Debt Rattle November 20 2014

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 20 2014

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Jack Delano Truck service station on US 1, NY Avenue, Washington DC Jun 1940 • Growth Isn’t God in Indonesia (Bloomberg) • Federal Reserve In Easy Dec
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle November 20 2014]

NooBoob
    Participant

The Australian copper play is the last gasp for copper. The Chilean leaching play is the last gamble. The drop in oil prices is designed to hurt the U.S. unless it comes around to the Saudi way of thinking about Iran.

Nice fantasy charts, now how about a touch of reality, you know, like real life.
    ► China is currently building a new coal power plant every 10 days.
    ► China produced 6 gigatons of cement in the last 3 years.
    ► U.S. produced 4 gigatons of cement in the last 100 years.
    ► China’s banks produced $15 trillion in debt in the last 5 years.
    ► U.S. commercial banks produced $15 trillion in debt in the last 100 years.
    ► 75% of river bank and aquatic life disappeared in the last 50 years in the U.S.
    ► 75,000 dams clog the waterways of the U.S.
    ► China plans to build close to 400 nuclear plants by 2050.
    ► Energy demand will increase 50% worldwide by 2060.
    ► Emissions have to decrease 80% worldwide by 2060.
    ► 40% Green Energy requires 200% more copper says John Timmer.
    ► To power England today with 100% solar & wind, requires 25% of its land says David MacKay.
    ► Peak copper hits 2030 – 2040 says Ugo Bardi.
    ► Post peak copper production cannot accelerate at any price says Dave Lowell.
    ► This is true of any post peak mineral production.
    ► We mined 50% of all the copper in human history in just the last 30 years.
    ► 100% green energy requires 500% more copper.
    ► There is no REAL substitute for copper according to Mat McDermott of Motherboard.
    ► Peak minerals includes more than just copper.
    ► By 2050, expect to be past peaks for tin, silver, cadmium and more.
    ► We now move 3 billion tons of earth per year to get 15 millions tons of copper.
    ► We can’t afford to mine 500% more copper at ever lower concentrations.
    ► We cannot recycle it into existence.
    ► We cannot conserve it into existence.
    ► Green Energy is our solution to Climate Change.
    ► But, Climate Change is only just 1 of 6 Direct Drivers for Mass Extinction.
    ► The 6 Direct Drivers of Mass Extinction are:
    …..1) Invasive Species.
    …..2) Over-Population
    …..3) Over-Exploitation
    …..4) Habitat Loss.
    …..5) Climate Change.
    …..6) Pollution
    ► Therefore, Green Energy will not stop the End of Life on Earth.
    The good news is that this reality will be ignored by progressives just as climate heating is ignored by the other side. It’s what we call a lose-lose situation.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ NooBoob

Life on earth will not end. Human life may end (I doubt that as well), but life in general will go on. The hyperbole concerning the destruction of the earth is just boring.
    And it’s not based on science.
    Humans are not capable of destroying the earth. Gort is another story altogether.
    But we’re not there…yet…

Raleigh
    Participant

It is almost as if the Earth is crying out for a plague to hit it, something, anything, to make us stop! I mean, can we get any sicker? Perhaps WE are the current plague and we need another one to wipe us out. We humans can actually think, and yet we don’t think deeply, preferring shallow, short-term thinking. I keep reading that the Chinese are supposedly “always long-term thinkers”. Yeah, right! Take a look at their country, their population, debt, pollution, corruption, ghost cities. What is long-term about that? This is a worldwide disease that we’re all guilty of.

Good article on over-population, “Breeding Ourselves to Extinction”:

“Earth’s current human population is 7.27 billion and it is increasing at a rate of more than one per second: so fast that this will make you dizzy. By the middle of any given day, for example, there are about 205,000 thousand births, compared to 84,000 thousand deaths. […] The human population should have crashed from famine in the 1970’s but was rescued by modern science. In particular, Norman Borlaug’s green revolution allowed our consumption of food to rely more and more on fossil fuels than on solar energy. […]

Procreation is still viewed as a being blessing and accomplishment, although this is an obsolete notion from an era when many hands were needed on a farm, and life expectancy was short, especially for women (many of whom died in childbirth) and young children. In an overpopulated world, parenthood is an act of self indulgence: the ultimate act of selfishness against the society at large and even toward the children themselves, who are being delivered to a world in crisis. […]

In most industrialized countries, parenthood currently comes with substantial tax breaks and an assortment of benefits. This must end. Instead, parenthood should be heavily taxed in proportion to the number of children, and adults without children should be those to receive tax breaks. The notion that children are a burden to the community at large — and not a blessing — must become part of the discourse. Ultimately, this should become incorporated in the culture to such a degree that the sight of a mother or father with three or four children will become obscene.”

