Debt Rattle March 23 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 23 2020

• This topic has 34 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Dr. D.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Harris&Ewing House-Capitol tunnel (may get moving walk), Washington, DC 1939   • How Long to 1 Million US Cases? (Mish) • Nobel Laureate Pred
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 23 2020]

boscohorowitz
    Participant

AFter letting current events and minor challenges interfere, the book demands my attention again, so I will resume radio silence for awhile except if I come across exceptionally noteworthy data. The last we saw our anti-hero, he was seguing away from external reality into the fields of fiction, walking through a pixellated portal, closing it behind him like a door on which we read:

Ken has taken up prayer. Being chronically awake at 3am can do that to a person.

“O lord, how foolish we are. Yet beautiful in our way. And your world! This tiny orb, your little bauble, polished stone under the glass of a fragile atmosphere. It horrifies me yet entrances. We’re supposed to be something, right? Not just confused dolts running amok, right?”

zerosum
    Participant

COVID-19 cost in USA
    How to push the curve down farther so that the health system doesn’t crash.
    MMT will not save the blue collar workers.
    MMT without cost control will kill the elites.

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/
    Total Cost of Her COVID-19 Treatment: $34,927.43
    BY ABIGAIL ABRAMS
    MARCH 19, 2020
    A new analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that the average cost of COVID-19 treatment for someone with employer insurance—and without complications—would be about $9,763. Someone whose treatment has complications may see bills about double that: $20,292. (The researchers came up with those numbers by examining average costs of hospital admissions for people with pneumonia.)

For Danni Askini’s first trip to the hospital in Boston on Feb. 29, for example, she was charged $1,804 for her emergency room visit and another $3,841.07 for “hospital services.”
    ——
    A Better Place to live than USA????

https://time.com/5808071/coronavirus-gaza-syria/
    Coronavirus Has Been Reported in the Gaza Strip and War-Torn Syria

BY FARES AKRAM, ALBERT AJI AND JOSEPH KRAUSS / AP MARCH 22, 2020

An outbreak could wreak havoc on the Palestinian territory, which is home to over 2 million people, many living in cramped cities and refugee camps.

In Syria, where the civil war is grinding on through its 10th year, Health Minister Nizar Yazigi announced the first confirmed coronavirus case Sunday. The 20-year-old woman came to Syria from a country that has an outbreak of the virus, but Yazigi did not specify which country.
    ———-
    MMTVIRUS
    • Coronavirus Reveals Financial Irresponsibility Of Americans (Hill)
    Only 40 percent of Americans can afford an unexpected $1,000 expense with their savings. In fact, nearly 80 percent of workers are living paycheck to paycheck.
    ——-
    Major changes are coming.
    • New Zealand To Go Into Month-Long Lockdown (G.)
    This is not China.
    I don’t believe that they can maintain a lockdow for a month.

Dr D Rich
    Participant

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted. Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world. While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don’t support such a dire scenario

Ha ha ha! I nominate Dr. D to be re-awarded Stanford biophysicist Michael Levitt’s Nobel Prize.

To paraphrase our friend and local sage Dr. D, “The numbers just don’t add up.”

boilingfrog
    Participant

The behavior of financiers and corporate executives have proven they can’t be trusted.

President Trump, with respect to the huge corporate tax breaks said, “We thought they would do the right thing (productively invest) and they didn’t (buybacks instead)”

So, the rush to give them trillions seems, well, idiotic. So, of course, that’s what we’ll certainly do.

And yes, China WILL use their leverage in this situation, it’s called “The Art Of The Deal”. People act surprised, but TAOTD is not a “win-win” approach.

zerosum
    Participant

Point of no return 9:45 am 3/23/2020

USA MMT Trillion $ moment

Jubilee moment for the elite borrowers

After 10 years of borrowing, lalaland is coming for the connected

Bank lenders will be “tickled pink”

Dr D Rich
    Participant

The world is certainly changing fast. I never thought I would see the day that IL76 Russian aerospace transport planes would land in Western Europe. Nine of them did precisely that in the last 24 hours, landing in a very grateful Italy with loads of medical supplies and personnel from Russia.

This will not be forgotten: China, Russia and Cuba send much-needed aid to Europe and Africa

John Day
    Participant

Radio Silence for Bosco:

boscohorowitz
    Participant

🙂

boilingfrog
    Participant

(With tongue firmly in cheek?) Governments at every level no longer need our pittance in taxes, they have the Fed to buy up all the Muni bonds they want to “auction”. Good on them!

