Debt Rattle September 25 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 25 2020

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Louis Anquetin Avenue de Clichy 1887   • Durham, Barr, Jensen and DOJ Production to Sidney Powell (CT) • FBI Analysts Bought Insurance Fearing Th
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle September 25 2020]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Louis Anquetin Avenue de Clichy 1887

That had to be a difficut scene to paint…
    The crowds of people are constantly moving…
    I like it well enough, but more I cannot say… 😉

zerosum
    Participant

conceal exculpatory information
    BY WHO
    FROM WHO

WHY

WHEN

CAMERAS, EVERYWHERE
    PHOTOSHOP EVERYTHING
    SECRETS ARE FUTILE WITH THE WEB

Susmarie108
    Participant

“Everyone’s first reaction: They should limit their own terms.”

No, they won’t.

Been thinking about RBG’s “dying wish” and how rare those are. In addition, she made it formal and dictated it bedside with witnesses. She must have known that it would be shared widely, and that it would get push-back from those who would never choose to honor it (let alone admit that she made the statement). Now WHY would she, knowing quite well the law was not in support of waiting for the next Pres to replace her – ask for such a thing?

Two reasons:

1) Term limits. Out of her own personal experience, out of her deep LOVE for her work, she could not let go during Obama, despite being nudged to do so. There was too much left to do. She is proof that relying on the Justice to end their LIFE’S work is not realistic. In dying she lost control of all she tried to protect, she made a case for term limits.

2) RBG calculated the impact that this “fight” would have on firing up the Democratic base, with emphasis on all women and young people. It appears to be working now. Will the momentum continue and show up in the election results?

D Benton Smith
    Participant

Let’s get right to the point : So-called Universal Basic Income is not one bit crazier than the Universal Basic Outgo that we already have.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the critics of UBI ( all of them rich guys) say that giving people something for nothing will not only make us go broke, but also encourages laziness by paying people to be lazy. Maybe so. Just like slapping people with an unpayable debt the moment they’re born might be a bad thing because it turns more than half of the entire population of earth into slaves who can never escape from servitude to unelected undeserving uncontrolled unprincipled oligarchs who live off of the debt collection.

Really.

Should not sauce for the goose also be sauce for the gander?

Using physical force (or the enforceable threat of it) to make me pay a tax on food, shelter, clothing and the ground I sleep upon is not a logical extension of some fundamental truth or natural justice . It is a purely arbitrary , human-made rule devised by rulers ( all rich guys.) Maybe that’s a good thing and maybe it’s not, but one thing about it is for sure in either case: it’s “made-up” , invented, and artificial.

It’s just Universal Basic Outgo isn’t it?

How is that fair? How is that not crazy as bat shit?

If I am arbitrarily born into debt and servitude it seems to me both fair and logical that I also get a few “free chips” in compensation. That way I can at least stay alive (barely) on an ongoing basis so as to keep trying to dig my way out of the hole I got thrown into at the git-go.

Dr. D
    Participant

Anyone want to bet the mystery Russian Spy was named “Sergei” and he lived 6 miles from Porton Down?

House Dems Prep Bill to Limit Supreme Court Justice Terms to 18 Years (F.)”

Or you could give them an legal aptitude test. Since most of them wouldn’t pass it on the first day, well, there you go. How can I say that? First questions are “What is Freedom of Assembly” and what is meant by the words “Shall not be Infringed”? 8 fails. You’re out.

Bonus question: Does or does not the U.S. have legal jurisdiction over foreign citizens who have never lived or worked in the United States? What if they are journalists? (Subtext A: what are “Freedom of Speech”, “Illegal search and seizure”, “Cruel and unusual” and “Habeas Corpus”?) Bye bye. You couldn’t pass 1st year law.

“Hunger in America, Especially for Children, Has “Skyrocketed” (Int.)”

I don’t know where they get this since every poor person I see is fat as h—l. And buying the most expensive Lays Chips and 2-liter sodas in the store. I’m just jealous. Because I work I don’t have the kind of money it takes to afford that lifestyle, nor their healthcare.

UK, France Break Daily COVID Case Record”

As like NY and NJ, nobody dies. Deaths are under 10/pr for 90 days. We’z all gonna dieeeeeeeeee! I don’t want Covid! Then I’ll have to live ‘til I’m 80!

Survival rate WITH Covid, not even OF Covid, under 25: 99.997% That is, more likely to die of car accidents, alcohol, the flu, bison, beavers, rabid hamsters…

0-19 99.997%
    20-49 99.98%
    50-69 99.5%
    70- 94.6%

But Goldfish! Squirrel! Now it’s the “case rate,” not the “almost complete lack of death” rate. Oh and the “Let’s see how fast we can erase all human rights from the planet” rate. Sign me up!

Yes, let’s “brace” for the 2nd wave of a disease so deadly you can’t even tell if you have it or not without a test. Yup. Science! Makes sense to me! Life is dangerous. There are psychos out there trying to kill us all with government and bad science.

