Debt Rattle March 7 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 7 2020

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

John Vachon Trucks loaded with mattresses at San Angelo, Texas Nov 1939   • How America Can Beat COVID-19 (Galbraith) • Don’t Test, Don’t Tell: T
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 7 2020]

V. Arnold
    Participant

John Vachon Trucks loaded with mattresses at San Angelo, Texas Nov 1939

Mattresses! A scam, as American as apple pie; over priced, poorly made, and sold to the hilt as the American dream…literally…
    Long ago I discovered the futon; honest, well constructed (for centuries), and heaven on earth for sleeping really well…and cheap by comparrison…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Mattresses! A scam, as American as apple pie; over priced, poorly made, and sold to the hilt as the American dream…literally…

For those historically challenged: Sealy Posturepedic; Simmons; and brands and names long forgotten…
    Just one in a litany of lies…

V. Arnold
    Participant

An odd couple for many. But Tucker, other than RT, is the only one talking to Roger Waters.

Yes, how about that?
    People just don’t get it!!!!!
    Assange is the marker/place holder, for the total loss of freedom of the press!!!!
    You, me, and every man jack one of us is responsible!!!!
    Shame, shame, shame,……….
    …with death to follow!!!

Dr. D
    Participant

“Death will follow.” Yes, we won’t just walk away from this.

“This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career.”

Wow, this guy lacks both imagination AND knowledge. Ebola? Smallpox? So far the ordinary flu? Nice way to say “DON’T PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!” “PANIC!!!!!!!!! DON’T, I MEAN. It’s almost certainly the end of human life on earth, but, Stay tuned, keep obeying my every word and don’t buy masks or stay home or anything.”

Uh-huh. Very helpful. IF you want to crash the world economy, kill millions from THAT instead, and start a world war that then kills Billions. Aside from that, very irresponsible. Type II diabetes kills more people, and will. No one cares. California was filled with 3rd world diseases, many that were transmissible pandemics. No one cared. Now with 11 it’s a state of emergency? Yes, Docktor, 11 is now ermigerwdweallgonnadie! That’s 2 hours in NYC, ONE city of thousands in the U.S.

“US banned the sale of rubber tires”

Wow, such genius. So farmers can’t get tractors into the field and miners can’t get ore from the mines. Genius! We’re winning now! Central Planning forever! It’s a PR stunt, meant to make people care. What ever has happened in life that you do not assume every time they say anything, it’s a lie meant to manipulate you? And that was just after they solved hunger in the Depression by dumping milk and plowing under crops. Our hero! Man of the people!

Not Enough Face Masks Are Made in America to Deal With Coronavirus (NPR)”

It’s almost like shipping all production overseas in service of globalization is a national security nightmare that would end national sovereignty. Ain’t that right, NPR? Wait, weren’t YOU telling us we were dangerous backward idiots who needed to “learn to code” in re-education camps while defending Clinton, Bush, Obama and their ruthless murdering Globalism of the working class for the last 40 years? And that’s why Trump won? Nope. Not anymore. We have always been at war with Estasia. Just ask us.

“Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to say the coronavirus poses an imminent threat”

As above, how times change. Only last week, we were super-dumb anti-science because we said it WAS real and WAS a threat. Now it’s not a big enough threat. It’s almost like they only act emotionally and run around with their hair on fire. So… Reuters, anything on how the Republicans DID think it was real MONTHS ahead of the media, and STILL think it’s real, but the Republic probably won’t collapse over it? Nope. It’s a million degrees or negative zero. You’re an idiot when you say yes, and an idiot when you say no. Conservatives are always, always idiots. Like when Trump quotes some NYT news article, then they immediately come out and say it used to be true, but now that HE said it, it’s totally dumb and NOT true. At least monthly. Hair on fire. If you follow chickens running randomly around the barnyard squawking, you’re going to get killed. That’s the only thing they know how to do: everyone NOT running around randomly in #AntiLogos is the mortal enemy. Pick a side.

