Debt Rattle December 8 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle December 8 2020

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Salvador Dali The Sick Child. Self-Portrait in Cadaqués 1921   • China’s Sinovac To Double COVID19 Vaccine Output (F.) • We Had the Vaccine the W
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle December 8 2020]

Re: Tucker Carlson ….

Sigh. After 4 years of RussiaRussiaRussia! are the next four going to be a ramping up of ChinaChinaChina? I see it already from my ( Canadian remember ) Trump supporters. These are solid small c conservatives who are big supporters of Amurica!, John Wayne style. While I am not naive enough to think the Chinese ( or Russian for that matter ) leadership are saints, I do think my friends are so busy buying the trope of the exceptional nation they fail to see the moral stains obvious to many the world over — see the Obama article posted as an example.

Hopefully, it’s not all just the world’s bully preparing its citizens for war as the challenger arises to alter the geo-political landscape in its favour.

Tough day in vaccine paradise. AstraZeneca’s vaccine is only 62% effective among the least vulnerable group, <55, and in the Pfizer vaccine group two volunteers just died.

Mr. House
    Participant

If they force people to get a vaccine, wouldn’t that invalidate the last 40 years of the abortion debate? My body my choice?

Noirette
    Participant

Tim Garett, saying we will not save ourselves, ‘decarbonize.’

https://bit.ly/3goCzx2 (from previous thread.)

He is right. We humans prefer to go out with a bang leaving the whimper behind and see where the chips fall. ( 🙂 I’ve been reading old English novels.) For many reasons.

While individually, or small-group wise, many are ready to make sacrifices (so to speak) or ‘change’ their life style etc. collectively we cannot do it. Because the feared and loathed *one world Gvmt.* doesn’t exist (I’m not advocating for it), and because any consequent reduction in energy use renders countries, communities, and even individuals, weaker.

! Giving up eating meat, and not using plastic bags, and living in a glitzy mini-home or van is not going to cut it.

Switzerland as an ex.

A rich, European country (the richness does not come from banks – less so for ex. than for France or GB – about commensurate with the US, around 10% of GDP, which includes insurance) but from old-style cheap (coerced) imports transformed and sold on (e.g. coffee, gold.) Arms production is also a big money maker. Big Pharma looms LARGE. Tourism was a huge money earner. (Snow and safe, friendly spaces..)

In case of an energy crisis, a severe one, the plan comprises (I’m not sure of details but I participated a bit, and we all know “la musique”), first, all residents double up. About 50% of energy is consumed in CH by buildings, constructing them, maintaining them, heating and cooling them, providing hot and cold water – human activity within NOT counted (cooking, TV watching, making stuff, etc.) (Industry other topic.)

In 1960 the build up space occupied by one person was 25 sq. m (includes corridors, hallways, attics, entries, communal spaces for laundry, etc. but not garages which house cars) to double that in around 2010. So returning to a 1960s space would be perfectly possible, but natch energy consumption would not be cut by half. The doubling up would have to be for a good part Gvmt. managed to occupy the most viable buildings (all the others would be left to rot) but also to tabulate, organise movement, travel, cutting it down. So some ‘hubs’ or organised viable places would persist, others would turn into ruins.

Agriculture would be boosted immediately, with the Army / others / working hard (more conscription?) pronto. (CH might just be agri. independent, that is a hard call. It imports about 50% – but exports a lot too – so, the question is, where / what are the borders? Agri would go local big time..) Distribution routes would have to be figured out…

That is just the start of what would have to be done – to reduce energy consumption by less than 50%.

If Switz. did all that it would need to keep up a Land Army in top form to defend its borders. The soldiers would have to be ready to kill. Big investment.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

“…in the Pfizer vaccine group two volunteers just died.”

The linked JP article gives some additional context. Two died in the vaccine group, while four died in the placebo group.

“According to the published data, six of the participants in the experiment died, two of whom received the vaccine and four of the control group,” said Dr. Uri Lerner, the scientific director for Midaat. “After an in-depth examination, no connection was found between the experiment and the cause of death.”

Mr. House
    Participant

Where’s the Hitler?

The same people want you to give up any semblance of rights due to covid, and the economy only crashed due to covid.

upstateNYer
    Participant

tinfoilhattedcanuck: “Sigh. After 4 years of RussiaRussiaRussia! are the next four going to be a ramping up of ChinaChinaChina?”

I don’t see the similarity between the two but am open to being convinced.

Russia was peddled for the last 4 years as being so powerful they decided a US presidential election with only a six figure investment of US dollars on Facebook. If that were the case, all of our politicians, who spend billions on election campaigns, should have hired Russia to run their campaigns.

