The Big Tech Backlash of 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum The Big Tech Backlash of 2018

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Herbert Ponting Scott’s Terra Nova Expedition, Antarctica 1911   Something must be terribly wrong with the world. A few days ago Elizabeth Warren
    [See the full post at: The Big Tech Backlash of 2018]

zerosum
    Participant

” … the brainchildren of the best that the best among us have to offer….”

” …They don’t all work the exact same way, which may make it harder to recognize what they have in common. For some it’s easier to see than for others. It’s also difficult to list them all….”

You forgot to list the following groups …

You forgot to list the impact that they have on our social/economic systems

They are the unrecognized and the unappreciated

They are blinded by their big ego

They are invisible and irrelevant.

The bloggers, the commenters, the prophets, the fact checkers,

Nassim
    Participant

I develop websites for myself and others and am always amazed at the resources these “tech” companies need to use – programmers, managers, servers etc. – in order to produce something that can be done in a few months by a small team of good programmers with complementary skills.

Here is a website that took me around 12 months part-time work to develop:

https://qbusters.com.au/

It can handle millions of commutes per day in a city – I use Melbourne as a base – where people share rides. If you press the “Simulator” link, you will be able to pretend to be a commuter and either offering or accepting lifts with your neighbours to your work place.

Obviously, my weakness is in marketing such a concept. Frankly, politicians are only interested in building more roads / tunnels / bridges / intersections because these things are physical and they lead to more jobs and GDP. In Melbourne, only one car in 10 has a passenger during the rush-hours. It takes no Einstein to work out that increasing that to just two cars in every 10 is equivalent to a massive public works effort that costs many billions and takes years of work.

“Someone should set this up as an international effort that makes it easy for a community, a city etc., to provide this kind of service and make the profits benefit their own cities. ”

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that all these “services” should be handled locally. My website above can be readily reproduced for any English-speaking city at minimal cost. I think that cities should start trying to keep the money local.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.