Romney To Vote For Subpoena Seeking Hunter Biden Ukraine Records (Pol.)”

Ah, the revolutionary act of acting questions. Ordinary, normal ones they’re after me for every day (Tax season). And if he’s innocent, won’t they find nothing? That’s what they tell me when they tap my phone, mail, car, TV, and accounts. But No! We cannot ask questions! All facts are the #Enemy.

“If they had been American, they’d be labeled heroes.”

Quite true. Because CNN/The Guardian: “We Make S—t Up!”

Russia prohibits itself from a first strike. The US does not.”

So weird. Russians sure are tricky to install EVERY U.S. President and EVERY candidate, yet still nuke themselves without warning. Just shows how crazy * They * are. We of course, are beautiful innocent little golden-curled children who never did nothin’.

anticlimactic
    Participant

BIDEN

Apart from his questionable actions in Ukraine there are claims of dementia. I don’t understand how anyone could vote for him. He certainly seems to be damaged goods.

I did not understand why the DNC would try and get him elected when it does not seem he would be capable of being president. Then I thought perhaps that was the point! The US would be electing the VICE president as president.

A great way of making a president without all the hassle and expense of a campaign AND bypasses the nuisance of democracy!

zerosum
    Participant

MATRIX RERUN/RELOADED for the umpteen time

Don’t Test, Don’t Tell?
    There is no proof of wrong doing – Biden
    —–

21 people infected, everyone stay in your cabin. 19 infected servants will serve your meals and will not re-infect the infected two passengers.
    The USA will not allow the passengers to disembark in the USA because it will increase the infected numbers.
    Since rich people go on a cruise, therefore, they can afford to pay for the convirus testing and their lock down.
    The crew, (philippinoes) and non americans, (250 candians), will need to make sure to find way of paying before getting any service from the capitalist american system.
    —–
    SURVIVORS WILL MAKE A NEW BRAVE NEW WORLD OR ANOTHER MATRIX RELOADED
    Survivors of the convirus will be the INHERITORS of the next reload of the matrix which will happen after the decomposition of the crap on the street the the decomposition of the uncollected bodies.
    (Unless you believe, this time it will be different, the weak will inherit the world.)

The US would be electing the VICE president as president.

Yeah, the Hillary play. Except that Biden won’t be elected. He’ll be ground to pulp with just what is available on YouTube right now. His lies about his past are second to none.

Biden looks like a surefire way to get Bernie the nomination. Is that the intention? Or do we go as far as Trump?

zerosum
    Participant

———
    (Insert your favorite country)
    Inability for rapid and effective testing, in ______ as well as alleged lack of transparency especially in the early weeks of the outbreak, means we will likely see numbers explode exponentially as has already been happening over the past days.

WES
    Participant

Raul:. The DNC’s election theatre director is Hillary.

Hillary hired over 20 clowns to run for president since she lacks the stamina.

Maddow recently let it slip that Bernie was ruining 2020 for Hillary like he did in 2016!

zerosum
    Participant

convirus probable victimes
    Present line of succession
    No. Office Current officer
    1 Vice President Mike Pence (R)
    2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi (D)
    3 President Pro Tempore of the Senate Chuck Grassley (R)
    4 Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (R)

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career.”

I don’t think he’s hyperventilating. I think he’s merely being accurate, which of course sounds weird since we’re used to being lied to so much. I think he’s being honest, and it scares us.

Cornonavirus<>Spanish Flu

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:. Obviously I need to add Canada to your list of favorite countries!

China sits at the top of your list.

However Iran really takes the cake for it’s true 3 monkeys approach! They just announced that 40% of Tehran’s 12 million population will have the flu in 2 weeks! Probably the only true thing they have said in decades!

With Iranians dropping dead like flies, their religious leaders are too busy praying to Allah.

P.S. One day while driving on the main highway in Morocco, between Marrakesh and Casablanca, I saw an old man riding on a donkey. Just before the donkey stepped out onto the highway, right in front of me, I saw him lift his head to the sky, probably saying “Praise to Allah”.

