Debt Rattle October 15 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle October 15 2017

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Piet Mondriaan Composition in color A 1917   • Tesla Shareholders: Are You Drunk On Elon Musk’s Kool-Aid? (Lewitt) • ECB Suffers from “Corporate
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle October 15 2017]

rapier
    Participant

We, or I anyway, read these stories about how China works, or at least stories about how the party/government does things that make this or that happen, or not, and I nod my head and say OK. The thing is I can’t imagine how it works, really. Does that make any sense?

And too , can they keep credit expanding at $4TN a year pace, never mind what isn’t getting paid back, forever? And let them win this capitalism thing?

Nassim
    Participant

“We, or I anyway, read these stories about how China works, or at least stories about how the party/government does things that make this or that happen”

rapier,

Me too. Whenever I read that Xsi has to do this or that before the party congress, I just shake my head.

It is a country with over one billion people – many of them very smart. How on earth can one man have such influence? That is not at all how the world works IMHO. Even in the Soviet Union and with Stalin on top, it did not work like that.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

How many libraries’ worth of tomes have been written about the various political and economic systems? Theocracy, democracy, oligarchy, monarchy, communism, capitalism, crony capitalism, feudalism, and on and on. Almost as many variations as there are sexual orientations these days.

What I’ve come to realize is the system is rarely to blame. Joe Sobran used to write about the relative virtues of monarchy compared with a democratic republic. Monarchy came out on top except for one thing: the nature of the king himself. What I’m saying here is that the problem is people, not any particular system. There is simply no conceivable system more complicated than a tribe of primitives in the jungle that our species is mature enough to make work. We are not up to the task of producing a larger system that functions productively and peacefully over the long term. We’ve got some evolving to do, and there isn’t a shred of evidence that we’re doing it.

Why are people the problem, and not the systems? Isn’t it obvious? All people are liars and thieves, just not equally so. And proficient liars and thieves always rise to the top. For this species to thrive into the future, a selective pressure must be applied against nearly all who govern. Currently, those who govern are increasing the selective pressures against all those who don’t.

The risk here is that the compulsion to subjugate others might well be a genetic disorder. We can banish it to the fossil record, but only if it doesn’t banish the rest of us to the fossil record first.

Nassim
    Participant

DS,

Martin Armstrong has been advocating one-term limits in so-called democracies. I see some merit in it.

My preference is something along the Swiss lines – where pretty well everything of importance is put to a referendum. Sadly, that only works if the public is well-educated and the media telling the truth or at least not suppressing it.

₿oogaloo
    Participant

Nassim, term limits do not solve the problem of the revolving door between government and big business. If anything, they only strengthen the hand of big business. What are elected officials to do after a single term? That’s right: Go to work for the people they were supposed to regulate while in office.

The only cure to restore democracy is decentralization. That is the only meaningful way to restore decisionmaking to the local level. That means that secession movements are here to stay.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.