Debt Rattle November 11 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 11 2016

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Leonard Cohen 21 September 1934 – 7 November 2016 • The End of Growth and the Rise of Trump (Tyee) • Donald Trump Is Moving To The White House, And Li
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle November 11 2016]

V. Arnold
    Participant

You know your old, when the greats’ you grew up with, are dying.
    One by one they go and you know you will follow; when? Who knows; but as sure as the sun rises, you will follow.
    RIP Leonard; you were one of a kind…

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

Try not to take too much offense at being called an economist. I’m sure he meant it in the best possible way.

A twiddler, a dreamer, a jabberbox. A bad egg.

Ken Barrows
    Participant

China shouldn’t repeat the mistakes of the West? Probably not, but what’s the alternative? If a country wants to “boom,” how can it do that without more and more debt? I am sure someone has a detailed analysis on how to grow ad infinitum without more debt, but I haven’t seen it. If there is such an analysis, I suspect it makes a lot of pie in the sky assumptions, e.g. Julian Simon and changing nickel into copper or uranium from seawater.

pjmeli
    Participant

“If a country wants to “boom,” how can it do that without more and more debt?”

Umm, create money directly by marking up bank accounts without issuing corresponding debt? Pretty straightforward. There is nothing stopping a sovereign from doing so beyond politics and mythology.

However, all currency is technically “debt” because in double-entry accounting one side of every transaction is a liability (a debit).

peter
    Participant

About the India currency notes cancellation.
    Here is the official angle. It’s got to do with Pakistan and counterfeit notes.

https://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/new-currency-notes-inside-story-rs-500-1000-scrapped-modi-jaitley-rbi/1/806197.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.