Never once did the man look either way to see if any traffic was coming on the highway! He was quite content to leave the driving to his donkey, which never lifted it’s head, but steadily kept on walking across the Sahara desert, highway be dammed!

Yes, I had to stop from going 100 km/hr to avoid hitting him and his donkey! Despite my screeching brakes, he never once glanced at me!

That is the mentality of the people running Iran!

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to say the coronavirus poses an imminent threat”

One assumes this is because of mainstream media giving them the signal. The Republican side will soon surge ahead in conronavirus concern.

It’s like they take turns.

WES
    Participant

Bosco:. I believe he is telling us what he believes is the truth!

Of course we have already seen lots of bits and pieces of the coronavirus story here on the TAE, so this isn’t a complete surprise to us. Since we are older, we have more than a passing interest!

But for many people, they are still in total denial.

Some it is just a flu, so no big deal! Some still believe it affects only Asians. Last time I looked, Italians and Iranians don’t look very Asian to me and hundreds of them have already died!

WES
    Participant

Bosco:. To be honest, many Republicans expressed concerns back in January. I remember the big up roar from the Democrats and media when President Trump stopped direct flights from China! They were more concerned about hurting China’s feelings than the safety of their fellow countrymen!

I suspect saying anything about the coronavirus back then, just made one feel unwelcome. So you just learn to keep your worries to yourself.

The media are experts of seemlessly switching their positions 180 degrees and anointing blame!

zerosum
    Participant

I just read
    https://www.zerohedge.com/health/all-hospital-beds-us-will-be-filled-coronavirus-patients-about-may-8th-according-analysis
    If we are lucky, (read the odds), we will still be here this fall
    I must repeat what I think.
    (Insert your favorite country)
    Inability for rapid and effective testing, in ______ as well as alleged lack of transparency especially in the early weeks of the outbreak, means we will likely see numbers explode exponentially as has already been happening over the past days.

Survivors will make a civilization modeled on “the Matrix, or “The Brave New World” or “The Avatar”
    (Maybe my circle of life will not consider me “disposable)

zerosum
    Participant

Name the New kinds of Cold virus that you can catch.
    S, L, Con, and Cosco, Panic, Prep,
    🙂

zerosum
    Participant

Military still does not have test kits.
    Hehehehe
    Guess who can get test kits before the rifraf

Dr D Rich
    Participant

Dr. D,
    I figured out the apt analogy. No need to thank me.
    You’re the Tenth Man that semi-saved apartheid Israel in Brad Pitt’s World War Z.
    Keep on countering the panic, propaganda and hysteria.

lasttwo
    Participant

Today a health offical in Washington state said that blood donations are way down and because of the virus there will be a need for more blood.
    So I am thinking that we have not heard much from Africa. but when the virus gets percolated in the dark continent. we may have a new virus and you are hearing it here first

The CORONABOLA VIRUS

zerosum
    Participant

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/6-new-covid-19-infections-announced-in-b-c-1.5489921
    6 new COVID-19 infections announced in B.C.
    Care home in North Vancouver site of a coronavirus outbreak after worker infected
    Jon Hernandez · CBC News · Posted: Mar 07, 2020 10:41 AM PT | Last Updated: an hour ago

Dr D Rich
    Participant

“we will work aggressively with government to further develop and strengthen all necessary protocols for prevention, for detection and for care”
    Good leadership, soothing words from Carnival Cruise Lines

Dr D: (From last night)
    I have become somewhat familiar with Armstrong (not the other two) but Cathal was MY first intro to the concept of “The Reset”. He didn’t mean a cyclical reset, however. He meant the end of the world as we know it, kind of like Martenson’s viewpoint, but much, much worse unless the psychopaths can keep the plates spinning.
    I don’t know much about The Market, but it looks to me like that’s where inflation is “hiding”. I expect the latest developments will bring it closer to home, but it won’t look like the 80s when interest rates were so high. I can’t wrap my head around negative interest rates, but I’m sure it doesn’t bode well for my digital “wealth”. History would suggest war will become much more personal, soon (if it hasn’t already done so with these viruses).

