Debt Rattle October 10 2015

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle October 10 2015

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DPC Masonic Temple, New Orleans 1910 • Deutsche Bank: Tip of the Iceberg for Cutbacks at European Banks? (WSJ) • Banks Take Spotlight As Earnings Seas
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle October 10 2015]

Greenpa
    Participant

The piece I’m still struggling with is how astonishingly good we are at refusing to learn or remember. How do we do it? And I include myself, to be sure. I read “Grapes of Wrath” in high school, and “Silas Marner” – and learned not one single thing, in spite of plenty of emotional response.

“Look at the orators in our republics; as long as they are poor, both state and people can only praise their uprightness; but once they are fattened on the public funds, they conceive a hatred for justice, plan intrigues against the people and attack the democracy.”
    ― Aristophanes, Plutus

That’s perfectly lucid, and accurate, and from around 400 BCE.

Raleigh
    Participant

Hopefully Russia blasts the hell out of the U.S.-backed “moderate” terrorists, and sends ISIS fleeing for their lives. Then the people of Syria can go home.

Unfortunately, we don’t get to choose our parents. The three-year-old Syrian boy who drowned, along with his mother and older brother, off the coast of Turkey (while trying to flee to Greece) didn’t get to choose his. His family fled from Syria to Turkey. They were not living in a Turkish refugee camp; there were no guns chasing them. The father’s sister in Canada sent him $4,000.00 so that the family could travel to Europe to get the father’s teeth fixed.

So with all of that money on hand, the father loads his family (who could not swim) into a small boat WITH NO FRIGGIN LIFE JACKETS. He has $4,000.00, BUT HE CAN’T AFFORD TO SPEND ANY MONEY ON LIFE JACKETS? His teeth were apparently more important.

Apparently he was trying to live on $17.00/day in Turkey, but wasn’t getting ahead. Yeah, that’s what I would do (not!) Because he wasn’t “getting ahead,” he chooses to risk his family’s lives.

There is no way I would ever, EVER put my family at risk. If there were bombs going off behind me and there was no alternative, maybe, but not like this. He was looking for a better life and anxious to get his teeth fixed. Children and wife? Obviously not too worried about them.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/image-of-syrian-boy-washed-up-on-beach-hits-hard-1441282847

Raleigh
    Participant

“Prepare yourselves: The Great Migration will be with us for decades. It is not war, but money, that drives people abroad. That is not going to change any time soon.

When the crew of HMS Bulwark first fished immigrants out of the Mediterranean, they were expecting to find the world’s hungry, wretched and destitute. Instead, they found them relatively healthy, well-dressed and carrying mobile phones and credit cards, which they intended to use upon arrival in Italy.

The military learnt then what politicians are only slowly beginning to work out – that this is not simply a refugee crisis. The world’s poor are on the move because they’re not quite so poor as they used to be, and can afford to travel. A great migration has begun, and it could be with us for decades. […] As more people have the money to move, more are doing so – and at extraordinary personal risk.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11842760/Prepare-yourselves-The-Great-Migration-will-be-with-us-for-decades.html

A good proportion of those migrating are economic immigrants. As Mish says, if you continue to hand out benefits, they’ll continue to come. Ilargi, are you seriously advocating that anyone – anyone – who ends up anywhere in the waters of the Mediterranean should be admitted with open arms? And Europe is somehow to blame for people drowning? I do not understand this sort of reasoning.

Dmitry Orlov said the other day that the Middle East wars are tribal wars. Don’t know that that’s going to change unless nations get carved up along tribal lines and they keep whitey away from any of the carving up. In the Middle East and the rest of the world (Africa, Asia), overpopulation plays a huge part in their problems. Add in government corruption keeping a lot of people poor, one of the biggest reasons Africa has not progressed one iota.

And then the cherry on top: the U.S. and their NATO puppets destroying countries. This is what we should really be fighting against, at least to start with. I mean, if NATO was so worried about democracy and bringing peace to people, then why haven’t they been in Africa taking out the filthy-rich, corrupt leaders there?

And shouldn’t we be helping people stay in their own countries? With this current exodus, especially with the Syrians, the cream of the crop are leaving, the ones with education, money, the very people who would be instrumental in building the country back up again. I only hope they have a country left to go home to.

So now the narrative is that Syrians are a bunch of rich and comfy people who overfill flimsy dinghies and risk their lives and that of their children just to get even richer? That narrative doesn’t sound very smart, does it? Of course Europe is responsible for people drowning, it can up its search and rescue missions ten-fold if it wanted to. Do these people have to be welcomed with open arms? Well, we shot their homes to bits, so I guess they should. The least we can and must do is to minimize the suffering. Just letting them continue to drown exposes us as barbarians.

Raleigh
    Participant

As you and I have both said, our world is being governed by sociopaths who are causing chaos and destruction. You and I are not doing any of this, nor would we even think of it. What is happening is an absolute travesty. But what I find interesting is when you even question what’s happening, you get called a racist, bigot, a lazy, fat Brit, a barbarian, or it’s suggested that the refugees would make better citizens than you would (Marseilles, anyone?) I guess that’s supposed to just shut people up, make them feel guilty and ashamed for even asking silly questions. I am tired of that shit.

In the case of the three year-old boy, yes, I hold his father responsible for his death. No, they were not fleeing bullets or tanks. There was no rush to get out. His family was safe until he refused to spend some of his $4,000.00 on life jackets or take a safer route, preferably one where his whole family is not drowned.

There are millions more back in the refugee camps (in Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon) who do not have the money to get out. What about them? The ones who are getting out are getting money from somewhere, or they already have it. That’s what the article was saying. They are moving because they can. I have read articles stating that the refugees are coming by bus, train, cars. They are well fed and well dressed. That takes money. You can hardly walk from Turkey to Germany with no food, no money. You’d starve on the way.

The Syrians are not coming to get rich. They would not have come at all if the West wasn’t in there stirring up trouble. But now that they’re homeless, it is the ones with money who are coming. The camps are receiving money, but I agree it’s no life. I only hope Russia can save the day and let these people go home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

And Merkel is now the big benevolent leader, full of heart for the refugees? It has nothing to do with her wanting cheap labor? I don’t buy it. I think they’d have boats out on the water and every border secured right tight if they didn’t want them. Her corporate handlers are telling her what to do. Heart? Yeah, right.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.