“’No one here gets out alive.” –Jim Morrison

“We can’t allow human rights again until we have a cure for death itself.” –Cuomo, Gates, Fauci, Macron, Sanchez, Johnson…

Ah, but Lake Trump is just full of itself.

Dr. D
    Participant

Spanish Flu killed 50M. In today’s terms that would be 220M. We’re about 220 Million short. Doesn’t matter/never matters/will never matter again.

“The Truth? What’s that?” –Pilate John18:38

zerosum
    Participant

How to win votes
    VOCABULARY LESSON (from Biden to Trump)

DEBUNK
    to expose or excoriate (a claim, assertion, sentiment, etc.) as being pretentious, false, or exaggerated:
    discredit · disprove · contradict · controvert · confute · invalidate · negate · give the lie to · prove to be false · challenge · call into question: no proof of wrong doing

Mr. House
    Participant

Dr. D,

You aren’t thinking like a power hungry psycho who thinks they are the center of the universe willing to destroy the lives of millions to hold on to power. The low number of deaths will be pointed to as a success for lockdowns and eliminating civil liberties. Just like QE saved us all since 2008.

Bill7
    Participant

From ‘Silly Season’, by the estimable Russell Bangs:

“..Step one was the pre-planned terrorist propaganda-lockdown assault using Covid-19 as a pretext. Whether SARS-COV-2 was deliberately engineered in a lab and released last autumn, or whether the system waited opportunistically for globalization to roust it out of a cave somewhere (the timing strongly indicates the former), the terror-lockdown campaign was used to smash mass protest everywhere, further atomize all social relations in general and demolish every level of economy from global to local. This “Great Reset” is by far the most extreme exercise in disaster capitalism ever undertaken..”

Silly Season

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Dr. D

“I don’t know where they get this since every poor person I see is fat as h—l.”

You’ve never seen a real poor person, then. Maybe it’s that high horse you ride on. From up there, maybe the only poor people you can see are the super-large ones. But it’s not that calories are hard to come by in the USA. Housing, etc., are what are so costly these days, although food costs are rapidly catching up.

^&*

@ Mr. House

“The low number of deaths will be pointed to as a success for lockdowns and eliminating civil liberties.”

It is more likely that a low number of deaths will be viewed as you view it. People will say that covid was bullshit and that we were lied to. For comparison: Y2K was fixed in time for it not to be catastrophic, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a potentially major catastrophe… if left untreated. The problem with successful predictive problem-solving is that the solving of the problem tends to make the problem appear in retrospect to have been exaggerated.

Crisis? What Crisis?

We have many thousands of nukes, allegedly capable of wiping out billions of people and maybe creating a “nuclear winter”, but we have only managed to kill a pitiful 129-226K* according to official estimates. (*Hiroshima Nagasaki)

That doesn’t mean that nukes aren’t a major threat, nor does the short-term view we have of covid today mean that the threat is as big as some say or as small as others say. We simply don’t know yet. But it makes great political hay for folks from powerful elites to the homeless guy muttering into his blanket after losing his iffy waiter job. We are being exploited, yes, as always. But that’s normal. I doubt very much that this foray into lockdowns and various civil liberty reductions will provide popular justification for more of the same. The civil unrest I see at large says otherwise.

If Ginsburg made such a wish, I hope it was the disease talking. It’s a nonsense wish, and outside the scope of a keen judicial mind.

Mr. House
    Participant

y2k was just another excuse for the fed to print. Look it up.

Mr. House
    Participant

had to keep that dot com bubble going just a few more months.

https://www.thestreet.com/mishtalk/economics/jim-bianco-says-this-is-qe-like-y2k

Huskynut
    Participant

@madamski – “Y2K was fixed in time for it not to be catastrophic, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a potentially major catastrophe… if left untreated”

Y2K is a very illustrative comparitor.. thank you for raising it. I worked on Y2K, and I agree.. the absence of problems when the date rolled over was due in large part to the extensive work to mitigate it.

But Y2K was almost the perfect problem for the technosphere to address. The issue lay entirely within the technical domain – apart from tradeoffs in financing and resourcing the remediation (vs applying that money elsewhere) there were no externalities to consider.

Applying the same narrow technocratic thinking to Covid is precisely the problem. The externalities of lockdowns on personal freedom, the loss of jobs, the financial and social impact on societies are profound externalities. Which is why deferring to epidemiologists (or professors of risk) – with their often narrow and mechanistic mindsets – is so catastrophically foolish.

Addressing Covid response in a rational way requires a profoundly holistic mindset, involving philosophy and morality as much as science. “We follow the science” is an incredibly stupid and self-defeating response.

Unlike Y2K, Covid is the kind of problem the technosphere is utterly unprepared and unable to even dissect and process, let alone formulate a holistic response.

Huskynut
    Participant

Or, more succinctly:
    “We’re following the science” isn’t a solution. It’s a concise and accurate statement of the problem.