Breeding Ourselves To Extinction

China has relaxed their one-child policy, allowing two children now if either parent is an only child. Capitalism.must.have.more.consumers! Which I believe is one of the other reasons the West went to China (other than cheap labor) – to grow more consumers for their products. I wonder who advised them on relaxing their one-child policy.

I have children and I love them more than anything. I worry about their future. I think they will be okay, but their children may not be. This I do worry the most about.

jal
    Participant

Re.: picture
    Truck service station on US 1, NY Avenue, Washington DC Jun 1940

If you can answer why there are so many empty oil cans at the gas pump, you might be giving away your age.

Raleigh
    Participant

V. Arnold – I get your point, that humans cannot destroy the physical Earth, but we are capable of destroying human life on Earth, along with all of the animals. Yes, something will always survive, and the Earth will go on, but I think NooBoob is actually talking about human life. And at the rate we’re going, we surely will destroy life on Earth unless saner heads prevail.

To continue on our current path is tantamount to insanity, don’t you think?

NooBoob
    Participant

Releigh:
    1,000,000 seconds = 12 days
    1,000,000,000 seconds = 30 years
    1,000,000,000,000 seconds = 30,000 years
    ► one million people are added to earth every 4½ days at least one per ½ second.
    ► Humans and our livestock are now 97% of land vertebrate biomass.
    ► Humans and our livestock eat 40% of land chlorophyll biomass.
    ► 50% of vertebrate species died off in the last 50 years.
    ► 50% of remaining vertebrate species will die off in the next 40 years.
    ► 75% species loss = Mass Extinction.
    ► Green Energy is our solution to Climate Change.
    ► But, Climate Change is only 1 of 6 Direct Drivers for Mass Extinction.
    ► The 6 Direct Drivers of Mass Extinction are:
    …..1) Invasive Species
    …..2) Over-Population
    …..3) Over-Exploitation
    …..4) Habitat Loss
    …..5) Climate Change
    …..6) Pollution
    ► Therefore, Green Energy will not stop the End of Life on Earth

NooBoob
    Participant

Mega defaunation may perhaps not include us.
    hell will be on earth.
    civilization will explode long before catastrophic ecological cascading extinctions collapse.
    this is were the very threads of the web of life whither away from each other.
    this planetary state shift will result in a lack of basic ecological services like breathing or eating. other than that, things will be just chipper.

Professorlocknload
    Participant
    Professorlocknload
    Participant

Yeah, jal,

Used to need to buy the two gallon cans to keep oil in those leaky clunkers. Even the new car showrooms had oil catching trays under their wares. Oh, and if the Brit cars ever stopped leaking, it was all over but the crying.

rapier
    Participant

Simple question. How is the Fed going to raise interest rates? They set the Fed Funds rate, the overnight interbank rate, and that’s it. Unless they start to shrink their balance sheet,that is sell their notes and bonds which they won’t do then all they have left is words.

The world financial system is flooded with money that is now dying to get into US assets. It’s the last Ponzi standing after all.

Everybody says they are going to raise rates, even them, but nobody says how. They seem to think there is a magic wand in the Eccles building.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Raleigh
    To continue on our current path is tantamount to insanity, don’t you think?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yes, I agree. But it’s our nature. It would seem that if we can’t change that (our nature), then the rest is moot.
    Did you know Obama quietly okay’d another pipeline to deliver tar sands oil to the gulf?
    It would appear Keystone XL was/is a diversion; the Kansas City Shuffle. You look here and the action’s over there…
    Here’s a link;
    https://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/4/enbridge-keystonepipelines.html

Raleigh
    Participant

V. Arnold – “But it’s our nature.” Well, I don’t know that it’s everybody’s nature, but it certainly is the nature of our psychopathic leaders.

Kansas City Shuffle is exactly what these guys do. Good find.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Raleigh

We don’t really disagree; it’s just the pedant in me. Such as
    ; “our psychopathic leaders”.
    They’re not leaders, they’re rulers. I can’t say when last we had a leader…
    Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.