How Will We Handle Our Losses?

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum How Will We Handle Our Losses?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ashvin
    Participant

The book of Job We've spent some time talking about the psychology of loss on TAE – see, A Glimpse Into the Stubborn Psychology of Fish, A Glimpse
    [See the full post at: How Will We Handle Our Losses?]

jal
    Participant

Articulation is a wonderful gift …

Lucas Durand

“All things must pass”
    Maybe George Harrison had some insight to share…

TheTrivium4TW
    Participant

Hi Ash,

Aren’t you just the life of the party. šŸ˜‰

Job was an incredible personality. I don’t know how well I’d do in similar circumstance, but I don’t think it would be anywhere near as well as Job handled it – I guess that’s why his story was made a book in the Bible.

I’m warning people of what is coming and encouraging them to take out some food and water insurance. Most laugh at me. I do not look forward to the day they show up on my door with nothing as they won’t be as high up the priority list to help as the folks who weren’t given any warning at all.

I saw a guy I met at last year’s Occupy protests. He’s in his late 20s and lives in the street. He’s a nice guy and he’s really into the Bible – so he sees his work as kind of a minister to other people, many of whom who are on the street.

He has a serious system of street living down pat – skills that will become more valuable as time progresses.

It dawned on my today that we might be able to do a video on how to survive on the street in the city – if only I had video production talent.

I do want to pick his brains as what is most important in terms of skills and things to live on the street. I have no doubt that he has high level street survival skills and insight.

I’m saving like crazy – but bitter that every dollar I save is someone else’s unpayable debt that money lenders collect a vig on – by definition.

Debt Money Tyranny is so freaking immoral…

I’m warning and preparing – fully expecting to need to help plenty of others, but also knowing that my family is my first priority.

TheTrivium4TW
    Participant

Ash, have you heard this Martin Luther King speech referenced in KMO’s podcast (it starts about 3:11 into the podcast)?

https://c-realm.com/podcasts/crealm/292-limited-hangouts-and-perception-management/

I’m not sure he understood the details of the Debt Money Tyranny, but I have no doubt that he very clearly smelled a systemic economic rat.

I also believe that MLK’s focus on love (caring for others equal to oneself) is the answer.

https://vimeo.com/11154217

Do we care enough to pay cash and starve the big banks of their 3% cut? Do we care enough to support our local communities even when it costs us more? Do we care enough to learn about GMOs and demand human testing? Do we care enough to understand why fluoridated water is opposed by the EPA scientists or why the flu shot has never undergone randomized, double blind placebo studies for efficacy? Do we care enough about the future of our children to resist and expose the mechanisms used by the power structure to destroy that future?

The societal answer is a resounding “no” to date.

We don’t care, and the predator class understands this and uses this societal character defect as the central core of their plan to destroy us.

The more I hear or read of MLK’s actual work, the more I understand why the system hated him.

Purplefrog

There will be many who, in the course of great loss, will discover Life. There are many already who can testify to this. Jesse posted a great article this last week concerning this.

https://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com/2012/07/jacques-lesseyran-poetry-in-buchenwald.html

Eckhart Tolle in A New Earth talks about this awakening of human consciousness.

Thank you for turning our attention to these things.

gary_rowe

When supply chains are disrupted due to financial problems, merchants will work to get them working smoothly once more. It is clearly within their interests to do so as soon as possible.

If the existing system of international payment guarantee and fulfilment (letters of credit and wire transfer) is not operational due to problems with those running those systems, then another system will be used.

There are many alternatives ranging from a simple “trust me, I’ll pay you” right through to “let’s use Bitcoin from now on”. The speed of adoption of alternatives depends largely on how long the impact on the existing system is likely to last.