Dr D Rich
    Participant

Don’t trust sh*t from UW Medicine, King County Public Health, or WA DOH. They as self-annointed experts will follow the standard gameplan of blaming one or two workers in the trenches.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/its-awful-situation-washington-moves-take-over-nursing-home-epicenter-outbreak

Oh- and my kudos to Cathal were for his Feb 20th marker. I’d say things changed that day, because the 21st was a real surprise.
    I just have a soft spot for the guy. You, too, Dr D. (smiley emoji face)

Doc Robinson
    Participant

“The coronavirus panic is dumb” (Elon Musk, yesterday)
    “Saying the coronavirus panic is dumb is dumb.” (Nassim Taleb, today)

If the word “panic” means “exaggerated” reaction, could be so at the individual level but NOT at the collective one.
    We MUST reduce connectivity for 20 d to avert a serious problem.
    We have survived for zillion years thanks to “irrational” “panics”.

Why it is SELFISH to not worry more about the virus than other sources of risk even if it does not affect you as much.

Individual precaution does not scale to collective precaution.
    [Adding to PRINCIPIA POLITICA]

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1236319814576214016

Dr D Rich
    Participant

Dr. D, you are genius intimating this hysteria reflects something is going on quite other than coronavirus.
    Now police are following orders of public health officials to force a neighborhood to shelter in place while keeping the residents subjected to home detention in the dark as to the reason.

“The Placer County Health Department issued a brief statement shortly after the police presence, stating: “Law enforcement partners are currently responding to enforce a health officer’s order. We cannot share any additional information to protect patient confidentiality.”

Dr D Rich
    Participant

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“Bosco:. To be honest, many Republicans expressed concerns back in January. I remember the big up roar from the Democrats and media when President Trump stopped direct flights from China! They were more concerned about hurting China’s feelings than the safety of their fellow countrymen!”

Aye, and as you describe, much of their perspective on the virus is driven by political strategy/ideology rather than genuine concern about the virus. Plus, these are all *expressions* of concern. When it comes to decisive, timely, functional action, one Republican’s ass looks like another Democrat’s forehead et vice-versa.

Nobody’s done anything for shit. Who cares who’s crying when about whose sky will fall? I want a bigass umbrella, and I want it yesterday.

The Weather Channel

As for neighborhood lockdowns and a tendency to abuse the authority this gives the, er, authorities: I suspect we’ll just have to get used to it. That playbook has little variation. Form a local gangster network soon or submit entirely to at least a period of draconian cops’n’block-watchsters.

As for talk of Hillary gaining accerss to the Oval Orifice: The majority of people, it seems to me, hate her more than they hate Donald Trump and Joe Biden, and people hate those two a lot.

Also, for the first time in my life, I see a very large chance of this election being postponed, something both parties would welcome, since neither can get what they want from the electoral process, which has transformed into something they don’t understand just as they desperately need to lest they all go to jail, to quote the Lady Rodham.

I think this is going to be the most unique passage in American history as any, and as paradigmatically changeful as the Civil War. Unless America gets super lucky and the infection vectors are mostly contained (it’s possible; so is winning the lottery), we’ll see something that lookas more like martial law than not, and maybe even more like martial law than martial itself.

Last summer, I had a stoplight speak to me as if I were a dog. The light was red, the big No Go orange hand was flashing, and the robovoice from the cross-switch was saying, “wait… wait… wait….” like I was a dog going for a a walk with Steven Hawking.

One wonders what it will be like when the first American wears a de facto burkha and other Americans understand immediately that this person isn’t a Muslim, just someone being smart and using their head to do something other than spread or inhale dangerous pathogens.

zerosum
    Participant

I’ll repeat myself
    Yesterday is gone.
    Tomorrow is for the survivors of the convirus.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

““US banned the sale of rubber tires”

Wow, such genius. So farmers can’t get tractors into the field and miners can’t get ore from the mines. Genius! We’re winning now! Central Planning forever!”

