When the Deflation Tsunami Hits, Losing the Least is a Winner

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum When the Deflation Tsunami Hits, Losing the Least is a Winner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    alfbell

I think a sailboat is definitely the ultimate “bugout” vehicle. It puts you in the best fabian condition and gives you a home with the most freedom from government and authorities and the best chance of survival (and no property taxes, domicile state, or way of being located).

Unfortunately for a landlubber like me, and after just reading some of Orlov’s writings on the subject, there is a lot to know and a lot to do regarding this, which is a bit too intimidating for me. On second thought I don’t think that I can move towards this as a solution.

(Damn! Why didn’t I take sailing when I was in camp, and why didn’t I spend some of my Summers learning how to boat and sail? Oh well.)

I guess I’ll have to figure out how to survive and thrive on land. (I’m waiting for some genius to be able to do diesel engine conversions so they run on hydrogen or pure water. Then at least a motorhome would be a decent bugout vehicle for the future.)

alfbell post=1007 wrote: I think a sailboat is definitely the ultimate “bugout” vehicle. It puts you in the best fabian condition and gives you a home with the most freedom from government and authorities and the best chance of survival (and no property taxes, domicile state, or way of being located)

Its not as good as it seems Alf. There are some very critical problems with the Sail Paradigm that Dmitri does not consider. Much like the Gas Powered RV, it has only a window of Utility, its not a long term solution.

I won’t rewrite all the problems here but just sample a few. First off, Sailboats are very vulnerable to Piracy while at sea, and very vulnerable to theft while moored. For so long as the system as a whole holds up, here in the FSofA you are OK in a Marina, but when there is general lawlessness and mayhem going on any boat moored in any populated location is horrendously vulnerable.

Second, even on a decent size boat your storage space is very limited. You can store maybe a year’s worth of well packaged freeze dried stuff, but if you do you wedge out most of your living space. I do not see such a methodology as a long term solution here, its just a Bugout method.

In many respects, despite fuel unavailability likely down the line, gas powered RVs work better if again you realize that they are not long term solutions, just Bugout means.

Long term success demands a Community, the Bugout Machine is just a means to get you temporarily OUT of a really BAD situation and hopefully into a somewhat better one. In both cases, the primary advantage is in Mobility and not putting all your eggs into one “basket” of a given location which could go south on you for many reasons.

More on this in due time over on DD.

RE
    https://www.doomsteaddiner.org

alfbell

A self-sustaining community/commune with a divergent group of good like-minded people (wide ranging skill sets); on arable land (good crop fields and some solar green houses); with a good well; adobe type homes (thick clay or straw bale walls for comfort and low energy needs in Winter and Summer) with some wood stoves also; guns and ammo; and a little C-Class RV for bugout or emergencies would be a good way to go.

Here’s a concept: Buy a large tract of good land in a good location and build your adobe home. Create a bunch of sites so others can build homes there as well (could even put down concrete pads and buy repo’d mobile homes really cheap and set them up for living). Be selective and start recruiting your community by having the people you choose buy into it or rent from you. End result: a group that thrives; grows its own food, repairs it own vehicles machinery and tools, protects and defends the compound, etc.

alfbell post=1027 wrote: A self-sustaining community/commune with a divergent group of good like-minded people (wide ranging skill sets); on arable land (good crop fields and some solar green houses); with a good well; adobe type homes (thick clay or straw bale walls for comfort and low energy needs in Winter and Summer) with some wood stoves also; guns and ammo; and a little C-Class RV for bugout or emergencies would be a good way to go.

Here’s a concept: Buy a large tract of good land in a good location and build your adobe home. Create a bunch of sites so others can build homes there as well (could even put down concrete pads and buy repo’d mobile homes really cheap and set them up for living). Be selective and start recruiting your community by having the people you choose buy into it or rent from you. End result: a group that thrives; grows its own food, repairs it own vehicles machinery and tools, protects and defends the compound, etc.

What you describe here is something we have been discussing for quite some time on Reverse Engineering, the founding group that is responsible for the new Doomstead Diner blog/forum.

Generally speaking, putting all your eggs in one basket of a given Doomstead limits your mobility, and once you start building a whole bunch of stuff on a given plot of land you become tied to it. What happens if you say buy a nice Doomstead in Texas, but then a Border War breaks out full on with Mejico? What happens if you plop down in the mountains of Colorado but then drought or flood or Wildfires take out your Doomstead?

Cheaper raw land with no permanent structures on it distributed out in various different regions provides redundancy, as long as you have enough mobility to move from one spot to the other. The key here is learning to live on unimproved land with temporary structures in a nomadic lifestyle. Various types of good cheap shelter can be utilized from tents at the beginning to hexayurts and geodesics, along with of course the Bugout Machines for so long as you can get the gas to move them from one spot to another. Once the gas is no longer available, they stay where they lay in their Final Resting Place. Then you have secondary means of movement possible after that, Bicycles and even on Foot.

I’ll be posting up tomorrow an article I wrote a while back about living Mobile utilizing commercial Storage Units and Bugoout Machines or even just your SUV on DD.

RE

bluebird
    Participant

Reverse Engineer said “The key here is learning to live on unimproved land with temporary structures in a nomadic lifestyle.”

Reminds me of various Indian tribes who lived hundreds of years ago in North America. And if I were younger, I would seriously consider it. But I am older and with family history, I probably won’t live beyond 10 more years anyway. It is unfortunate that I am unable to get younger family members (or anyone) to understand our planetary/financial/food/shelter predicaments that this would be beneficial for them to begin prepping for. But they already think I am crazy at the small things I already am doing, I can’t imagine what they would say if I attempted a nomadic lifestyle.

hombre

I am in the same situation, Bluebird. Another decade or so and I may be gone, or will likely be immobile at best.
    As to this statement… “The key here is learning to live on unimproved land with temporary structures in a nomadic lifestyle.”…
    There are not really any (livable) wilderness areas left large enough to accomodate a nomadic lifestyle. Once again, population density enters the picture.
    I suppose our best bet is to be “…nomadic of mind, if not of place…”
    Actually, I am now thinking more about the well being of my kids and a granddaughter then I am for myself and spouse. We’ll likely go down with the ship (of state). Right now some of my own family think my ideas about the near term future are somewhat silly, if not absurd, so I keep them mostly to myself–even while watching and planning.
    One thing I avoid like the plague is becoming fixed into a “set” of beliefs. everything is dynamic and change is unceasing.

hombre

El G – Another fine post. Makes good sense to me!
    I would think it would be better for folks to play it safe in short term TB’s than to, later, be sorry, even for those who did not agree with your reasoning. What else to do with their stash? — into the market!!?? 🙂

hombre post=1040 wrote: There are not really any (livable) wilderness areas left large enough to accomodate a nomadic lifestyle. Once again, population density enters the picture.

I am no Spring Chicken either. However, I am not talking about living H-G here on a neolithic level, at least not for quite a while yet. You’ll understand better what I am talking about after I get up the article later today.

RE

OK, I got up the Mobile Living/Nomadic article in conjunction with “OWS” day on DD. Surly got up another OWS article also.

https://www.doomsteaddiner.org/blog/2012/03/08/storage-unit-ows-professional-protester-paradigm-owsppp/

RE

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.