Wow, not even a teaspoon of medicine.

zerosum
    Participant

DELAYED

Point of no return 9:45 am 3/23/2020

@ boilingfrog

Yes. Gov. need our taxes, and fees
    Not for the money but for the control of the rifaf

John Day
    Participant

http://www.johndayblog.com/2020/03/up-close-and-personal.html
    A respiratory Therapist describes managing novel coronavirus pneumonia:
    ​ ​“It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy shit, this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube and out of his mouth. The ventilator should have been doing the work of breathing but he was still gasping for air, moving his mouth, moving his body, struggling. We had to restrain him. With all the coronavirus patients, we’ve had to restrain them. They really hyperventilate, really struggle to breathe. When you’re in that mindstate of struggling to breathe and delirious with fever, you don’t know when someone is trying to help you, so you’ll try to rip the breathing tube out because you feel it is choking you, but you are drowning.
    ​ ​“When someone has an infection, I’m used to seeing the normal colors you’d associate with it: greens and yellows. The coronavirus patients with ARDS have been having a lot of secretions that are actually pink because they’re filled with blood cells that are leaking into their airways. They are essentially drowning in their own blood and fluids because their lungs are so full. So we’re constantly having to suction out the secretions every time we go into their rooms.”
    https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes–terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

​Here is a fit 39 year old woman in an English hospital who can still speak, and thoughtfully encourages distancing precautions be taken seriously: “It’s like having glass in your lungs”. Thank You, Tara.
    ​https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-woman-hospital-warns-people-who-doubt-will-affect-them-2020-3?utm_campaign=sf-insider-main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3q99rsPXxsnQlvxbelN3IgqtQznyTJzXZaf8zLGRlNWYZ06fjFI6RjMHA
    Do social distancing. Wash hands with soap before you snack. Don’t touch public touch-things.
    Don’t let virus jump hosts.
    Take 5000 units vitamin D daily, unless you have not taken any before.
    Take 10,000 units per day until June if it is new to you. ​
    Eat fresh vegetables. Do things outside in open spaces.
    The best course is to avoid exposure until there are plenty of tests and treatment is easy to get early in the course, before you are bucking a ventilator in the ICU.
    Scroll down in the blog to see treatments, available and prospective.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Listening to this as I wrote, I realized how poetically perfect a prophetic song this was and dropped in to share it:

An Olde English Dream

After all, America is really just a continuation of Rule Britannia under another name.

pokerface
    Participant

I don’t think flattening the curve/social distancing that we seem to be doing everywhere is the best strategy. I have been thinking about it for a while, and I don’t think I hear anyone talking about any realistic strategy. I do have a simple and bold idea, which I would like to share below.

First, let us say we keep doing social distancing for 2-3 months until things are under control. Then what? Don’t tell me that we will be able to entirely get rid of the virus then. At this point, most reasonable people already accepted that it just won’t happen. We also cannot go back to ‘normal’ because the minute we do that, the cases will go back up, and then we go back to all these social distancing controls for another 2-3 months. Basically, we will go through this cycle of getting in and out of social distancing every few months until we get the vaccine or herd immunity, either of which is going to take at least a year. You can argue that when we get out of the first social distancing, we can ‘carefully’ go back to our ‘slightly modified’ normal way of life such as no hand shaking and all sport events taking place inside closed doors (if you can call that normal). Does anyone really have any answer how much we need to modify our behavior such that the infected cases do not rise out of control and overwhelm our hospitals again? Also, all countries have to precisely synchronize their social distancing periods because if some countries are out of phase, then we will need to completely block the borders of those countries. Just see what China, HK, Singapore are doing now. I hope you all see what a challenge it is to keep all these things right. With the incompetence displayed so far by our leaders and the way this virus works, I wouldn’t bet on that we will be able to control the virus with the current social distancing strategy. Basically, the current social distancing strategy will surely disrupt our lives for extended periods of time.

I have seen a few countries (UK, Nertherlands?) have thought about trying to get herd immunity quickly and get it over with. But when they realized it would quickly overwhelm their hospitals, they changed their path and followed the social distancing/city lockdowns (a bit too late and at the expense of numerous lives). Also, let us say some countries managed to achieve herd immunity. Then what? As long as there are still counties without herd immunity, those vulnerable countries will have to strictly control their borders (Again, just see what China, HK, Singapore are doing now), and for how long? The only things that our leaders could think of is printing money for businesses and people and wait out until there is a vaccine.

