Debt Rattle September 23 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 23 2017

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Salvador Dalí Mi esposa desnuda 1945   • Why the Stock Market’s Up and Why it Won’t Last (MO) • The Great Corporate Cash Shell Game (BBG) • Debt
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle September 23 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Having marched in the streets of downtown Portland, Oregon against the assault on Vietnam; having been drafted (excused on a medical condition[long storey]); having read the years of bullshit in the MSM; I can atest to the abomination of the Ken Burns docufairytale.
    I can also assure you that Usians will love it, with few exceptions.
    Thank you John Pilger for your relentles pursuit of historical facts!
    My wife and I were in Vientiane, Lao in 2004 and our taxi driver, a Lao man the same age as me 59, offered to be a tour guide around the city; we agreed to his offer. He took us to many places, but the one he was most proud of was a war memorial, dedicated to Lao’s involvement in the U.S. war on S.E. Asia.
    He knew I was an American (I told him and no problem); and he related how proud he was that his country, Lao, had first, kicked out the French; and then kicked out the Americans.
    I laughed out loud and gave him two thumbs up; he beamed.

That’s cool V. Arnold. It makes me think like: they say the victor writes history, but the US lost that war and all wars ever after that they started. So who’s writing what, really?

Doc Robinson
    Participant

I’m strongly anti-debt, but the following could be misleading:
    “For each $1.00 the economy grew in this 1 year period the total debt outstanding increased by $5.48.”

I won’t go into the portion of the $5.48 that is due to the increase in residential mortgages outstanding, which doesn’t really grow the economy anyway (except for the fraction related to new construction). Instead, I take issue with it being presented as some sort of cost/benefit relationship, with the “benefits” of the growth being limited to the single year that it grew.

A simplified example:
    Joe’s income has stagnated. He could acquire additional credentials, which would raise his income, but he would have to borrow money to do it. The credential program for Joe has a one-time charge of $5,480. Should Joe take on $5,480 of debt if it would raise his annual income by $1,000? Joe’s growth in income would occur just one year, and then it would be stagnant again. But Joe would reap the benefits of that growth (the extra $1,000 of annual income) every year thereafter. (Until the economy crashes and nobody is hiring…) If the interest rate on the loan is “reasonable”, then a typical cost/benefit analysis could conclude that Joe should take on the $5,480 of debt.

seychelles
    Participant

Why the Stock Market’s Up and Why it Won’t Last (MO)
    God I hate disguised infomercials, especially gold infomercials…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Raúl Ilargi Meijer
    Thanks
    I think the U.S. has forfeited any right, to write the history of anything.
    In the almost 15 years I’ve been in S.E. Asia, I have spent much of that time re-learning the genuine history of many things.
    The U.S.’s forced, public “education” system is an abomination and has been since its inception.
    It’s little more than propaganda machine designed to infantilize its youth.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

Doc R: $5.48 is no doubt an average of some sort. Debt assumed for constructive purposes (e.g. business expansion) is completely different from debt assumed for speculation (e.g. margin accounts) or consumption (e.g. most social programs, most military spending, residential real estate, stock buy-backs, automobiles, credit cards and many student loans). For the last half century, banks have set us up for eventual deflationary collapse with a growing preponderance of loans to Whimpy:

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

V. Arnold: There are three possible ways to win an argument. Persuade your adversary, kill your adversary, or educate your adversary’s children and wait. The U.S. has had mixed results with the first two, but the third is now bearing fruit. Or should I say, bearing snowflakes. HIstory will show …

History will show whatever the government educators want it to show.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Diogenes Shrugged
    Indeed.
    One of the most outstanding books I’ve ever read is John Taylor Gatto’s; The Underground History of American Education.
    He was a teacher in N.Y. for 30 years and won best teacher of the year more than once, IIRC.
    Here’s a link to his book, for free; it’s an audio book.
    https://www.unwelcomeguests.net/The_Underground_History_of_American_Education

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.