Debt Rattle July 10 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle July 10 2016

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

G.G. Bain Political museums, Union Square, New York 1909 • Bank Earnings Loom Large As Stocks Near Record on Wall Street (R.) • The Epic Collapse Of T
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle July 10 2016]

V. Arnold
    Participant

The whack jobs will still deny climate change. At this juncture it no longer matters; the “tipping” point is long past.
    Human caused and because of innate ignorance and a strong denial of responsibility along with a cult like following; humans are in fact doomed to extinction, immanent extinction at that.
    At 71 (and childless) I find myself with a smug sense of indifference towards the ignorant many who have doomed us thus. May they pay dearly…

John Day
    Participant

@V.Arnold: “We have met the enemy and he is us.” Pogo, Walt Kelly
    We are all part of this, living as we do, and we didn’t know it, or plan it this way. We’re animals with food and fuel and opportunity. Maybe it was our destiny to bring all that fossil carbon and water to the surface, for the eventual use of planetary life forms. It has created a fossil-fuel life-support-system for our species, which has allowed a brief epoch of almost unrestricted doubling, and doubling and doubling of our kind. It’s over, but life is not over, and our species and other species are not over. We are the most dominant apex-predator ever, and this is the ecosystem of our making. We can also be stewards, tenders of the garden of life. Really. We have this talent. Some may pull it off. We should help that get underway, while we still draw breath. Here is a link to a succession/rotation vegetable gardening protocol, which can be run with 3 or 5 garden beds, and will produce vegetables year round, in all beds, in a sub-tropical climate. I have devised it, and now tested it for 3 full years. It’s getting better each year, building soil.
    https://www.johndayblog.com/2016/07/liberty-garden-central-texas-climate.html

Nassim
    Participant

“At 71 (and childless) I find myself with a smug sense of indifference towards the ignorant many who have doomed us thus. May they pay dearly…”

Thank you for letting us know your viewpoint. I suspect not having kids is either a consequence of having a rather negative outlook or the negative outlook discouraged you from having any.

I have 3 – and only started having them at the age of 40 so I guess that must also colour my outlook.

The way I see it, there are two main types who care (the vast majority don’t know what we are even talking about). There are those who think that we live on a static planet – where things change in very predictable ways – and those who acknowledge that we live in a dynamic planet. I belong to the second lot.

Regarding the kelp in the ocean south of Australia – the Australian Bight.

“The lack of surface runoff and terrestrial nutrients results in the relatively shallow waters of the Great Australian Bight being generally low in nutrients, and therefore oligotrophic, compared with many other continental shelves which support major fisheries.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Australian_Bight

Yes, it is a crap area for fishing as the lack of fresh water discourages seaweed. I tried to find any secondary support of the Atlantic article and was unable to do so. Lots of people go diving in that area so I am rather surprised that these seem to be the only ones who have noticed that kelp forests have disappeared. Anyway, assuming that it is based on fact, and not some very localised phenomenon, let’s try and compare it with other areas of Australia.

“Outback phenomenon as flooding rains bring scores of fish to life”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-16/outback-phenomenon-as-countless-fish-spring-to-life/7417374

Here is the video: https://www.facebook.com/marreehotel/videos/1115852208436531/

These fish were buried in dry soil for years and as soon as it rained properly, came back to “life”. Obviously, they have developed this skill over millions of years by natural selection.

What makes you think that kelp is any different?

V. Arnold
    Participant

John Day

Yeah Pogo. And tis true enough; we’re our own worst enemy and every (many indigenous cultures excepted) one of us has responsibility for our present and future; what there will be of it.
    Your garden is beautiful and obviously bountiful.
    We’re about 80 miles west of BKK and semi-rural. Most of the houses in our small village are surrounded by cement and tile; the only growing is done in pots.
    We on the other hand planted trees strategically for shading the house and opted for Malaysian grass in lieu of concrete. At 13°N. Latitude it gets hot, but, we’ve avoided installing air-con for 13 years. This summer was brutal (60 days of 39°- 41°c) and after 30 days of it I finally cracked and we got air-con. We’re in the rainy season now and a balmy 31°- 35°c is typical and air-con not needed.
    We’ve got mangos, mulberry, papaya, a lemon tree, Thai chilis, hyacinths, and many types of orchids. My wife is a master at composting and it shows in our plants and trees.
    We’re very fortunate and know it.

John Day
    Participant

@V.Arnold
    You live in a nice area of the world. It’s easy to arrange things to keep you more comfortable than one would think from the numbers. I caught malaria trekking in Thailand, and my older son got appendicitis in Cambodia, so I shot him full of antibiotics, got the family to Bangkok the next day, and he left that traitorous appendix at Sririraj Hospital. He got wonderful care and we left a big thank-you gift. That was December 2005. Obviously, we chose not to travel there in the summer, which my wife and I once did. Mountains or ocean in the summer…

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ John Day
    I caught dengue fever a few years back; but our area is malaria free. About equal distance from BKK and the Burmese border here.
    It is a very nice part of the world; I’m in my 14th year here and know beyond a doubt I made the right decision.
    Yes, quality medical care is available and very cheap compared to the west (especially the U.S.) as you well know.
    My wife is a civil servant and through her I have medical coverage at Sririraj Hospital. I also have Thai SS for non-serious medical locally for about $12 USD per mos. I taught at a government school for over 5 years and that qualified me for coverage.
    I hope the military junta doesn’t discourage you from travelling here; some things are demonstrably better under the present ruler.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.