Debt Rattle March 31 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 31 2016

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DPC Station at foot of incline, American Falls, Niagara Falls 1890 • Americans Are Spending Again – But With Less Income (WSJ) • Britain Sacrifices St
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 31 2016]

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

Did I miss something, or did I recently read that the U.S. Naval Station in San Francisco measured zero inches of sea level rise in 100 years? I know the theory of ice sheets suggests the mechanism of a tipping point, but how much fear are we expected to internalize on the basis of no data change whatsoever?

Ken Barrows
    Participant

Dr. D, I think you know you’re cherry picking on that one.
    Something to counter: https://www.skepticalscience.com/sea-level-rise-predictions-basic.html

But I know that I cannot convince you that putting more and more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere is a splendid idea.

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

In the link we have a 10cm rise over 50 years. That’s enough water to cover my shoes. Again, I know this is a potential pivot point event, but at that rate you could absorb 1cm/yr for 1,000 years without trouble. …Clearly, over the timespan of 1,000 years, the cities would adjust and move back modestly from the coast. 1,000 years ago, London barely existed. 1,000 years from now it may not, or we may be in Alpha Centuri.

Are we saying human cities would cease to exist with a 1-3 foot rise? We have a whole century to respond. If so, they’re already too close to the ocean–something that’s commented on with each hurricane: why do people build houses on the coast or in a flood plain and then act surprised when something bad and expensive happens, then have taxpayers pay for it all? Are they/we stupid? So if a beach house goes down on the Outer Banks, is it the weather’s fault? For 300 years humans recognized it was a bad idea. The cities weren’t built on the coasts in the first place because it was just as unwise back then. Now we lay a pallet of money on the shore with no rubber bands and shake our fists at the sky.

In any case, let’s assume you’re correct. What are the costs of altering construction in the exposed neighborhoods of coastal cities vs the costs of halting energy use or mitigating carbon worldwide? How many people die from making energy expensive? How many die from decades in the resulting difficult/transitional economy? Not sure any of us can say, but it’s not cost-free. Either will be very, very expensive, in lives and treasure. It’s false assumption to say one way lies destruction and the other salvation.

In any case, I think you mean to say that I believe burning all the carbon is a good idea, and I won’t be convinced otherwise, which is not true. While I’m not convinced of a science that is caught fabricating research constantly and egregiously for profit (and not just in Global Warming), we waste almost all the oil and most of the carbon doing really dumb, unnecessary things that are not conducive to human life or happiness, but to power and control. Just because there was no AGW would not be a good reason to waste valuable resources, cause environmental destruction, and hyper-consolidate economic and military power through its extraction and distribution. It’s not either this, then that. Think like an engineer, solutions-based. What are the goals? What are the costs and consequences?

Raleigh
    Participant

“International law no longer has any meaning.” Or any law, for that matter. They will do what they want. Laws don’t get passed unless there is a huge benefit to the establishment, or if they’re trying to prevent their own demise. Whenever I hear about a new law being passed, I now stop and think: why would they be doing this? Who is going to benefit? The passing of new laws, throwing out or ignoring old laws, laws made retroactive (when convenient) – all in a day’s work.

Politicians and sociopaths/psychopaths – the profession seems to select for them. Smooth Obama, well spoken, well dressed, calm, reassuring, came out of nowhere, right color, he lands in the White House. I even had high hopes, but I started watching his body language and I started to see what I thought were narcissistic characteristics. He even accepted the friggin’ Nobel Peace Prize. If I had been him, I would have been totally embarrassed and handed it back. But not Obama. Held held high, he would have felt he deserved it!

The following article describes the differences between sociopaths and psychopaths. I don’t know whether they’re correct, but, if they are, very few politicians would fit into the sociopath category.

“Sociopaths tend to be nervous and easily agitated. They are volatile and prone to emotional outbursts, including fits of rage. They are likely to be uneducated and live on the fringes of society, unable to hold down a steady job or stay in one place for very long. […]

Psychopaths are very manipulative and can easily gain people’s trust. They learn to mimic emotions, despite their inability to actually feel them, and will appear normal to unsuspecting people. Psychopaths are often well educated and hold steady jobs. Some are so good at manipulation and mimicry that they have families and other long-term relationships without those around them ever suspecting their true nature.
    When committing crimes, psychopaths carefully plan out every detail in advance and often have contingency plans in place. Unlike their sociopathic counterparts, psychopathic criminals are cool, calm, and meticulous. Their crimes, whether violent or non-violent, will be highly organized and generally offer few clues for authorities to pursue.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

Nassim
    Participant

“Banks will be robots. Is that a good thing?”

I am not sure that is the way things will turn out. I suspect that locals still know best who is probably a good borrower and who is not. All these credit scores are based on faulty data as there is a “black economy” out there.

Personally, I hope to have a way to help people swap foreign currencies – face-to-face – ready in a couple of months. I will only charge for checking references/credentials.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.