James Howard Kunstler is a big fan of The Automatic Earth

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum James Howard Kunstler is a big fan of The Automatic Earth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, James Howard Kunstler, major American author and great longtime friend of The Automatic Earth (Jim would be
    [See the full post at: James Howard Kunstler is a big fan of The Automatic Earth]

Livedeadcat
    Participant

Kunstler has long been my favorite crank. I try not to miss his Monday morning missives (kunstler.com), where I always appreciate his linguistic legerdemain and often learn a new word or two in the bargain. Like most Doomers, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, and while I’m waiting for that slow freight train to arrive, Jim helps me laugh.

Jacara

I enjoy JHK’s podcast, in addition to some of the ones he mentioned. For the most part I agree with his assessments. One thing I’d add to the review of Financial Sense Newshour is that he generally doesn’t challenge his guests because he doesn’t feel that’s his place. He lets people like Nicole Foss (which is how I found his show) say their side of things and then agrees with the parts he likes — and politely lets slide the things he disagrees with (like when someone predicts deflation, while he’s a hyperinflationist). I happen to like that about his show.
    I can’t stand his sidekick, though. He fake-laughs at all his non-jokes constantly, and his only role is to deliver the setup lines for the host to comment on.

It IS a slow freight train that Kunstler’s calling for. I like him — not only have I read “The Long Emergency” but also the book-length compilation of the better bits of his podcasts with Duncan Creary — but he’s a bit of a one-note singer. The doom that’s always just over the horizon. I’m always amazed at the buffering capacity The System has in keeping the can kickable. I’d like to hear his thoughts on the mechanisms of how that plays out.

The most memorable of Kunstler’s recent columns was the one where he revealed that his poor health was caused by a metal-leaching artificial hip. It showed how techno-complexity has unanticipated side effects. It also personalized him more. I could see the body behind the brilliant but bilious brain.

Nassim
    Participant

He is fun so long as you don’t discuss the Middle East in his presence. He is a bit like a musician who only can play one tune, but very well.

Viscount St. Albans
    Participant

Jim’s ideas and opinions are indispensable, even when you disagree with them.

He’s a grand idea man with a command of the language that has few parallels. His discussions with Duncan Crary have been illuminating in so many ways, it’s hard to enumerate them all. It’s like listening to Bill Evans playing the piano: You know roughly where he’s going, but he manages to surprise and fascinate you along the way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.