Brexit Is Pandora’s Gift To Britain

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Brexit Is Pandora’s Gift To Britain

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Saul Leiter Raining on two 1957   First of all, let me reiterate that I don’t think Brexit is a bad thing per se. Getting rid of Brussels is at l
    [See the full post at: Brexit Is Pandora’s Gift To Britain]

Dr. D
    Participant

They’ve played their cards well: “You voted wrong, now go back and vote until you get it right.”

Of course being the Anglos, that would be too obvious, so dragging your feet and screwing everything up until it’s a mess, THEN calling a referendum will make it the people’s fault again. Not their leaders, ‘natch.

On the other hand, take Mish’s option: leave the E.U. tomorrow, pay nothing, clear the market-hobbling uncertainty in days, and make them invade if they want to collect. That may sacrifice some U.K. continental assets, but looks like all that will be in the courts for generations like Jarndyce and Jarndyce, but it’s better than paying AND in court, AND with a vicious ex-wife in your house, so might as well be cut off the sinking ship in the meantime.

Will they do it? No. They have the opposite of the good of the country in mind. The people may not be well-versed, but unlike their leaders at least they’re smart enough to know up from down and good from bad.

zerosum
    Participant

” …. the British public will be forced to pay to settle the Brexit “divorce bill”. MPs and peers, including former cabinet ministers, say that with the bill agreed this week and likely to be between £40bn and £50bn, …”

With 1/5 of the people in poverty!!!!!

I have stupid question???

Why would anyone pay back any kind of loans that originated from the printing press?

Borrowing from the printing press is done by central banks and gov.

Defaulting/forgiving makes the loan disappear and there is no one injured.

seychelles
    Participant

“…until and unless the left has re-defined itself as actual left again, representing people instead of themselves, there will be no easy way out.”

Logos. USA, too.

“Saul Leiter Raining on two 1957”

Now that’s a GREAT work of art!

Dr. D, you’re not reacting to my emails, so I’ll just move forward

Doc Robinson
    Participant

The border with Ireland shouldn’t be a deal-breaker. Canada and the US don’t have an “open border”, yet somehow they manage when the border goes through towns and even buildings.

“There are 15 official border crossings along Vermont’s boundary, averaging out to one every six miles.”

“[In] the community of Derby Line, Vermont/Stanstead, Quebec… a large Victorian house is divided by the boundary.”

“[Also] bisected by the line is the Haskell Library and Opera House, intentionally built on the line by its benefactors in 1904, to celebrate the friendship between the two countries. The line hits the east side of the building obliquely, where two separate fire escapes had to be built, one in the US, and one for Canada. Many such redundancies and building code complexities have to be tolerated by the building managers. After repairing the roof a few years ago, the building’s owners were sued for not hiring a Canadian contractor to work on the Canadian portion of the roof.”

source: The Center for Land Use Interpretation

zerosum
    Participant

The people will not pay the Brexit divorce bill. They got no money.
    The rich will not pay. (That’s why they are rich.)
    Therefore, one printing press will pay the other printing press and all will be forgiven.
    Anything else is extortion.

Nassim
    Participant

My mother was born in 1917 – before Ireland was split up by the British. In 1918, there was a General Election (for whole of the British Isles) and the Sinn Féin (Irish Nationalist) got a majority in Ireland for the first time and trounced their more moderate competitors. They refused to attend the Westminster parliament and tried to hold sessions of their own “parliament” in Dublin. The British were not amused and a lot of blood was shed.

Irish general election, 1918

Not much later there were lots of Troubles and an Uprising. In the end, the British divided the place up by creating Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. The island was divided along county lines so as to ensure that the Protestants had a majority in the north – but not in all the counties that were included in NI were majority protestant. Right now, protestants are a minority in NI.

My Irish Catholic grandparents had a farm in NI and right on the border. It was a great time for all those in that fortunate position as a tremendous amount of smuggling went on in both directions. During WW2, my mother was in London and she never lacked for food as parcels would arrive regularly from the farm.

What I am getting at is that the people who live close to the border might well profit from a hard border. It is a lot more difficult to control than the border of the USA and Mexico – because the people on both sides are identical and speak the same language.

BTW, not many people know that as soon as the Irish Republic was created, its leaders sought to eliminate all those who were not in their very own faction. Loads of Republicans were murdered by other Republicans wearing uniforms.

De Valera, the first president of Ireland, was running the Republic along semi-fascist lines for decades. He was born in New York of an Irish mother and a Spanish/Basque father. Just like Franco, he always had the Church on his side.

Éamon de Valera

seychelles
    Participant

I have been advised by a prominent London photography gallerist that the estate of Saul Leiter has determined that this image is not his work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.