The word “indiscriminate” needs to be placed between “the” and “sale” in the sentence above. Yes, they continued selling tires throughout the war. I would think there was also a brief perioed when sales of rubber tires were placed on gubmint hold until they got their distribution schematics down. We grew a lot of food during WWII, and I suspect our mining during that period hit a new, even dramatic peak, for the USA.

Actually, I think the idea of the virus/economic depression/social agitation serving as Eastasia Common Enemy is plausible. Sell it right, it should work.

But first, you need a real body count. Kind of a Kung Flu Pearl Harbor. San Diego<>Los Angelos seems almost destined to be the locale for such an “event” (statistical accumulation).

Keep us focused on the War at Home. After all, we has met the enemy and him is us.

WES
    Participant

Bosco:. Canada also banned the sale of rubber tires!

The reason I know this is my Grandfather, who lived in Meota, Saskatchewan, had an old car that he could not afford to keep running.

One day a man came around and asked if he could buy the four tires! Grandpa said yes, but only if he bought the whole car!

My Dad said the guy didn’t dither for one second, paying Grandpa his price, cash on the spot! Clearly he was running booze and needed the tires!

zerosum
    Participant

Hahahah!
    What are the young one going to do without our great stories.

WES
    Participant

Bosco:. Another thing I remember was the authorities put purple dye in the gas farmers used to try and prevent them from selling gas on the black market.

The police would check your vehicle’s gas tank to see if there was any purple dye in it!

My other Grandfather, living in Ontario, was a farmer so he got purple dyed gas for the farm. What used to really piss him off were the people who would come around at night to steal the gas from his car because it wasn’t purple gas.

For his car, he of course had to get by just like everybody else using their gas ration coupons. I believe he then greatly increased the number of farm dogs but even that didn’t stop the problem! I think the thieves just fed the dogs!

WES
    Participant

Dr. D. Rich:. Talking about cruise ships, today one of Canada’s health officials, said they would really encourage Canadians to think twice about taking a cruise! Rare honesty!

Especially since passengers could easily get quarantined in some 3rd world country and there would be nothing they could do for them.

WES
    Participant

I noticed oil prices have suddenly taken a dive to about $40.

I don’t think OPEC liked it when Russia said no!

TonyPrep
    Participant

I’m not sure why you think the death rate will go down further. If you add the number of deaths to the number of recovered cases, you get the total of resolved CoVid-19 cases. The death rate is then the number of deaths relative to the total resolved cases. In the portion of the table above, this comes out to just under 6%. This seems to gel with the way the apparent death rate (deaths divided by total cases) has been creeping up (it was about 2% in the first few weeks). Eventually, when most cases are resolved, just dividing the deaths by the total cases will give a fairly good estimate. I would expect the apparent death rate to go up, not down.

Of course, we don’t know how many cases are not reported but that is the only unknown that would reduce the death rate. As we can’t use an unknown number in any calculation, we should assume that the death rate is over 5%.

V. Arnold
    Participant

On a lighter note: The rush to buy toilet paper is emptying the shelves leaving those without in a quandry.
    Not so here in Thailand; we use the “bum gun” (water spray) to clean after using the toilet. Much better… 😉

Doc Robinson
    Participant

All the unreported and undetected cases could be really skewing the calculations for fatality rate. Looking at resolved cases outside of China, the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) is currently calculated to be 13.9%.

CFR = deaths / (deaths + recovered)

which, with the latest data available, would be equal to:

3,600 / (3,600 + 60,190) = 6% CFR (worldwide)

If we now exclude cases in mainland China, using current data on deaths and recovered cases, we get:

503 / (503 + 3,107) = 13.9% CFR (outside of mainland China)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#correct

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.