Debt Rattle August 24 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 24 2016

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

G. G. Bain Asbury Park, Jersey Shore 1914 • British House-Buyers Dance With the Devil (BBG) • How America Accidentally Nationalised Its Mortgage Marke
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle August 24 2016]

Raleigh
    Participant

So the bonds issued by the two Spanish energy companies, Repsol and Iberdrola, were bought by the Bank of Spain, who then sold them to the ECB? The Bank of Spain and the ECB both created money out of thin air to buy these bonds, or just the ECB? How exactly did this work?

This money then ended up in the hands of the two energy companies to what, pay off existing debt? Or to go towards salaries, bonuses? Or to buy back more of their own shares? Or to pay out dividends?

If this money doesn’t go to paying off existing debt, and instead is used for some of what I listed above, this would cause further inflation (which is what the central banks want) by raising the price of assets which this money would flow into, depress interest rates further, make existing Euros worth less?

Where have I gone wrong?

Because if I’m halfway right, then why aren’t these guys swinging from a lamp post?

Raleigh
    Participant

Dmitri Orlov – what a great piece of writing! After reading it, I somehow felt a little safer, knowing that the neocons don’t hold all the cards.

Raleigh
    Participant

If you wanted to do business with Secretary of State Clinton, you needed to first hire Slick Willy for a $250,000.00/hour speaking fee, donate to the Clinton Foundation, and then maybe you could do business. The documentary “Clinton Cash” connects the dots well.

I stupidly turned on CNN for about two minutes the other day. A reporter was talking about the Clinton Foundation, was just getting into the meat of it, when Anderson Cooper quickly interrupted and cut her off, then said, “Any further information on Donald Trump’s Mexican wall?” It was so blatant that the reporter was taken aback. Must deflect to Donald, not Hillary. Robert Parry’s article “Trump and the Long History of Media Bias” illustrates this well:

“The new excuse for the U.S. mainstream media to violate its professional principles of objectivity and balance in covering this presidential race is that it’s all Donald Trump’s fault, or as The New York Times put it, “Trump Is Testing the Norms of Objectivity in Journalism.”

But that is just the latest dodge for American journalists who don’t really believe in the principle of evenhandedness. Many have been slanting their coverage for as long as I can remember in my nearly four decades covering news in Washington.

Indeed, bias and outright dishonesty have long been the norm for major American news outlets, especially in the fabrication of foreign monsters around the world for the U.S. military to seek out and destroy.

The truth is that at virtually every spin of America’s revolving wheel of “enemies,” The New York Times could write a similar headline blaming the foreign leaders, just as the newspaper did Trump: “Putin Tests the Norms of Objectivity in Journalism” or Bashar al-Assad or Saddam Hussein or any other designated villain du jour.

In the Times’ framing of the problem, it’s not the journalists who have a responsibility to maintain “the norms of objectivity”; it is Trump or some foreign villain who “tests” the norms. The journalists are the victims here, with their high standards being put under unfair pressure.”

https://www.opednews.com/articles/Trump-and-the-Long-History-by-Robert-Parry-Biased-News-Coverage_Government_Media_Media-Failure-160819-785.html

And another good article by him is “America’s Journalistic Hypocrites”:

“As part of this phenomenon, there is profound cognitive dissonance as the rationales shift depending on the neocons’ tactical needs. From one case to the next, there is no logical or moral consistency, and the major U.S. news organizations go along, failing again and again to expose these blatant hypocrisies.

The U.S. government can stand for a “rules-based” world when that serves its interests but then freely violate international law when it’s decided that “humanitarian warfare” trumps national sovereignty and the United Nations Charter. The latter is particularly easy after a foreign leader has been demonized in the American press, but sovereignty becomes inviolate in other circumstances when Washington is on the side of the killing regimes.”

https://www.opednews.com/articles/America-s-Journalistic-Hyp-by-Robert-Parry-American-Foreign-Policy_Iraq_Journalistic-Cooperation_Neocons-160816-783.html

Raleigh
    Participant

Turkish forces cross over into Syria, with air support from the U.S.

“The Turkish Army with the air support of the US-led coalition launched a military operation on Wednesday to allegedly drive ISIL out of Jarabulus city.

“Moscow is deeply concerned about what is happening in the Syrian-Turkish border area,” the ministry said, adding that further degradation in the conflict zone and the prospect of Kurdish-Arab ethnic conflict raises alarm, Sputnik reported. […]

The Syrian foreign ministry also condemned Ankara’s cross-border military operation and entry of Turkish special forces and tanks into Northern Syria.

“Damascus condemns the entry of Turkish army’s tanks into Northern Syria as a blatant violation of its sovereignty,” a Syrian foreign ministry official said on Wednesday.”

https://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13950603001612

The Kurds must be getting too close to Turkey for Erdogan’s comfort. I remember him saying that the Kurds were “not” to move west of the Euphrates River, but so they have.

Nassim
    Participant

The Great Barrier Reef: a catastrophe laid bare (Guardian)

Here is some of it: “Surveys have revealed that 93% of the almost 3,000 individual reefs have been touched by bleaching, and almost a quarter – 22% – of coral over the entire Great Barrier Reef has been killed by this bleaching event.”

It seems they did a proper survey when tourism dropped off a cliff.

Great Barrier Reef only 5% bleached (Cairns Post)

To me, it seems bizzare that people should compare a living organism – which is what a reef is – to a car accident or whatever. Reefs come and reefs go. Some grow and some shrink and some die – just like for bacteria. They leech a phenomenal amount of eggs and sperm which in rare instances start new colonies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.