On the other hand, China has been given a free pass by most of the world for decades on, quite literally, everything they do.

The world ignores the Uighurs in China. No one has yet explained why these particular Muslims are unimportant and why their spiritual beliefs don’t matter. Anyone? Waiting …

The world blames Foxconn for Chinese workers committing suicide by throwing themselves out windows. Why not blame the Chinese government for allowing the working conditions that create an environment where their citizens are committing suicide? Shouldn’t the government implement regulations to protect labor rights?

The ‘belt and road’ initiative will wind up impoverishing many countries through onerous debt that can’t be paid back. Why isn’t anyone openly discussing the risk/benefits of this initiative for countries who struggle to care for their own citizens?

People have suggested that western countries should adopt China’s methods for controlling coronavirus since these methods appear to have been wildly successful. Are we seriously suggesting China’s level of control is beneficial for a healthy citizenry?

I recently read a comment that Trump “didn’t start a trade war with China, he ended the surrender.”

And in a weird twist of fate I find myself defending Trump’s actions on this. I fully support tariffs on China as a needed effort to regain control of monopolistic supply chains that leave the US at a distinct disadvantage.

On the other hand … I can’t remember the last time I was unable to purchase an “essential item” because Russia decided not to ship it to the US.

@upstatenewyorker

“On the other hand, China has been given a free pass by most of the world for decades on, quite literally, everything they do.”

With respect, that’s quite a ‘pot calling the kettle black” statement, with a huge dose of hyperbole. Quite literally EVERYTHING they do? Wow. I’m not naive, no country leadership can be considered saintly, but there is relativity to consider. We Canadians routinely turn our heads when matters of Indigenous rights to clean drinking water are brought up for instance.

America is in a class of its own though. In a nutshell, BOTH sides of the aisle genuflect to the wants and needs of the MIC . And they NEED wars to make profits. And they keep the ruse going by needing to have Boogeymen to scare the public into compliance and support.

Oh, the Russians, Syrians, Venezuelans will still be demonized no doubt. But the go-to devil is now the great challenger China. Sure there are some valid truths behind the “look at them!” narrative, there usually is. Not the point.

Or maybe I have been reading too much Caitlin Johnson.

Cheers.

cloudhidden
    Participant

Here we go!
    That one did not take long.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-coronavirus-ontario-december-8-update-1.5832467

Ontario is planning to issue some kind of proof-of-vaccination card to those who receive their shots.

“That will be very important for people to have, for travel purposes and perhaps work purposes or going to theatres or cinemas or any other places where people will be in close physical contact when we get through the worst of the pandemic,” said Health Minister Christine Elliott on Tuesday.

“So yes, that will be essential for people to have that,”

straightwalker
    Participant

Hard to read too much Caitlin Johnstone!

sinnycool
    Participant

Re Judge Emmet Sullivan finally discharging General Flynn.

Among Sullivan’s comments:

the pardon “does not, standing alone, render [Mr. Flynn] innocent of the alleged violation” of 18 U.S.C. § 1001(a)(2). Schaffer, 240 F.3d at 38.

Zero Hedge comment of the day:

“I thought Americans STARTED innocent. But what do I know?”

upstateNYer
    Participant

@tinfoil … interesting your “pot calling kettle black” statement. I didn’t say US leadership is “saintly.” (I’m not insane, for goodness sake). But criticism of the US is positively endless, there’s no need for me to pile onto that smoldering heap. And no one seems to want to acknowledge the obvious … the US doesn’t act alone, even when it appears that way for all intents and purposes. (Dr D’s comment the other day was spot on when he skewered Britain for finally publicly admitting it’s worried about being able to protect itself without US military support).

At the same time, any criticism of China is immediately labeled as xenophobic. Why is that?

@ upstatenewyorker,

Ok, I can see your not a blind Amurica! Right or wrong! kinda guy. Respect.

Your statement “At the same time, any criticism of China is immediately labeled as xenophobic. Why is that?” is beyond my ability to verify or deny. I would suggest it has to do with the same reason that ANY criticism of Israel is immediately shrieked as anti Semitic.

Both countries do things that they should be held accountable for instead of turning the issue of wrongdoing onto the person calling them out. Granted, racism does exist and the calling out should not have a basis in this nasty tribal human flaw. Imho of course.

Mr. House
    Participant

anybody remember this? Still unsolved

MH17 and the Southern Cauldron

Mr. House
    Participant

12. Do control the media. The media focus must remain on emotions and on your fake evidence, not on actual hard evidence. Your media assets must either ignore or ridicule any scenario other than your “official” scenario.

John Day
    Participant

Nice buncha comments today, brothers and sisters!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.