Debt Rattle February 14 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle February 14 2022

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    D Benton Smith
    Participant

@MyParentsSaidKnow asked, “What is it a computer can’t do?”

It cannot be aware, and thus it cannot be recipient of subjective experience. There does not exist (in such a closed loop system (such as a computer or “AI”) any self aware presence capable of recognizing the fact that there is even a basis for making such a distinction.. An aware presence (for example) can observe a computer and know that it is observing a yes/no logic switching mechanism that is unconscious . . . but a computer cannot perform the same feat back in the other direction. It cannot observe an aware being and distinguish it from an unaware yes/no logic switching system.

In other words, a living awareness can play around with the “Turing Test” by comparing what it observes to the subjective experience of what its own awareness is. A computer can not do the Turing Test , because the computer has no subjective experience of awareness against which to make the comparison.

In the simplest terms, a computer is utterly incapable of making the subjective distinction between “Good” choices and “Bad” choices . It has no capacity for knowing the moral difference between right and wrong . . . which is why artificial intelligences ALWAYS end up wrong, broken, and evil.

WES
    Participant

Thanks TAE commentators! I have been trying to catch up on yesterday’s 161 and today’s 121 comments!

BOSCO: Loved every word of your on going Santa story! Now I just wish I could steal it and go back in time to give it to my high school English Literature teacher! It would surely light up her joint!

D Benton Smith
    Participant

@boscohorowitz said, ” I love both magical AND rational thinking, I know they must be kept separate in one’s mind.

Like Porgy said, “Well, that ain’t necessarily so.”

You CAN have magical and rational thinking together in the mind at the same time, just as happily compatible as snuggly bunny rabbits, but there’s a knack to it. Rational thinking is magical thinking with the brakes on, and magical thinking is rational thinking with accelerator only and fuck the brakes. You can easily do both at once by covering the brakes, going easy-does-it on the gas . . . and a sharp watch out for cops!

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Agreed, DBSmith. I remember thinking I should rewrite that expression, cuz what I meant was that one must always maintain the distinction between the two, not confuse magical with rational et vice-versa.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“Rational thinking is magical thinking with the brakes on, and magical thinking is rational thinking with accelerator only and fuck the brakes. ”

I LIKE that.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Thanx, WES! Santa’s story became something of a heroic quest for me during the weeks I sat in the chair forever and ever while various illnesses toyed with me. My goal is to write something that brightens to core glow of Santa, blows off all the commercial dust, and returns him to his proper status: sainthood. I treat the subject with deep reverence.

Bill7
    Participant

Learning from the lockdown “left” that Freedom and Free Speech are “dangerous and right-wing” activities sure has been clarifying.

HONK, HONK !

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.