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Mr. House

Y2K was a genuine problem solved by the global availability of cheap code monkeys to fix the problem. Whatever the FED did because of Y2K is whatever the FED did; the FED did not cause Y2K.

I looked it up.

Mr. House
    Participant

you win madamsi, lock us up forever. I concede. A women asked me today if she could put a biden sign my apartment yard. I declined since i’m not voting. To which the old hippie across the street who probably turned in his birkenstocks to be a yuppie in the 80’s asked me in disgust if i want four more years of this. sigh

Mr. House
    Participant

Also Y2k didn’t really ever happen. I remember lots of people trying to charge you money to “update” your system. My old man didn’t change anything on his computers at work, and we didn’t change anything on our computer at home. Still worked the next day.

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Huskynut:

To be sure: I don’t see any authority dealing with covid competently or even sanely. Whether covid is not that bad or is a doozy, I can’t say. But the same ambiguity applies to political interpretations of covid: is it something intended to foster a New World Order? Or just some shit that happened to governments too bloated to do anything but hinder even if they are trying to help?

I see this: China locked down a major city, even some provinces, iirc. Got everyone’s attention. Things happened after that. As I understand the current situation, China has covid under solid control and is focusing on furthering their ongoing national agenda. Everyone else, except maybe Russia, is freaking out while taking teensy, often contradictory measures to deal with whatever covid is/isn’t. No one is copying China although it is the epicenter for reactions to covid and has had the most success with reducing its spread.

Charles Hugh Smith’s article today at Of Two Minds decribes how in totalitarian societies, EVERYTHING is politicized.

How does this happen? I believe that part of how that happens is shown here on TAE: everyone seems to want to view a virus through political lenses. In the process, justifying political oversight of covid responses is strengthened. When everything is deemed to be a political conspiracy, political conspiracies achieve heightened credibility and acceptance. People pile on to fight for/against this/that conspiracy. (Witness BLM vs Proud Boy activity.) Lenin would love it.

The fact that a mere exotic flu has stupefied entire nations tells us that entire nations were already brain-dead and ready to falter.

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Huskynut

I scare ’em off with a simple: “I don’t vote.” I look at them like they’re nuts as I say it.

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Mr. House

Your old man is a very small sample by which to say Y2K wasn’t real/didn’t happen. The reality of the problem is not removed by the fact that the usual ten %ers tried to make money off the problem outside its primary realm (large inter-woven legacy software).

Also, I wrote @ Huskynut in my post above when I meant @ Mr. House. Oops.

madamski cafone
    Participant

Incidentally, re: Spanish Flu:

“The first wave of the flu lasted from the first quarter of 1918 and was relatively mild.[31] Mortality rates were not appreciably above normal;[32] in the United States ~75,000 flu-related deaths were reported in the first six months of 1918, compared to ~63,000 deaths during the same time period in 1915.[33] In Madrid, Spain, fewer than 1,000 people died from influenza between May and June 1918.[34] There were no reported quarantines during the first quarter of 1918. However, the first wave caused a significant disruption in the military operations of World War I, with three-quarters of French troops, half the British forces, and over 900,000 German soldiers sick.[35]”

&*(

“The second wave of the 1918 pandemic was much more deadly than the first. The first wave had resembled typical flu epidemics; those most at risk were the sick and elderly, while younger, healthier people recovered easily. October 1918 was the month with the highest fatality rate of the whole pandemic.[42] In the United States, ~292,000 deaths were reported between September–December 1918, compared to ~26,000 during the same time period in 1915.[33] Copenhagen reported over 60,000 deaths, Holland reported 40,000+ deaths from influenza and acute respiratory disease, Bombay reported ~15,000 deaths in a population of 1.1 million.[43] The 1918 flu pandemic in India was especially deadly, with an estimated 12.5–20 million deaths in the fall months of 1918 alone.[31]”

We don’t know much about this thing yet. But we talk about it as if we do. How human. I know someone who had it. She wasn’t young but she wasn’t ancient. She was very healthy, vigorous, not overweight. She spent a month fighting it. It was awful. Two months after coming down sick, she still has lingering symptoms. No, this doesn’t mean we should lock em up nor does it mean we shouldn’t. But it’s not something I would dismiss out of hand as being exaggerated and that’s that. It’s not a political entity. It’s a virus. It doesn’t vote.

madamski cafone
    Participant

“Economic

“Alberta’s provincial board of health poster
    Many businesses in the entertainment and service industries suffered losses in revenue, while the healthcare industry reported profit gains.[168] Historian Nancy Bristow has argued that the pandemic, when combined with the increasing number of women attending college, contributed to the success of women in the field of nursing. This was due in part to the failure of medical doctors, who were predominantly men, to contain and prevent the illness. Nursing staff, who were mainly women, celebrated the success of their patient care and did not associate the spread of the disease with their work.[169]

“A 2020 study found that US cities that implemented early and extensive non-medical measures (quarantine etc.) suffered no additional adverse economic effects due to implementing those measures,[170] when compared with cities that implemented measures late or not at all.[171]”

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.