Here is what I think we need to do. We have to mobilize/organize people and resources at the WWII scale. During the green new deal under FDR, the government hired people at a massive scale to clean up federal lands and so on. We need to do something bold like this, but at a global scale because all countries need to work together to get this virus under control. It is quite clear that millions of people who work in restaurants, travel/tourism industries and many others are now losing their jobs. We also know that the hospitals are massively short of people and resources. The governments should hire/recruit all these millions of people, train them to take care of coronavirus patients, build hospitals, make ventilators and other PPEs. It isn’t not going to be easy, and we need great leaders to organize things such a large scale. So far, I haven’t see any such leader. We have a lot of experts. Now, we need some leaders to organize all these experts and millions of newly unemployed people to solve this problem. So, here it is, my simple and bold idea. I definitely think it is better than printing and giving trillions of dollars to corporations and every single person.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

With the coronavirus getting so much attention, I missed this news. Earlier this year, the US reversed its ban on landmines. (Meanwhile, 164 countries, including all other NATO members, adhere to the Mine Ban Treaty.)

But don’t worry, the new ones are “smart” landmines.

A January 31, 2020 memo by Defense Secretary Mark Esper reverses a 2014 ban on US production and acquisition of antipersonnel landmines, as well as their use outside of a future conflict on the Korean Peninsula. The policy decision nullifies years of steps by the US to align its policy and practice with the 1997 treaty banning antipersonnel landmines…

The Mine Ban Treaty, which entered into force on March 1, 1999, comprehensively prohibits antipersonnel mines and requires their clearance, destruction of stockpiles, and assistance to mine victims. A total of 164 countries have joined the Mine Ban Treaty, including all other NATO members and the US allies Australia and Japan. The US participated in the 1996-1997 Ottawa Process to negotiate the treaty, but never adopted or signed it.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/02/27/us-revisit-landmines-decision

Modern land mine designs include a deactivation mechanism, which is supposed to kick in after a period of time, between, say, 12 hours and 60 days. The minefields are also “smart,” in that they can “talk to each other and be command-activated, and link into other sensors so that they know when enemy formations are coming”…

But reducing the threat does not mean eliminating it, notes a U.S. Campaign to Ban Landmines statement released last week by 63 nongovernmental organizations that came together to condemn the policy. “If the self-destruct or self-deactivation mechanisms were to fail, they would remain lethal, and the potential exists for the components to be repurposed into improvised explosive devices…”

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2020/0225/Land-mines-are-back.-Why-the-U.S.-wants-them-in-its-arsenal-again

zerosum
    Participant

Point of no return DELAYED AGAIN

Larry K. is bull shitting again on TV
    “Its going to be weeks and months”

Arttua
    Participant

“Northern plains of Italy, is a region stuck between two mountain chains, the Appennini and the Alps, blocking winds coming from the North. The result is that air stagnates and pollution accumulates, creating what’s probably the most polluted area in Western Europe. Considering that also Wuhan, the other center of the coronavirus epidemic, is located in a highly polluted area, central China, it makes sense to think that the infection does more damage to the already weakened lungs of people affected by pollution. Indeed, I had already noted how epidemics tend to strike mostly populations already weakened by other factors, typically famines and wars — pollution is just another factor that has the same effect. According to the data, it may also be that the virus is carried by flying microparticles and that makes the infection spread faster.”
    https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/2020/03/italy-virus-hits-polluted-areas-is.html

Arttua
    Participant

“Lost sense of smell may be peculiar clue to coronavirus infection”
    “A mother who was infected with the coronavirus couldn’t smell her baby’s full diaper. Cooks who can usually name every spice in a restaurant dish can’t smell curry or garlic, and food tastes bland. Others say they can’t pick up the sweet scent of shampoo or the foul odor of kitty litter.

Anosmia, the loss of sense of smell, and ageusia, an accompanying diminished sense of taste, have emerged as peculiar telltale signs of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and possible markers of infection.”
    https://www.boston.com/news/health/2020/03/23/coronavirus-sense-of-smell

Whither grace in the curving world
    And gifts without encumbrance?
    What is the path to a mind at peace
    And love without remembrance?

Russia:Italy. Things go ’round and ’round.

boscohorowitz
    Participant
    zerosum
    Participant

Trillions of dollars into the Coronavirus economy, is hiding everything that were past their limits. In a year, or two, all this will be forgotten.
    What we see here, at TAE, is not visible to the ostrich.

zerosum
    Participant

Covid – 19 Jubilee

Historically, Jubilee forgives the debts of the poor every 7 years and every 49 (7×7) years, there is restoration of property to its rightful owners.

Modern Jubilee, take advantage of the virus, forgives the debt of the elites and restore the property to the lenders.
    Reset to continue operations.

Okay, readers, go ahead, correct my opinion.

seychelles
    Participant

On March 22, a Texas state edict was distributed to all pharmacies mandating that no prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin would be honored without an accompanying covid19 diagnosis code verifying that the recipient had an active case of Wuhan virus.

Seychelles: so what are the people with Lupus doing? A caller on C-span already had been told there wasn’t any for her; then there was but it would be really expensive; then they found her a two-month supply at a slightly elevated price.
    Maybe no one in Texas has Lupus.
    Edicts. Geez.

