.

OR

Put illegal immigrants in jail.
    Separate the children from the adults.
    Put children in jail

V. Arnold
    Participant

U.S. citizens are no longer recognizable; who are they really…?
    U.S. values is a meaningless statement…
    The U.S. constitution is merely a piece of meaningless parchment, worth no more than the hollow words thus written/spoke…
    Ideals join the trashbin of history; worth nothing without a people willing to stand up for those values; with their lives.
    Nothing the U.S. has offered has been worth my life…

regionswork
    Participant

Thank you for “I’ve Got Some Things to Say” – by Romelu Lukaku. An inspirational story I wouldn’t have seen otherwise. Divine disorder manages to give us evolutionary progress so humanity can continue to survive its failures of intelligence.

That prose (see yesterday’s thread) is Linton Kwesi Johnson, V. Arnold.

Also: there is still work going on on the site. Looks weird there on top, but I’m sure it’s harmless.

It’s where mobile and desktop come together when they should’t.

Dr. D
    Participant

Many don’t realize the impression of VanGogh was an answer to Japanisme, the opening of that nation at that time to the influences of Hiroshige, block printing, etc.

It’s unusually hard to find an appropriate page, but:
    https://www.npa2009.org/content/expositions-van-gogh-japon-humour-et-%C2%AB%E2%80%89art-nouveau%E2%80%89%C2%BB

Compare - Fr

Maggie Bryan ’15 Explores Cultural Crossover Behind French Impressionism

Bowdoin

The painting he’s famous for, (not so much above) is the calligraphic brushstrokes learned as a lettering vocabulary in Asia, and extended entirely to painting, both there and with him. This was likewise done in the West with ink pens, now long forgotten.

Spencer

olo530
    Participant

I’ve Got Some Things to Say (Romelu Lukaku)

Great example of celebrated individualism. Now everyone who grew up poor and hungry has only themselves to blame for not becoming rich and successful.

Nassim
    Participant

“This was likewise done in the West with ink pens, now long forgotten.”

So true. I had an English school friend 55 years ago who spent all his spare time perfecting his Gothic Script. He would write something in a circular spiral or a square spiral and the last word would be in the very centre.

He was born in Hong Kong and lived there for his first 12 years. Recently, I found him of LinkedIn and he was chairman of the Kent County Cricket Club. I am sure neither his kids or grandkids have any idea as to how to hold a pen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rowe

Happily, in Iran, they still appreciate these skills and calligraphy there never died out. Here are some nice examples:

https://www.pinterest.com.au/heirmand/iranian-calligraphy/

The very first one – blue top left – is the word “Love” (Ishq) in large with a multitude of little “Loves” below. Amazing penmanship.

vlad
    Participant

HI Nassim,

I know you were away for a bit, so may have forgotten that the eastern seaboard of Australia almost invariably gets hit with a big cold front in June. It’s why people book their ski holidays then. Just for the record, all Australian state capitals except Sydney (Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth Adelaide and Hobart) are currently at about half to three-quarters of a degree Celsius above their mean top temperatures for June. Sydney is right on the average. Anyway, thanks for sparing us the photographs of snowpersons this time!

Cheers,

Vlad

V. Arnold
    Participant

Dr. D
    Very interesting, thank you.

Ilargi
    Thanks, never heard of Linton Kwesi Johnson before.

V. Arnold
    Participant

I looked up Linton Kwesi Johnson. Explains a lot about his poetry and Inglan is a bitch…
    Thanks for that Ilargi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.