Anyone who feels that they are likely to be affected by the issues raised in the article should read up on Bitcoin at their first opportunity. See https://bitcoin.org for more details. Also, read up on the myths section to dispel the usual FUD that surrounds this kind of thing: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths

gurusid
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Of course one should not neglect the spiritual side of this parable. Job when he talks of the ā€˜darknessā€™ is describing a stage in the spiritual journey of a spiritual human being. While this is done metaphorically, it none the less has critical relevance to the spiritual journey. It is part of the series of fables found the world over that include the dark night of the soul; the walk through the valley of death; the crucifixion on the cross; battling Mara under the Bodhi tree; all are spiritual trials in allegorical ā€˜materialā€™ form. A good modern day description of this particular part of the spiritual journey ā€“ in realising that one is beyond the material and bodily forms ā€“ can be found here: https://itisnotreal.com/deep-sleep.html . For a more Christian oriented take on the same thing in different terms see this interview of Bernadette Roberts: https://www.spiritualteachers.org/b_roberts_interview.htm. Of course this will have unfortunately little impact on those stuck in the realm of mammon, who like Jobā€™s detractors, fail to see and understand the true meaning to which the story of Jobā€™s suffering points. Mythological allegories were never meant to be taken literallyā€¦

Comes back to my earlier comment of not losing ones head while those about lose theirs (and allegorically ref. The Highlander movie ā€œdonā€™t lose your headā€) though according to Douglas Harding you donā€™t have one to begin with!: https://www.headless.org/books-by-douglas-harding-and-others/on-having-no-head .

Good job its all a dream!

Row row row your boat,
    gently down the stream,
    merrily, merrily, merrily,
    life is but a dreamā€¦

And let us not forget the other great JC (John Cleese) and the Python teams Eric Idle for the following:

“Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse.
    When you’re chewing on life’s gristle
    Don’t grumble, give a whistle
    And this’ll help things turn out for the best…

And…always look on the bright side of life…
    Always look on the light side of life…

If life seems jolly rotten
    There’s something you’ve forgotten
    And that’s to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you’re feeling in the dumps
    Don’t be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle – that’s the thing.

And…always look on the bright side of life…
    Always look on the light side of life…

For life is quite absurd
    And death’s the final word
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    Forget about your sin – give the audience a grin
    Enjoy it – it’s your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
    Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life’s a piece of shit
    When you look at it
    Life’s a laugh and death’s a joke, it’s true.
    You’ll see it’s all a show
    Keep ’em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life…
    Always look on the right side of life…
    (Come on guys, cheer up!)
    Always look on the bright side of life…
    (Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
    (I mean – what have you got to lose?)
    (You know, you come from nothing – you’re going back to nothing.
    What have you lost? Nothing!)
    Always look on the right side of life…

KEY Am

verse:
    Am G
    Am G
    Am G E7
    A7 D7

chorus:
    G E7 Am D7
    G E7 A7 D7

Background: This song is from Life of Brian by Monty Python. From what I heard, they were filming the last scene of Life of Brian and were all bored and hot sitting up on their crucifixes. So Eric Idle started singing a little ditty. Everyone (but Eric) liked it so much that they decided to use it. It has sine become one of our most popular songs as well.”
    From: https://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics/Always_Look_Bright_Side_Life.shtml

L,
    Sid.

pansceptic

I have befriended a homeless person, and from this limited sample can tell you that they are not only totally dependent on the present economic arrangements but are also dependent on the relative prosperity of the surrounding community.

For example, she has a stategy when she has to “sleep rough” (outdoors); she buys a $15 sleeping bag at Wallymart. If it rains or whenever it gets dirty, she just abandons it wherever she is and hustles up the money for another one.

Another anecdote – a place where she was hanging out (vacant lot near a church that gives out food) has a huge Ficus tree (a tropical fig tree here in S Florida). The ground was littlered with little figs, so I asked her if she ate them. She said no, the word on the street was they were poisonous. I picked up a few and opened them; they had the same structure as the figs in the supermarket. I ate a few, they taste just like figs, and I suffered no ill effects. If they covered the ground with all the cheap sleeping bags, sheets, etc from their shopping carts, they could gather many pounds of these figs for free. But they don’t have a clue. Whenever the handouts and easy shoplifting come to an end, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.