WES
    Participant

John Day:

Earlier today I saw an article where a doctor, Alain Gauthier, somehow managed to connect 9 patients to one ventilator machine since his hospital only had 1 or 2 machines.

Thought you might be interested in this. I would put link but don’t know how, so here is address.

Interesting engineering.com/Canadian-doctor-rigs-ventilator-to-treat-nine-patieents-instead-of-just-one

I also saw where two patients were connected to one ventilator but the catch was they had to be about the same size and use the same amount of air.

WES
    Participant

Bosco:. Glad to hear your wife will be working from home? or at least at home. A bit safer.

My son and daughter are both at home.

Daughter has been home from university for nearly 10 days now. Yesterday she had to go downtown Toronto to remove all her stuff from her student residence since it will close today. She said there are still too many stupid idiots wandering around in Toronto. Last night Trudope finally said enough is enough. Nobody will listen!

My son has been home since last Thursday. He services GE wind turbines so is on call if one goes down.

Today my brother in Detroit called to let me know Michigan is in lockdown now. He has been working from home from GM for about 10 days already. He gets to crash test cars for a living! It is the paperwork afterwards that is the real killer!

Today both Quebec and Ontario are shutting down all unessential businesses just like Michigan. Before they were just asking. Now they are telling!

Quebec is now even arresting quarantine violators! Just like their cousins in France needing a note to be about! Short Gaulic tempers!

Interesting piece of history re-Quebec. The english word “bigot” comes courtesy of a certain selfish French governor called Mr. Bigot! He is responsible for the fall of Quebec City to the British. He wouldn’t give the French general the use of local militia, so the French general faced the British with only French troops! Both generals died!

Naturally Mr. Bigot lived to go back to France rich! No justice back then either!

seychelles
    Participant

my parents said know….good question. Chloroquine is also an anti-malarial drug. I had self-prescribed these medications after reading I think John Day’s comments about them on this site. I pay $1200 a year to keep my old license active so I can occasionally self-prescribe, like many of my retired colleagues. I phoned in the Rx…a double dose… to Walmart on Friday and was told they were ready to pick up on Saturday but waited until the end of the day Sunday to pick up thinking there might be a short line at that time. My copay on a Medicare Part D policy with Humana would have been 48.00 for the hydroxychloroquine and 4.00 for the azithromycin. I think that these medications will be centrally hoarded for use by “the people who count.” Much of what we take for granted will simply go “poof.”

WES
    Participant

Seychelles:. Yes, keeping your license active, can come in very handy!

When my Father was dying of leukemia, he was struggling with constant nasal infections.

His older brother was a retired doctor, who kept his license too, so he could help out in his son’s practice, so he proscribed sulfa meds, so my Father could at least sleep at night.

I don’t believe a practicing doctor would normally proscribed sulfa for such long term use (years).

P.S. My cousin said the problem with his Father helping out, especially when on vacation, was his Father would spoil all his patients by taking extra time to chat up all the patients, which of course they loved! My uncle was a people person plus retired, not trying to make a living!

Then when my cousin came back he had to get them back on the regular bang, bang, schedule! They would all say, but your Father never rushed!

John Day
    Participant

Seychelles: I think Texas just requires that hydroxychloroqine and azithromycin Rxs have an appropriate diagnosis added to the Rx. “Bronchitis” works for azithromycin, for instance.

Arttua: Thank you for the anosmia screening question. I will use it.

WES: The problem is that no two people need the identicl settings on a vent, and my reading is that when coronavirus patients go bad, it’s fast and they suddenly need very high pressure settings on their ventilator. https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes–terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

oxymoron
    Participant

Zerosum, I reckon you are spot on re the reset to elites etc.

oxymoron
    Participant

Also, what is with the universal use of the term Social Distancing – it’s very Orwellian. It is technically and unambiguously Phisical Distancing I mean we are socialising here on our computers. Are they just mentally priming us for actually being distanced socially or has that already been happening for ages. Everyone always has in the back of their minds to not say anything tooo subversive or for instance refer to it as The Wuhan Virus. If we are going to be so accurate so as to jump from Wuhan virus, to Corona Virus to COVID-19 then come on a little consistency govt’s and media please

zerosum
    Participant

@ oxymoron

I’m glad that you are also noticing that the virus is hiding a jubilee for the connected elites.

WES

This is how I find out people don’t actually read Debt Rattles -not a good idea, if you ask me. The ventilator story is right up there, photo and all, and you say you can’t find a link. Okay, it’s funny too.

oxymoron
    Participant

Raul, I reckon WES probably does read it but right now we are in info overload – sources coming from everywhere. And some of us have a lot more time on their hands right now too.

Dr. D
    Participant

2020 – 49 = 1971

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.