Julian Assange Is Today’s Martin Luther King

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Julian Assange Is Today’s Martin Luther King

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Caravaggio The seven works of mercy (Sette opere di Misericordia) 1607   “Well, I don’t know what will happen now. We’ve got some difficult days
    [See the full post at: Julian Assange Is Today’s Martin Luther King]

V. Arnold
    Participant

I disagree that Assange is today’s Martin Luther King; I see some parallels, but not the life…
    Assange may end a martyr; but that doesn’t equal decades of frontline commitment resulting in physical beatings, arrests, assaults, and an FBI war of lies, slander, and psyops…

..decades of frontline commitment resulting in physical beatings, arrests, assaults, and an FBI war of lies, slander, and psyops…

Which one of the two did not have this perpetrated upon him? [..] ..an FBI war of lies, slander, and psyops.. Assange started off with fewer physical beatings perhaps, but what about right now?

You know, VA, I think in the end the best question to ask of ourselves is how we think Dr. King would have looked upon Julian Assange. And I think we all know the answer to that question.

He would have acknowledged the dedication towards truth and justice. And he would have recognized the influence of smear, because he lived with that for a large part of his all too short life of 39 years,

I didn’t get to mention Muhammad Ali today, but he of course is right there up there with them. He too refused to give in, because no Vietcong ever called him a nigger, gave up millions of dollars, his career, seeing his children grow up, everything.

That he won eventually should in no way change the public perception of what he was willing to give up. They are all people willing to pay the ultimate prize. We who haven’t should not be too eager with our opinions, or too judgmental about them, we simply don’t have the -moral- right.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Assange started off with fewer physical beatings perhaps, but what about right now?

That is another thing altogether. But again; I’m looking at the long view and that is what count’s for this particular comparison, IMO.

You know, VA, I think in the end the best question to ask of ourselves is how we think Dr. King would have looked upon Julian Assange. And I think we all know the answer to that question.

He would have acknowledged the dedication towards truth and justice. And he would have recognized the influence of smear, because he lived with that for a large part of his all too short life of 39 years,

Yes, of course he (King) would acknowledge the great things Assange has done,
    IMO, you just picked the wrong way to create the comparative; as I said before; I see the parallels but not the life lived…
    Can you imagine if Assange was black?
    Talk to me in 10 years and we’ll have a longer time line with its subsequent history. 😉

P.S. Thanks for the acknowledgement of Ali; another great Usian…

P.S. Thanks for the acknowledgement of Ali; another great Usian…

The two greatest Americans, in my eyes, from the 2nd half of the 20th century, were both black. I like that.

V. Arnold
    Participant

The two greatest Americans, in my eyes, from the 2nd half of the 20th century, were both black. I like that.

Me too…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.